Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Internet Problems  (Read 9363 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 09:29:16 »

Anyone have any ideas regarding this?

I work from an office at the bottom of the garden, connected to the net via a buried (in a duct) cable as the wi-fi is about 5 metres too short for me to pick it up.

Worked fine for about 18 months but now office has got incredibly slow. Net works fine in house yet up here whilst things like TEF will work as normal email is pedestrian slow as is upload speed, I have a voip (think that's what its called) phone up here and that works fine also.

All seems to have coincided (although may be entirely coincidentally) with windows doing a massive update on Friday afternoon last week?

Any ideas, I could replace the cable but that would mean digging the bloody garden up again, likewise whilst we could just try wi-fi extenders would a voip phone work with that?

Its starting to piss me off now!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 09:41:32 »

Given that your VOIP phone is working it is highly unlikely to be a network issue as VOIP is uniquely sensitive to latency and packet loss. There is a whole industry around maintaining VOIP over poor connections.

Have you got another computer/laptop you can try? I would rule out the endpoint device before thinking about your cabling.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 09:43:40 »

Unlikely to be the cable, sounds like a software rather than network issue (as you say VOIP and browsing are OK, but just email that is slow). Might be worth playing dumb and calling your ISP's tech support people though, they may try to rule out known software issues first, so might be able to work you through a checklist of known issues, esp if there's just been a big Windows update, that always causes problems
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 09:48:50 »

Like others have said, probably windows update. Which email system do you use? Could be an issue with their system. Have you tried something like GMail? Is that slow?

Are the emails slow to send/receive?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 10:02:55 »

Thanks all.

I could try the wife's laptop, problem is she doesn't use outlook which is the email package I use and is running bloody slowly. Just tried to upload a file to the net (to compress a PDF) and its suggesting the upload speed is 9kbs at the moment so suspect that's where the blockage seems to be lying!

Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 10:14:59 »

Have you tried the web version of outlook?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 10:57:09 »

Have you tried the web version of outlook?

That would mean my trying to dig out my outlook password etc.  Sad Cheesy

We do have some IT support, I will probably leave it for now and get in touch with him after the weekend!

Thanks again, frankly its the issue with the cabling which was worrying me as it would involve ballache physical works, if its software based it can be sorted.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 10:58:33 »

If you are worried about the cabling, you can get a cable tester for less than a tenner.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 11:00:39 »

If you are worried about the cabling, you can get a cable tester for less than a tenner.

Ta!

One bloody thing, the update seems to have installed a new programme called Microsoft Teams which opens on start up and seems loathe to disappear!
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 11:10:26 »

Not sure of the layout of your garden but would you not be able to tie new cable to the old one and pull it through the Conduit?
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 11:26:44 »

DNS
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 11:45:10 »

just to totally rule out cabling, which to be honest the Tef already has, can't you just plug your laptop into the router with a much shorter cable inside the house.

bound to be a Microsoft update fuck up.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 12:05:09 »

Not sure of the layout of your garden but would you not be able to tie new cable to the old one and pull it through the Conduit?

Its getting into either end of the conduit which would be the problem...

DNS

Huh?

just to totally rule out cabling, which to be honest the Tef already has, can't you just plug your laptop into the router with a much shorter cable inside the house.

bound to be a Microsoft update fuck up.

Could do I s'spose...

Thing is it works just fine on the wi-fi in the house.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 12:07:00 »

yes but WiFi is a different network connection/driver.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 12:10:36 »

yes but WiFi is a different network connection/driver.

Ah... apologies when it comes to IT I don't have a fucking clue!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: