Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dags  (Read 10306 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 09:51:08 »

We have decided to get a dog, now the main debate is over what model to get, missus and small person firstly wanted a Dachshund but being 6'4 I think it would look silly so that been discounted, now maybe Corgi or Beagle, although also veering towards a rescue (from Romania maybe).

Any suggestions, caveats seem to be, shouldn't be too big, dumps shouldn't be too big and whilst it needs to be lively to live with a 6 year old, should also be a lazy twat like my good self a lot of the time.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:09:11 »

I've got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Small, big heart, very lazy (although he is a Spaniel and does have Spaniel esque energy when he wants), big appetite and great personalities. He's good with kids as he likes playing with them but most of the time he just chills and doesn't really require long walks although he loves going out to the big country park by my house. Obviously I'm a bit biased, but they are great lap dogs. Biggest downside is the amount of hair he sheds, but you get used to it and I've got one of thse animal dysons which clears it up pretty neatly.

From your description a similar breed might be good. Have you looked at cockapoos? Super popular atm. Smaller dogs with great temperaments and they don't shed.

This might help decide what type you want...

https://dogtime.com/quiz/dog-breed-selector
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:13:13 by Tails » Logged
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:14:14 »

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/12/05/12-low-energy-dogs.aspx

When we inevitably get a dog, it will be one from this list. :-)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:15:49 »

I've got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Small, big heart, very lazy (although he is a Spaniel and does have Spaniel esque energy when he wants), big appetite and great personalities. He's good with kids as he likes playing with them but most of the time he just chills and doesn't really require long walks although he loves going out to the big country park by my house. Obviously I'm a bit biased, but they are great lap dogs. Biggest downside is the amount of hair he sheds, but you get used to it and I've got one of thse animal dysons which clears it up pretty neatly.

From your description a similar breed might be good. Have you looked at cockapoos? Super popular atm. Smaller dogs with great temperaments and they don't shed.

This might help decide what type you want...

https://dogtime.com/quiz/dog-breed-selector

We like the sound of the King Charles.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:22:38 »

No intention of getting a dog myself but do love Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Was around a few of them when I was little and they were great.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:26:20 »

No intention of getting a dog myself but do love Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Was around a few of them when I was little and they were great.

Yeah they are lovable little dogs, which  is why I got one! My missus HATED dogs before she met me and was terrified when she first met him and now they are best mates. Same with my friends who don't like dogs, they all love him.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:32:29 »

Bit of advice. Do not take insurance out. Instead put the money aside each month. Pet insurance companies are a nightmare. Trust me. We had to pay out £5k as they wouldn't pay for surgery.

We have a cockapoo. She is a right bitch.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:33:25 »

Hadn't thought of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, friends had a Cocker when I was a kid and she was a good dog, Springers are too big and lively!

Will add that to the list.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:37:15 »

Aren't KCS's a bit "toy"? Proper small but tough is a Jack Russell (flop ears, longer legs, no tail-dock). Fantastically game little dogs and great companions.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:56:59 »

maybe Corgi or Beagle

If you want a stress free life, don't get a Beagle.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:57:20 »

Please consider getting a rescue dog if you can. Loads of dogs here and abroad that need rehoming.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 10:58:26 »

Rescue dogs are a big risk though especially if you have young kids.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 11:05:15 »

Rescue dogs are a big risk though especially if you have young kids.
No they're not, as long as you go via a responsible rehoming organisation. They don't just grab dogs out of the shelters and sling them out to anyone. The dogs will be fostered and assessed to see what kind of home they are suitable for. There are some rescue dogs that need a bit more TLC than others because of their past history but any responsible rehoming organisation will tell you that and wouldn't rehome the dog with you if (e.g.) the dog wasn't good with kids or needed someone to be around most of the day and you are out at work all day. You're far more likely to encounter problems with an irresponsible breeder or puppy farm than a good rehoming organisation.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 11:09:50 »

Bit of advice. Do not take insurance out. Instead put the money aside each month. Pet insurance companies are a nightmare. Trust me. We had to pay out £5k as they wouldn't pay for surgery.

We have a cockapoo. She is a right bitch.

We use petplan for our cats and have never had a problem with them. Been advised against the cheaper ones though, as they’re the kind that will stinge you

Things get better but they never get good
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 11:19:10 »

No they're not, as long as you go via a responsible rehoming organisation. They don't just grab dogs out of the shelters and sling them out to anyone. The dogs will be fostered and assessed to see what kind of home they are suitable for. There are some rescue dogs that need a bit more TLC than others because of their past history but any responsible rehoming organisation will tell you that and wouldn't rehome the dog with you if (e.g.) the dog wasn't good with kids or needed someone to be around most of the day and you are out at work all day. You're far more likely to encounter problems with an irresponsible breeder or puppy farm than a good rehoming organisation.

All true and agreeable. It's still a risk in my opinion, but like with any dog it's always a risk when kids are involved!

We use petplan for our cats and have never had a problem with them. Been advised against the cheaper ones though, as they’re the kind that will stinge you

I've known people to have issues with petplan as well. It's like with any insurance, be it pets, home or car. You don't know what they are like until you need them.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: