Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town - Official Matchday Thread  (Read 38065 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #165 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 08:22:16 »

Agree with Flash.

Plenty of positives but the usual result killing flaws.

42 games in and I'm starting to accept this too.

We're pretty good, but lack quality at both ends when it matters.

As an aside, we'd have taken more points from PBs games if we had Flitcroft. One win in seven. I don't have a huge desire to see him here next year.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 08:41:36 »

Can’t see what you’d base that on - his games in charge of Mansfield, maybe!

Brown’s games have seen the exact same problems we had under Flip Flop. Missing midfield leaving a porous defence with no cover.

I tend to think those home draws would have seen 1or 2 more defeats under Flitcroft. The only good thing is that the deficiencies are so glaringly obvious any competent manager would fix it with fresh recruitment.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 08:50:18 »

As an aside, we'd have taken more points from PBs games if we had Flitcroft. One win in seven. I don't have a huge desire to see him here next year.

Not sure that's completely fair. PB has had to come in and work with the tools already here. His football philosophy is totally different to DFs and unfortunately it will take time for it to work.

Pretty sure it would have been the same with any manager. I guess the other alternative would have been to give it to someone internal until the end of the season and just adapt DF's tactics.

I can totally see your point, but I personally think its unfair to judge PB based on his current performance.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 08:51:07 »

That depends very much on the assumption that Brown has dropped points in games Flitcroft would have won, whereas you can equally see those as games that under Flitcroft we'd have banged away looking like getting a draw only to concede a last minute winner. Has Brown made us more solid where once we were fragile? Or less likely to snatch an undeserved win?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 08:59:28 »

Only 1 loss in the last 5
adje

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 09:01:07 »

I don't get all this "If you can't beat (insert name here) you don't deserve to go up" business.By that logic nobody in this league deserves to go up.Also,in my opinion, the "Flitcroft would have won more games" argument is not really valid going by his record since he left.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 09:37:25 »

Thats a daft statement at best. You simply don't know. There's plenty of points to say we could have lost most of the last 7.... Flitcroft hasn't won since he left, his last game here was an awful performance against the worst team in the league...

The football is better under Brown. We look more solid at the back (which isn't saying much and we're still ropey) and we actually knock the ball around in the middle. Its a bit harsh to judge as it's not his team at all but the quality has improved. You can't really knock Brown for Richards missing a sitter v Morecambe & Carlisle, & Twine & Taylor missing chances last night. We were good enough to win those games but we haven't and I don't really blame the manager for it.
Panda Paws

« Reply #172 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 09:43:30 »

I'm not a huge DF fan by any stretch, but points per game the seven under PB is one of, if not the, poorest run of the season against favourable opponents.

Lots of mitigating circumstances, but he's not done enough to be a shoe-in first choice for next year.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #173 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 09:48:07 »

Sorry Venks, but tonight I don't have much argument with Yeovil getting a point. We probably edged it but they always looked like they would score. The equaliser was always coming at that time, and we didn't really ever look comfortable at the back. We were OK going forward, though didn't create that much clear cut to be honest.
No I appreciate what you are saying but I felt all Yeovils threats came from our lack of quality at the back not from the quality of Yeovils play, they packed midfield with 6 players at the end and it worked for them.

I thought (possibly biased) that we looked much more likely to score throughout the game and they created 3 good chances 2 of which they put in the net, yes if Yeovil had more quality then we would have got stuffed but thats due to poor defending not from them being that much better all over the pitch than us.

Thought twine did enough to keep his place. Difficult to pick any other decent performances. Should have seen the game out but we didn't. Their no 7 looked decent.
Their number 7 Khan was our target in January but he chose to stay at Yeovil instead of moving to us or Bristol Rovers.

For me twine played with more maturity than his years, his only flaw was hoofing the ball accross the pitch from defence twice to nobody instead of finding a red shirt.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 09:51:10 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 10:04:29 »

I'm not a huge DF fan by any stretch, but points per game the seven under PB is one of, if not the, poorest run of the season against favourable opponents.

Lots of mitigating circumstances, but he's not done enough to be a shoe-in first choice for next year.

Yep, that's a fair point. As he's already here and knows the squad I wouldn't be against giving him the job. As I said before, the football has been better and he has a fairly good track record of getting teams up. Not sure there's much better out there for us either tbh.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 10:40:14 »

Its a difficult one, he's trying to mold Flitcrofts team to his style and just doesn't have the players to play that way effectively. The question is, would he be any more successful with his own players obtained with whatever budget we have next year.

I've no idea.

I wasn't that bothered by his appointment, but I hate to think what we'll end up with in his place. Got a hunch the argument is moot if/when we don't go up anyway. I hope there is a succession plan underway.
==
I expect Mansfield fans are having the same conversations re: Flitcroft...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 10:42:32 »

No I appreciate what you are saying but I felt all Yeovils threats came from our lack of quality at the back not from the quality of Yeovils play, they packed midfield with 6 players at the end and it worked for them.

I guess its a fine line interpreting what we see against 'deserved to win'. It didn't feel like two lucky breaks exploiting the undoubted defensive weaknesses to me.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 11:01:16 »

I've no idea.
I hope there is a succession plan underway.

I've no idea either.... a plan would be good, but I'm not holding out much hope beyond the usual wing and a prayer.

We are in a dangerous place, a likely lowest finish for 34 years.  Back then there was no Conference trap door....

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 11:07:28 »

I agree with Panda Paws, but I think thats more because we’d have generally benefitted more from the continuity. I don’t blame brown for the fact.

We’d have probably won two and lost two of the last 4 games under Flitcroft, but they wouldn’t have been any more enjoyable

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 11:19:28 »

I've no idea either.... a plan would be good, but I'm not holding out much hope beyond the usual wing and a prayer.

just refreshed my memory on the transfer window changes. We have until 17th May - 9th August to make any permanent signings. 31st August for loaners and free agents.

We need someone in PDQ.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: