Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Newport County v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 37462 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 10:08:40 »

Can you name a transfer window under Power where we haven't spent money?

The last window.... we brought in 4, and shipped out 3. Of course, the question of spend is muddied by Vigs, as although he went to Waterford, it's likely we still pay his wage, so I suppose getting in Moore carried a cost.

You'd imagine that the other 3 in, Banks and Richards were mostly covered by shipping out Goddard and Brophy. Mayo is probably being covered by Wovers as we're doing them a favour.

Now, I don't particularly object to Power's tight purse policy, but it does lead me to think that is how he'll continue to operate.  

So if it's a question of appoint a manager, unable to work with existing staff, where there will be a cost to getting them out.... or appoint someone cheaper, able to work with existing staff, he'll take the latter course.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 10:24:12 »

Did we not spend money on Anderson though?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 10:39:02 »

Did we not spend money on Anderson though?

As in a fee?  I don't know. I guess his wage post loan will have been grreater than on loan, so you're probably right.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 11:05:10 »

Pretty sure we must have paid a fee for Anderson. A few also suggesting they would bin Woolery but didn't we pay about £250k for him?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 11:12:08 »

It was reported at the time that we'd paid an undisclosed fee for Anderson. So anything from 20p to £20m, take a wild guess and use it to back your favoured hypothesis Smiley
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #230 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 11:13:42 »

I'd bin them both. Anderson is the master of running into brick walls when he can be bothered. Woolery has pace and nothing else - has the scoring instinct of Shaun Close.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 11:30:44 »

I'd bin them both. Anderson is the master of running into brick walls when he can be bothered. Woolery has pace and nothing else - has the scoring instinct of Shaun Close.

The problem is that it isn't easy to find quality forward players, and sometimes it's just right man wrong time or something.

Take Kayden Jackson, he'd do very nicely for us atm.  However, not even notching a few for Supermarine could get him a game with us.  Think we got in George Barker instead, allegedly paying a fee. George is only a year older than Kayden, and banging them in for Worthing in the Isthmian League, well when I say banging, he's scored 1, since his deadline move from H and W.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #232 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 11:41:21 »

The problem is that it isn't easy to find quality forward players, and sometimes it's just right man wrong time or something.

Take Kayden Jackson, he'd do very nicely for us atm.  However, not even notching a few for Supermarine could get him a game with us.  Think we got in George Barker instead, allegedly paying a fee. George is only a year older than Kayden, and banging them in for Worthing in the Isthmian League, well when I say banging, he's scored 1, since his deadline move from H and W.
I appreciate we're a 4th division team and our pool is limited but I'd take Richards and Norris ahead of those two any day of the week. If we could get rid, I would. As it is they're signed up for next season and I can't see anyone coming in with offers. Saying that I never thought someone would take Connor Thomas off our hands.
If we could make better use of Wollery's pace then maybe but it probably means him playing on the shoulder of the last defender. Even then he's borrowed Pat Kanyuka's head and put it on his boots. Anderson is utter tripe and I can't see him coming good.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 11:49:56 »

The first thing that needs doing is securing Brown now let's not wait until seasons end, get him signed and he can then start deciding who he wants in the squad next season and arranging pre season.

It sounded like it maybe dependant on what wages & budget he is given by power, lets hope Power doesn't think that by leaving it late like last season he can save a few quid on wages.

I think Vigs will return as Brown likes to play it out from the back and that is Vigs fortay rather than just lump it forward, I'm sure there wont be a lot of interest in him so he maybe worthwhile hanging around and have a good season back in england.

As for others I think with a bit of coaching Woolery can become a decent wide player, not sure on Keshi he seems to lack a position that he looks like he can make his own.

Hopefully Tom Smith can make an impact next season as well and Will Henry can come back and really push for a place as well
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 11:52:39 »

Woolery the most disappointing for me due to the battle to get him and the build up.

Dunne has bee poor but improved under Brown by doing the dirty stuff and releasing it instead of trying to play football.

Most others have been mediocre with bright spots.

Taylor, Richards, Preston high spots...

Clems Army!
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 11:58:34 »

Can you name a transfer window under Power where we haven't spent money?

Fans were shit, yet again, although under the circumstances I don't really blame them. However, sarcastically chanting for Moore when he made a save... I mean, it's a dick move anyway but when you're doing it 4 or 5 times it's not really ironic any more. Whoever got smashed by Hussey probably deserved it.
Don't understand what you are trying to say, why were the fans shit ?,  There were a few comments on some players commitment,  certainly can't say I heard any chanting  espcially regarding Moore,  must admit wouldn't argue with anyone regarding his positioning with the ball that was lobbed over him, what the fuck was he doing hallway up the field ?.  Don't know what was said to Hussey, but at the end of the day he's supposed to be a professional,  he had no right to do what he did and IMO if that's the way he reacts then I hope he fucks off.
Around 950 Swindon fans paid to see the game, and surely wether they stayed to the end or left early as many did, they are entitled to their opinion,  watching a shit non event game does not make us shit fans.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 12:02:52 »

The first thing that needs doing is securing Brown now let's not wait until seasons end, get him signed and he can then start deciding who he wants in the squad next season and arranging pre
I think Vigs will return as Brown likes to play it out from the back and that is Vigs fortay rather than just lump it forward, I'm sure there wont be a lot of interest in him so he maybe worthwhile hanging around and have a good season back in england.

As for others I think with a bit of coaching Woolery can become a decent wide player, not sure on Keshi he seems to lack a position that he looks like he can make his own.

Hopefully Tom Smith can make an impact next season as well and Will Henry can come back and really push for a place as well
Excellent summary,  agree 100% with everything you said,  for me the return of Vigs is paramount.   Wasn't upset when he went,  thought we had more than capable back ups,  how wrong I was.

JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 13:00:36 »

The first thing that needs doing is securing Brown now let's not wait until seasons end, get him signed and he can then start deciding who he wants in the squad next season and arranging pre season.

It sounded like it maybe dependant on what wages & budget he is given by power, lets hope Power doesn't think that by leaving it late like last season he can save a few quid on wages.

Not forgetting the return of Conroy too, I think he's been a huge miss all season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 14:00:12 »

I wince reading this.... the last thing we want to be doing in Div 4 is have Vigs fannying aroiund at the back.  Basically Vigs isn't terribly good, he is in his own mind though.

When you're a keeper in a side with a shit defence, you can look good, because plenty of saves to make..... most keepers can do that bit, it's the technical stuff that most struggle with.  Positioning at set plays... organising defenders at set plays. Positioning when out of possession in final third... concentration and keeping discipline and distribution etc

Of course, you can work at improving that side. That nobody wanted Vigs, tells you all you need to know, about how he is perceived. 

I thought when R C-C came in after the Luton debacle we looked a bit more comfortable at the back.. but once R C-C's vunerability under the high ball was exposed, that quickly drained

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 14:27:10 »

I wince reading this.... the last thing we want to be doing in Div 4 is have Vigs fannying aroiund at the back.  Basically Vigs isn't terribly good, he is in his own mind though.

When you're a keeper in a side with a shit defence, you can look good, because plenty of saves to make..... most keepers can do that bit, it's the technical stuff that most struggle with.  Positioning at set plays... organising defenders at set plays. Positioning when out of possession in final third... concentration and keeping

I thought when R C-C came in after the Luton debacle we looked a bit more comfortable at the back.. but once R C-C's vunerability under the high ball was exposed, that quickly drained

Surely that's what keeper's are for,  they are the last line of defence,  Admitted nobody came in for Vigs, but he's still better than most keepers in this division.   RCC & Moore have both been given chances and both shown they are not good enough.
Agree with you on many things Reg, but sorry,  think you're wrong on this one.

« Last Edit: Monday, April 16, 2018, 14:31:46 by swindonmaniac » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: