Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hard drives/storage  (Read 9801 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 07:47:18 »

Bunging it in here. I'm looking for an NM Card. Just wondering if anyone has seen any decent prices/deals for either a 128 or 256gb one.

TIA Smiley
If you mean NVMe then you will struggle to better this price/speed/cost.

https://www.ebuyer.com/909706-kingston-250gb-a2000-m2-nvme-ssd-sa2000m8-250g

250gb Kingston for £45 inc vat.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 21:23:44 »

If you mean NVMe then you will struggle to better this price/speed/cost.

https://www.ebuyer.com/909706-kingston-250gb-a2000-m2-nvme-ssd-sa2000m8-250g

250gb Kingston for £45 inc vat.

Sorry PV not NVMe. I do mean NM. It's a newish storage device for a phone. Its very much like a Nano Sim but is "originally" called a Nano Memory card. Thanks though Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 08:05:32 »

Sorry PV not NVMe. I do mean NM. It's a newish storage device for a phone. Its very much like a Nano Sim but is "originally" called a Nano Memory card. Thanks though Smiley

Developed by Huawei so you have to use their proprietary card rather than Micro USB which is cheaper, faster and has greater capacity. That being said most phones don't have expandable storage so it's another option to have other than the cloud.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 08:29:51 »

Ah cool no probs, just checking Smiley

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 04:43:29 »

Developed by Huawei so you have to use their proprietary card rather than Micro USB which is cheaper, faster and has greater capacity. That being said most phones don't have expandable storage so it's another option to have other than the cloud.

Yeah that's the one but I'd heard that a few other manufacturers were starting to develop them too (obviously not Samsung) so wondered if anyone had seen. More manufacturers of course brings down the price.

I assume you mean Micro SD, as that's the usual go to for most smartphones with expandable. True, but for me at present R@90Mbps & W@80mbps is fast enough for me and on a phone 256gb of expandable is plenty (I'm fairly good at archiving), plus if I encode to H.265 I think that saves about ⅓ of space too. Plus the phone comes with 128 & 256gb internal.

Yep, saves having to source more cloud or ughhh paying for more. Plus when archived I can at least know if I lose it/corrupt the card then it'll be on me largely.

Although few have rivalled the SD/MicroSD market, making the NM the same size as the Nano Sim could be a masterstroke in terms of production. We may only be talking a few pence per unit but it could mean only one jig size for two processes (SIM & Memory). If they can get the NM to read levels of 100mbps then someone like SanDisk might start making them? But I imagine the two go hand in hand and the likes of SanDisk are already testing NM cards (trying to increase R speed). Time will tell.

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 04:50:51 »

Ah cool no probs, just checking Smiley

You're welcome mate. Hope you're doing alright? Btw, I do like a good curry that doesn't use cream. Those legumes emulsify enough that it makes cream exempt. I like soups done that way too. Used to make a nice Courgette & Mint Soup. Mind fuck though, you could have bowlfuls of it on a Summer's day and it really would cool you down Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

Peter Venkman

« Reply #21 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 08:47:11 »

You're welcome mate. Hope you're doing alright? Btw, I do like a good curry that doesn't use cream. Those legumes emulsify enough that it makes cream exempt. I like soups done that way too. Used to make a nice Courgette & Mint Soup. Mind fuck though, you could have bowlfuls of it on a Summer's day and it really would cool you down Smiley
Anytime mate. Have a go at that curry, its well worth it!

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 17:00:23 »

Yeah that's the one but I'd heard that a few other manufacturers were starting to develop them too (obviously not Samsung) so wondered if anyone had seen. More manufacturers of course brings down the price.

I assume you mean Micro SD, as that's the usual go to for most smartphones with expandable. True, but for me at present R@90Mbps & W@80mbps is fast enough for me and on a phone 256gb of expandable is plenty (I'm fairly good at archiving), plus if I encode to H.265 I think that saves about ⅓ of space too. Plus the phone comes with 128 & 256gb internal.

Yep, saves having to source more cloud or ughhh paying for more. Plus when archived I can at least know if I lose it/corrupt the card then it'll be on me largely.

Although few have rivalled the SD/MicroSD market, making the NM the same size as the Nano Sim could be a masterstroke in terms of production. We may only be talking a few pence per unit but it could mean only one jig size for two processes (SIM & Memory). If they can get the NM to read levels of 100mbps then someone like SanDisk might start making them? But I imagine the two go hand in hand and the likes of SanDisk are already testing NM cards (trying to increase R speed). Time will tell.

Yep micro SD, not sure why I put micro usb.

I've only used 20% of storage on my phone, I don't think I'll ever need to worry about using up the space!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 18:34:38 »

Anytime mate. Have a go at that curry, its well worth it!

Will do for sure. Was thinking of going 1 parts Gara Masala to 4 parts curry powder then soak some chilli flakes in. Live the fragrance of gara and the softer heat and hits of chill flakes Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 18:39:46 »

Yep micro SD, not sure why I put micro usb.

I've only used 20% of storage on my phone, I don't think I'll ever need to worry about using up the space!

Likewise but I'll prob use expandable as an intermediary for transferring images separately, allowing me to 
continue using the phone at optimum speed and less latency. At least, it should be more efficient. Plus I do like having "cold" storage as a back up to the cloud.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: