Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town - Official Matchday Thread  (Read 38074 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 11:25:00 »

just refreshed my memory on the transfer window changes. We have until 17th May - 9th August to make any permanent signings. 31st August for loaners and free agents.

We need someone in PDQ.

I hoped Power in private would have told Brown, view this as a pre season, have a look, sort it out ready to mount a more sustained campaign in 18/19.

However, I suspect wishful thinking on my part..... more likely that Power will attempt to do just enough to keep us up, while looking to front up for the ground sale.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 11:36:31 »

If he'd done that then there seems little point in not announcing it.

Both parties are understandably keeping their options open to see how the season pans out. I'd give him a week after seasons mathematical end to say yes or no - assuming we can afford to offer him a contract.

The '£2M ... money doesn't guarantee success' Power quotes make me think he's sowing the seeds of a more modest budget. Not sure that'll tempt Brown into trying to repair his reputation with us.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #182 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 11:37:04 »

I hoped Power in private would have told Brown, view this as a pre season, have a look, sort it out ready to mount a more sustained campaign in 18/19.

However, I suspect wishful thinking on my part..... more likely that Power will attempt to do just enough to keep us up, while looking to front up for the ground sale.
That's what I would hope but the one thing that has been abundantly clear in Powers tenure is the lack of any planning. its very much reactive and on a need to basis. Last summer being particularly crap.  
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #183 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 11:40:06 »

The '£2M ... money doesn't guarantee success' Power quotes make me think he's sowing the seeds of a more modest budget. Not sure that'll tempt Brown into trying to repair his reputation with us.
I don't think Brown has got a reputation to repair. I think he will have options which is why I hope he gets the job - because he wants it not because he's deperate. Previous incumbents have been desperate for the job with nothing else on the table. I think Brown would be in a position to walk if it became unpalatable.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 11:42:57 »

Let's hope Brown decides to stay - there are not that many options for him with not many decent clubs being managerless, I wasn't convinced by him to start with but I can see what he is trying to do, if we have to recruit someone new then it will hurt us starting late, we have to be on the front foot with regard to transfers and pre season.

I actually thought last night we was the better team in patches but we seemed to fall apart at the back when Lancs went off and invited them onto us by going deeper and deeper, and the midfield parting ways, sadly I think that will be enough to see us miss out on the play offs.

When do Coventry play their game in hand ?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 11:49:38 »

Using my Reg psychic skills, I predict that under Flitcroft we'd have just come out of another run of defeats.  It looked like the wheels were coming off and the Cheltenham game was effectively still like having him around, and we looked god damned awful in that game.

Brown is essentially doing a sort of pre-season, without a clean bill of health and without time to build up fitness.  That's why, alongside the change in style we can see beginning, I'd be ok with him keeping the job.  it puts us in the best place for the start of next season.  Even if we replace 75% of the squad it will feel like maintaining something which looks a bit like progress, but a brand new Manager with no pre-season planned and a complete overhaul opens us up to a repeat season, or worse, a Reg season.
Panda Paws

« Reply #186 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 11:54:01 »

For those who watched, do we win that game if Lancs stays on, and we have a fit Conroy or Preston alongside him?

Injuries at CB have fucked us this year for sure.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 11:54:10 »

Let's hope Brown decides to stay - there are not that many options for him with not many decent clubs being managerless, I wasn't convinced by him to start with but I can see what he is trying to do, if we have to recruit someone new then it will hurt us starting late, we have to be on the front foot with regard to transfers and pre season.

I actually thought last night we was the better team in patches but we seemed to fall apart at the back when Lancs went off and invited them onto us by going deeper and deeper, and the midfield parting ways, sadly I think that will be enough to see us miss out on the play offs.

When do Coventry play their game in hand ?

Probably 24th home to Lincoln.... they've 3 home 2 away left, and that's the hardest on paper.  Cov are a proper basket case, so you can never tell how that might hit them.... but the last I read, it looked like they were heading out the Ricoh again, to play in a small stadium used by a local rugby club, but that had hit some problems. Our difficulties are nothing compared to theirs.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 12:03:47 »

For those who watched, do we win that game if Lancs stays on, and we have a fit Conroy or Preston alongside him?

Hard to say, we were too open before he went off, but we did look less structured after he did go off.  Too many players chasing the ball or the player.  At one point I remember four of our players converging on their right winger in our half.  The bigger problem was the team began to feel pressure and started launching the ball or making panic passes when we had good counter attacking positions.  We had done something we rarely do before that, controlled possession.  Once we started giving it away, we invited them to have a go as well and that with the defence losing structure meant we looked like conceding.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 12:07:33 by RobertT » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 12:05:29 »

Probably 24th home to Lincoln.... they've 3 home 2 away left, and that's the hardest on paper.  Cov are a proper basket case, so you can never tell how that might hit them.... but the last I read, it looked like they were heading out the Ricoh again, to play in a small stadium used by a local rugby club, but that had hit some problems. Our difficulties are nothing compared to theirs.

The problem it hit was the Rugby club not wanting them, mainly due to their owners.  The issue with the Ricoh is they are suing the Council and Wasps, through a Judicial Review of the sale.  Wasps, as a result, seem less keen on engaging in long term rental discussions with them.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 12:20:11 »

The problem it hit was the Rugby club not wanting them, mainly due to their owners.  The issue with the Ricoh is they are suing the Council and Wasps, through a Judicial Review of the sale.  Wasps, as a result, seem less keen on engaging in long term rental discussions with them.

So will they be playing at the Ricoh next season?  The last I read they were intending on moving out again.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #191 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 12:39:17 »

The main problem was centre mid. Should've changed Banks earlier for Linganzi as we were overrun.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 12:46:50 »

^^^^^ this. Well, as I saw it anyway.

nearly got away with it.. nearly
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #193 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 12:58:46 »

The main problem was centre mid. Should've changed Banks earlier for Linganzi as we were overrun.
Definately, Banks worst game so far for me and Dunne was not up to his standard of late either.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 13:09:53 »

Haven’t read the whole thread but Banks picked up that stupid, needless booking which killed any intensity out of fear of getting sent off.

He should have been subbed quite early on.

Meh
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: