Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The frozen budget (not rumours) thread  (Read 10221 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:43:31 »

If the budget is the same as last year, which appears to be the case, but we have less players on the payroll as per RW's intention then I assume there would be a little more money to spend on wages, or am I being too optimistic?  Hmmm

In a perfect world, Wellens would have a finely designed squad of about 20 all fit and and firing, and raring to go... however in the real world, there will always be a certain number of deadwood players, through injury, falling out, either with the gaffer or of form etc.  You have to budget for this and hope you can keep them to a minimum.... if you get a critical mass of disaffected players it can lead to a sort of 10/11 situation whereby on paper what looks an OK squad ends up as one of our poorer sides.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:48:55 »

The fact is there isn't much money, lack of investment has seen performances decline and gates/revenue fall.
We have performed worse, year on year, under LP and despite all the big talk, most of our squad rebuilding will take place a week before the season starts with free's and loans. We may get a player or two like Nelson (please god) but building a quality team which has trained and is ready to go from the start isn't going to happen. Keep doing what you've been doing and you'll keep getting the same result.
I don't think it is a lack of investment that's been to blame (you could always spend more of course) but the bigger factor has been some very poor decision making, particularly the hiring/firing of managers and squad building.
Didn't we reportedly spend over £500k plus top wages on Woolery and Anderson!  Cracking "Investment".

If you look at the guys that left over the summer
 - Vigs, Taylor, Richards and Lancashire must have all been on top wages for this league, none of whom were playing regularly under Wellens.
 - Dunne, McCourt, Smith again barely played.   (Probably on a fair whack too given Phil Brown's DM fetish!)
 - Bennett and Robinson, we must have been paying most of their wages, or why would league 1 clubs have loaned them out.  By all accounts Bennett was Rovers' top earner
 - Robertson!!!!

Surely if you use that money properly and balance the squad better, you don't need to spend more.  After all you don't have to be world beaters to get out this league - just less shit than the others.
Panda Paws

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:49:47 »

With inflation and price rises in fuel etc... a freeze is effectively a cut.

In wider economics, sure. In football? You haven't got a clue, and nor have I, what the market is doing at our end.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:52:09 »

I don't think it is a lack of investment that's been to blame (you could always spend more of course) but the bigger factor has been some very poor decision making, particularly the hiring/firing of managers and squad building.
Didn't we reportedly spend over £500k plus top wages on Woolery and Anderson!  Cracking "Investment".

If you look at the guys that left over the summer
 - Vigs, Taylor, Richards and Lancashire must have all been on top wages for this league, none of whom were playing regularly under Wellens.
 - Dunne, McCourt, Smith again barely played.   (Probably on a fair whack too given Phil Brown's DM fetish!)
 - Bennett and Robinson, we must have been paying most of their wages, or why would league 1 clubs have loaned them out.  By all accounts Bennett was Rovers' top earner
 - Robertson!!!!

Surely if you use that money properly and balance the squad better, you don't need to spend more.  After all you don't have to be world beaters to get out this league - just less shit than the others.

Who does this guy think he is... on here for 5 minutes and already talking sense. Time to wield the ban hammer, mods?

Wellens has said himself that the top earners in the squad weren't even playing, which shows just how much potential there is for improvement should we get the recruitment right, especially with the reduced squad size.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:57:47 »

Some players Preston for example, wanted to leave. I get the feeling Knoyle and Conroy want to stay but, understandably, on better contracts.

Money better spent on those 2 than, for example, signing another ‘Dave’ on what must be decent money.

The budget isn’t just for new players. Maybe I’m over egging Knoyle and Conroy, but could we expect better replacements?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:58:22 »

So no negative comment about the budget and no backtracking on previous plans then.

Amazing how many people confuse the words "as early as possible" with "before the end of May".

It's inevitable that people take this as a bad sign.... don't forget we had the Wellens thing about, what I describe as the broken club, and he said atm it's a side not a club and he wants to restore that sense of it being properly run.

Now in Power's world, properly run, means not spunking money on things like wages, until the last minute, holding out til the deadline to get your loans and probably now not bothering too much with friendlies, tours etc, because there won't be much of a squad.

In the fan's world, we want to see some sign of intent, players offered contracts to, seemingly keen to put pen to paper, and realistic talk.... which could even be saying.... we're all going on a summer holiday so there'll be nothing until say mid June.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 09:29:31 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 09:09:01 »

Wellens has said himself that the top earners in the squad weren't even playing, which shows just how much potential there is for improvement should we get the recruitment right, especially with the reduced squad size.

In a perfect world... but you have to be very lucky if using a small squad. One of then recurring features of our recent struggles has been injuries to key players either in pre season or early season.  It is a distinct luxury at Div 4 level to be able to carry the necessary squad men, but that is what marks out intent.
Panda Paws

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 09:10:06 »

It's inevitable that people take this as a bad sign.... don't forget we had the Wellens thing about, what I describe as the broken club, and he side atm it's a side not a club and he wants to restore that sense of it being properly run.

Now in Power's world, properly run, means not spunking money on things like wages, until the last minute, holding out til the deadline to get your loans and probably now not bothering too much with friendlies, tours etc, because there won't be much of a squad .

In the fan's world, we want to see some sign of intent, players offered contracts to, seemingly keen to put pen to paper, and realistic talk.... which could even be saying.... we're all going on a summer holiday so there'll be nothing until say mid June.

Again, you're just making things up. RW said in a post-match at the end of the season that we have a full roster of pre-season fixtures confirmed already.
Waffle

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 09:24:26 »

Again, you're just making things up. RW said in a post-match at the end of the season that we have a full roster of pre-season fixtures confirmed already.

To be honest I don't think he would of organised a full pre-season already if he didn't have a plan. Their must be a couple players we are looking at and are going to trial in those games? I may have this wrong, but isn't that how we got Knoyle? Rather then announcing him from the off?

Also If I am honest I wasn't expecting much in May, the market has just opened and most contracts end in some point in June and everyone is on holiday while demanding a lot more then they are worth. I feel like some people are getting a little to eager, which is good, but we have to look at it realistically, we are currently in league 2 we aren't going to splashing out mass amounts on every player but we need to be realistic with our budget, if its the same as last year we are aren't the best budget in the league but we still have a reasonably good one, especially after cutting away the high earners who don't play.

For once I actually trust a manager for his recruitment which is a surprise to say. He brought in some good signings, Bennett and Robinson for example in January and look how well they played for us in the end. Also he has looked at youth and from the looks of the two guys he signed in January, I think they could work their way into the first team following a good preseason.

Also isn't RW on holiday, or did I misread that?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 09:27:23 »

Well that's encouraging, and I look forward to seeing the properly structured list.... recently we've had the usual games v 'Marine and Melksham, with perhaps a late addition behind closed doors job.  I'm not sure the last time we had a rake of high level games in 15/16 is the best way to go, but the 14,000 crowd v Scousers did generate some excitement.
Panda Paws

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 09:28:29 »

To be honest I don't think he would of organised a full pre-season already if he didn't have a plan. Their must be a couple players we are looking at and are going to trial in those games? I may have this wrong, but isn't that how we got Knoyle? Rather then announcing him from the off?

Also If I am honest I wasn't expecting much in May, the market has just opened and most contracts end in some point in June and everyone is on holiday while demanding a lot more then they are worth. I feel like some people are getting a little to eager, which is good, but we have to look at it realistically, we are currently in league 2 we aren't going to splashing out mass amounts on every player but we need to be realistic with our budget, if its the same as last year we are aren't the best budget in the league but we still have a reasonably good one, especially after cutting away the high earners who don't play.

For once I actually trust a manager for his recruitment which is a surprise to say. He brought in some good signings, Bennett and Robinson for example in January and look how well they played for us in the end. Also he has looked at youth and from the looks of the two guys he signed in January, I think they could work their way into the first team following a good preseason.

Also isn't RW on holiday, or did I misread that?

RW said he's taking (took) a short break - he was back in the club last week given he was doing club media.

And Knoyle trialed for us at Woking. He looked good that day and proved to be a shrewd pick up.

We should somehow be able to ban serious discussions about football until July 1.
Waffle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 09:30:19 »

We should somehow be able to ban serious discussions about football until July 1.

That would be the ideal world wouldn't it, all the experts on here, including us, need a break haha
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 09:39:58 »

Well that's encouraging, and I look forward to seeing the properly structured list.... recently we've had the usual games v 'Marine and Melksham, with perhaps a late addition behind closed doors job.

.....with perhaps 2 home games against higher league opposition like last pre-season.

Thought you were a facts man
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 10:08:11 »

I heard (not sure where) that we had lined up pre-season friendlies with Birmingham City and a Man U XI.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 10:10:20 »

So no negative comment about the budget and no backtracking on previous plans then.

Amazing how many people confuse the words "as early as possible" with "before the end of May".
Equally, Wellens is no mug, he will be well aware that his words will cause precisely the reaction they have even if he has quite carefully worded it. He's clearly looking to provoke a reaction IMO
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: