Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you think we are shaping up?  (Read 106736 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #270 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 11:01:47 »

But how is that any different for any other basement club. Stockley, Doidge, Norwood all fall into the ‘get lucky’ category.
Exactly, and every side in this division that has a striker who has scored over 15 goals has ended up either promoted or are in the play offs.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 11:05:24 »

Nobody expects Wellens to be able to buy a 20 goal a season striker - even Lincoln who bought Akinde and paid big wages were hardly rewarded with his goal return (take out the pens).

So, yes, it will be luck if we get one - ditto the other 23 clubs.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #272 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 11:10:19 »

Nobody expects Wellens to be able to buy a 20 goal a season striker - even Lincoln who bought Akinde and paid big wages were hardly rewarded with his goal return (take out the pens).

So, yes, it will be luck if we get one - ditto the other 23 clubs.
Indeed, every club wants a striker who can grab 15 to 20 or more goals a season.

Its not rocket science to realise that a striker who can bag that many will ease the burden on the rest of the team.

Mansfield got a good one in Walker on loan, decent youngsters are out there if they themselves want to further themselves by dropping a few divisions.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 11:11:29 »

I guess 'luck' (or good scouting) comes into it as we are certainly not able to blow budget on a proven striker (unless a Richards type). Well, I'd be surprised anyway.

But we certainly need one that can score no matter how it comes about.

Personally I'd like to see us get our target(s) nice and early, and one of the type I'd go for is a lower league 'gamble' rather than someone who has been around the block not scoring much. Can we afford such a luxury in a small squad though?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 11:19:22 »

I guess 'luck' (or good scouting) comes into it as we are certainly not able to blow budget on a proven striker (unless a Richards type). Well, I'd be surprised anyway.

But we certainly need one that can score no matter how it comes about.

Personally I'd like to see us get our target(s) nice and early, and one of the type I'd go for is a lower league 'gamble' rather than someone who has been around the block not scoring much. Can we afford such a luxury in a small squad though?

Someone like Norwood is interesting.... 28 years old, this is is his first league season.... moved from FGR to Tranny... 

I still think we need to go for numbers rather than rely on the punt coming off as the odds are against.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #275 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 11:22:11 »

Someone like Norwood is interesting.... 28 years old, this is is his first league season.... moved from FGR to Tranny... 
It may be his first full league season but in the Conference he has bagged 20, 14, 19, 19 and a 15 in the last few seasons so not a massive risk as hes obviously a proven scorer and has improved with better players around him.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 11:30:43 »

It may be his first full league season but in the Conference he has bagged 20, 14, 19, 19 and a 15 in the last few seasons so not a massive risk as hes obviously a proven scorer and has improved with better players around him.

Steady rather than  steller numbers.... the likes of Vardy, did 30 odd in just over 30 games, which is why Leicester took him.

So presumably why league clubs were unwilling to take a punt...
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 11:35:00 »

There was lower league clamour for Ricky Miller last season - or the one before - another failure.

Posh seem to be able to spot a striker on a regular basis.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #278 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 11:35:29 »

Steady rather than  steller numbers.... the likes of Vardy, did 30 odd in just over 30 games, which is why Leicester took him.

So presumably why league clubs were unwilling to take a punt...
Steady, absolutely, which is why he went to Tranmere rather than a team higher up the ladder.

Vardy was well known as a high scorer when at Halifax and Fleetwood, he had scouts of almost every club after him, we even put in a bid to sign him when PdC was in charge.

Which makes me wonder why teams have not taken a punt on Danny Rowe of Fylde yet.

169 goals in 4 seasons, 26 goals this season with just 3 of them being penalties.

I can only think that at 30 he is considered too old by many clubs.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:52:58 »

I know nothing about Rowe, not that it means a lot.  However, I think we have to be realistic, I know for some that is difficult, but I just don't see Power sanctioning the signing of a proper Div 4 style 20+ goal man.

Think back to Wise/Poyet... They wanted Rickie Lambert after he'd done a 20+ Div 4 goal season in 06 at Dale.... we couldn't afford it, even when we were spending money we didn't have... he went to Rovers for £200K.... Wise and Poyet didn't hang about for long.

If Wellens thinks Power is going to back his wish list, then he's not going to be around for long either.

Being realistic means looking at how to get more goals out of Kaiyne and Keshi.... Theo would be semi realistic, not that he's prolific, but does put in a shift.  Only semi because he'll no doubt be looking for a better deal than here, so we would be a fall back if nothing else happens.

When I talk of numbers the sort of thing in mind is the 06/07 season.  We had over the season 6 what you might call front men.... none particularly prolific, but they scored 33 between them.  In the early part fo the season, it was Roberts and Peacock who both finished on 10, Royce Brownlie chipped in a couple, and Lukas was coming through from the youths and got 5 important goals. When Sturrock came in Blair got 3 for him and then Barry Corr at deadline a further 3. Enough to paraphrase Power "limp over the line"
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:07:22 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:03:59 »

Shearer and White 89/90 - 21 & 20  (probably just shy of 20 if you take the play off games against Blackburn out, think it is 20 & 18.  Interestingly, the swindon-town-fc.co.uk site includes play off games in the league stats.  Either way we got promoted with two near 20 league goal a season strikers in the team.

Think if we add the two DV listed, the evidence shows having two at around 20 creates a promotion hunting team at worst.  Who'd have thunk it?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:06:04 »

I know nothing about Rowe, not that it means a lot.  However, I think we have to be realistic, I know for some that is difficult, but I just don't see Power sanctioning the signing of a proper Div 4 style 20+ goal man.

Think back to Wise/Poyet... They wanted Rickie Lambert after he'd done a 20+ Div 4 goal season in 06 at Dale.... we couldn't afford it, even when we were spending money we didn't have... he went to Rovers for £200K.... Wise and Poyet didn't hang about for long.

If Wellens thinks Power is going to back his wish list, then he's not going to be around for long either.

Being realistic means looking at how to get more goals out of Kaiyne and Keshi.... Theo would be semi realistic, not that he's prolific, but does put in a shift.  Only semi because he'll no doubt be looking for a better deal than here, so we would be a fall back if nothing else happens.

Once again the myth that Power doesn't spend on players rather ignoring the £350,000 spent on Woolery, I cannot imagine Anderson came for nothing etc etc.

What did we pay Liverpool for LV? I have seen £400k suggested, that cannot be right?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:09:43 »

I still don't believe that 350k figure, no real reason, just find it somewhat unlikely.

<awaits account evidence to contrary>
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:16:46 »

It was North of 150k - FGR announced the number they had been outbid on as I remember it.  The BBC reported the 350k number.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:18:31 »

Once again the myth that Power doesn't spend on players rather ignoring the £350,000 spent on Woolery, I cannot imagine Anderson came for nothing etc etc.

What did we pay Liverpool for LV? I have seen £400k suggested, that cannot be right?

We've done this so many times... these figures are always dependent on outcomes... further 350 in today's money isn't 350 13 years ago.  Kaiyne came having played 20 odd league games and scored 2 goals... a player like a Stockley, who scored near on 20 for a couple of seasons with Exeter went for 750K that's the sort of figure for proven... and needs to be reflected in wages.

THink back to Ritchie... we'd turned down a mill for him in the summer, and then sold for 400K... no doubt much of the mill was on outcomes, but when we sold we just needed cash up front not coming over the horizon.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: