Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Extinction Rebellion 'n' shit.  (Read 10737 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 02:30:54 »

My own spin on this is permaculture. I've over the last maybe 3 or 4 years been looking into it fairly intensively. For anyone new to it, it's a form of self sufficiency and how we can use our current environment and modern spaces to introduce a whole ecosystem as well as reintroduce flora and fauna. I'm hoping to network later in the year with a bunch of people in the USA who are driving forces in permaculture (because I don't know everything about it yet). All I do know is that via permaculture and suchlike, we CAN all do SOMETHING to make our local ecology be restored to nature, whilst also benefiting from the fruits of our labour. Quite literally.

Extinction rebellion. I'm all for it. Those complaining about a motorway being closed will realise the irony that most motorways in the UK aren't even fit for purpose anymore. Because most of the time they're fucking gridlocked anyway.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 02:52:27 by bamboonoshop » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Panda Paws

« Reply #61 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 08:21:15 »

I don't think their right or wrong to take the action they're taking, and some action is needed. I do think they're stupid though. Public support is key to growing a protest movement into something more substantial, and their actions will not build that.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 08:44:36 »

I don't think their right or wrong to take the action they're taking, and some action is needed. I do think they're stupid though. Public support is key to growing a protest movement into something more substantial, and their actions will not build that.

The view of the general public on this issue (climate change) is very difficult to ascertain.... on the surface you'd imagine that nobody would disgree with the notion that as members of a species occupying a planet under threat, that individually and collectively we should be doing something about it, but even just reading the views on here, you can see it isn't the case.

The nuts and bolts of protest suggest that you need to get at about 3.5% of the population... the opinion formers, movers and shakers.  Shift them and the rest flip overnight.

However that is very difficult.... as can be seen by the presence of a climate change denier in the White House and his lapdog soon to be PM of the UK.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 08:49:04 »

I think the general public are on board. Up to the point that action (I mean those needed to reverse climate issues) impacts their lives significantly. Human nature.

Not everyone is like this, obviously. Just in general.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 08:51:26 »

Be interested to know the percentage of "activists" who own a petrol/diesel car, jet abroad each year on holiday. 
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 10:19:20 »

I think the general public are on board. Up to the point that action (I mean those needed to reverse climate issues) impacts their lives significantly. Human nature.

Not everyone is like this, obviously. Just in general.

Generally agree, but corrected as there was a superfluous word in there... I remain genuinely shocked how thoroughly uninterested the population at large are about something which is going to fuck our kids lives up, but to be fair after Brexit nothing surprises me anymore.

Anyway which one of you was this. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/extinction-rebellion-bristol-protest-traffic-3104325
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 12:00:22 »

Top man

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 12:13:05 »

So his friend can't walk 1/4 of a mile to work but does a cleaning job???
Seems like a typical selfish motorist to me who lost it as they were inconvenienced by it.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 12:41:47 by Arriba » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 12:13:48 »

They've spent too many years worrying the population about the cost of trying to do something about Climate Change, and not enough scaring the shit out of us about the financial costs of doing nothing.  Take Miami and New Orleans, both having to spend Billions of Dollars now to avoid going under water.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 12:33:17 »

Its similar over here. In England, the Government currently spends around £0.6 billion each year on building and maintaining flood defences, with the Environment Agency recently recommending an annual spend of £1 billion on all flood risk management.

Mate of mine works for the EA and is quite senior in their climate change monitoring and resilience programme, in his case basically advising all the LPA's in Manchester what they need to do.

He is pretty much resigned to the fact that we are fucked* unless the public wake up in the next 1-2 years.

*not helped by the fact that a hell of a lot of the funding for these programmes comes from the EU and is slowly vanishing.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 13:28:52 »

Its similar over here.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/18/this-is-a-wake-up-call-the-villagers-who-could-be-britains-first-climate-refugees
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: