Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Extinction Rebellion 'n' shit.  (Read 10735 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 13:07:41 »

So Corbyn is to blame for climate change ?

George Monbiot, has been decent on this for years... and sums up the present state in this article....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/15/rebellion-prevent-ecological-apocalypse-civil-disobedience
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 13:10:29 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 13:12:08 »

Absolute bunch of cretins, amount of police and ambulances I’ve seen held up by their blockades around Bristol is putting people’s lives at risk here and now. Working on often controversial projects like HS2 and HPC a lot of them are the usual faces who protest about everything but don’t seem to add anything to society. They just claim their profession is ‘raising awareness’.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 13:15:29 »

Mods, I think we have been hacked and merged with BTL on the Mail site!  Cheesy
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 13:39:57 »

Absolute bunch of cretins, amount of police and ambulances I’ve seen held up by their blockades around Bristol is putting people’s lives at risk here and now. Working on often controversial projects like HS2 and HPC a lot of them are the usual faces who protest about everything but don’t seem to add anything to society. They just claim their profession is ‘raising awareness’.

Not to mention the missed/delayed NHS hospital appointments. Though that benefited me as we walked straight in.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 13:44:29 »

Bandwagon
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 14:01:44 »

A lot of them are clueless about what they are actually even protesting about which doesn’t help their cause. They say it is climate change and being carbon neutral but some of them are going on about nuclear contributing to it and should all be shut down. Based on what they want more nuclear is exactly what they need as it is carbon neutral, obviously getting lost between the various other uninformed protests they attend.

I especially like the ‘no drugs or alcohol in the camp site’ signs they have all over Castle Park. The fact they have needed to do that does do much for their image.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 14:17:37 »

7.7 billion humans approximately , you only need 4,169 as a viable population, lots of wiggle room there
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 16:59:41 »

Some mild property damage in comparison to the potential break down of global economies, etc. I know which I'd prefer to see.

You present that as if these are the only two options available.

Obviously I'd rather you shot me in the foot than in the head.  But I'd actually prefer that you didn't shoot me at all.

Voicing a concern that ER's actions may be counter-productive seems valid to me.  It isn't reasonable for you to  extrapolate that anyone who doesn't support ER is therefore automatically blind to climate change and the need for action.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 17:29:00 »

I can only write of my experiences but, being based around BS3 and BS4, the 'inconvenience' impact on south Bristol hasn't been nearly as bad as what we were warned to brace ourselves for (Bristol Post clickbait put the fear of god in to lots of people).

We knew about this in advance so many of us (who could) changed our commute to avoid delays and the roads have been noticeable quieter as a result.

I was in the city centre yesterday and the mood was generally really quite nice with emergency services moving around quite easily (definitely saw a couple of ambulences on the move).

Appreciate my observations aren't definitive.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 18:39:22 »

Locally an ER activist has been wondering out loud, why SBC hasn't declared a climate emergency, like many other councils, and so use that to guide policy locally?

This made me think of the GW Community Forest. This was designated back in 92. After the storms of the late 80's, it was decided that locking up carbon in trees, was an effective method of carbon reduction. Around those years, I was involved in 3 planting projects... at the time 3% of the Borough and surrounding areas designated as GWF were wooded, the aim was to get it up nearer 30%.  Obviously not possible in more urban Swindon, so this was to be made up by planting in more suitable areas.

The original aims of the GWF were not just carbon sinking but well-being, health and fitness, biophilia etc..... somewhere in the intervening years it seems to have got lost, in a sea of sawn down trees and ripped up hedges of new housing developments.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 18:42:17 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 19:07:30 »

Fair play to them, at least someone is trying. As for disruption I worked through the London one no problems, and I go from south to north everyday.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 20:01:17 »

I think they are just a bunch of hippy cunts.

That’s my opinion on it all.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 20:28:58 »

Ditto.

But my gripe was the stupidity of blocking the M32, and of the police (initially) doing sod all.

If it's ok to do that kind of stuff, then let's all do it next time we have a gripe.

They can be hippy cunts as much as they like, we all know humanity is on a course for self districting.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 21:10:51 »

I can only write of my experiences but, being based around BS3 and BS4, the 'inconvenience' impact on south Bristol hasn't been nearly as bad as what we were warned to brace ourselves for (Bristol Post clickbait put the fear of god in to lots of people).

We knew about this in advance so many of us (who could) changed our commute to avoid delays and the roads have been noticeable quieter as a result.

I was in the city centre yesterday and the mood was generally really quite nice with emergency services moving around quite easily (definitely saw a couple of ambulences on the move).

Appreciate my observations aren't definitive.
Whereas I got stuck in all that M32 shit this morning as trains weren't running due a train hitting something and it was backed up all the way to junction 19 of the M4. My office is having to operate on effectively a double gate basis as they threatened to occupy it so we've had to get G4S in to man the doors and let people in and out.
Been lots on the news about NHS staff struggling to get to work or out to see patients for home visits. With the roadworks in the city centre already it's just causing people more misery.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 21:31:03 »

What these clowns fail to realise is that the very people they are inconveniencing (general public) aren’t the people they should be inconveniencing (politicians).

FYI just noticed there is a documentary about them due to start on BBC1
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 21:34:34 by Abrahammer » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: