Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Club statement  (Read 69748 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #135 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 13:01:34 »

Perkin's being involved fills me with dread. His track record is shameful.
Why is this Arriba? not living in Swindon I have never heard of the bloke before today, whats his track record that aggrivates you so much?

Just wondered as I know nothing of the man.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #136 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 13:10:18 »

Two things that come to mind reading this thread.

Someone questioned why Power/The club are interested in the stadium now when they hadn’t been before.
I’d guess that could be because the council now appear to want to sell it off. It’s one thing having to pay rent to the council, but a whole different ball game to a third party who may well have no interest in football, let alone STFC.

It appears the council need the money thats definately one part but I think the other is that Power now has on board the director from Axis who have a lot of experience in redevelopment.

Obviously thats just a guess.

The other is regarding this idea of our potential.
I’m not sure that we would get the crowds that some people think even if we made it to the championship, after all our first ever home Premier league game didn’t make 12000. (I know this was a while ago & against Oldham).
A town the size of Swindon could support a team that averages 11,000 to 12,000 per week in the Championship I think personally although we haven't regularly had support like that for many many years, I do know a lot of fans that travel to London for games and they could possibly be convinced to follow us as they seem to go to watch Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham etc just to watch football not as fans.

This is what happened at Reading after their new build and promotion, yes they may be plastic fans but they are bums on seats.

I think that for now a ground with about 12,000 capacity would be fine, 14,000 maybe at a push, as long as possible stand expansion capability is there just in case.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 13:22:35 »

Why is this Arriba? not living in Swindon I have never heard of the bloke before today, whats his track record that aggrivates you so much?

Just wondered as I know nothing of the man.

He's meant to be the man in charge of the so called regeneration of the town which has failed miserably (kimmerfields farce). The tossing off of the towns leisure facilities. The ski slope pipe dream. The general decline of the town. The Rikki Hunt WiFi missing money. Etc.etc.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 19, 2018, 13:26:41 by Arriba » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 13:33:21 »

The other is regarding this idea of our potential.
I’m not sure that we would get the crowds that some people think even if we made it to the championship, after all our first ever home Premier league game didn’t make 12000. (I know this was a while ago & against Oldham).

It was:

• 25 yeas ago;
  • against Oldham;
  • on a Tuesday evening in August (at the height of the holiday season); and
  • just 4 days before Liverpool were due at the County Ground (the following Saturday).

Not a bad crowd, all considered.

Cheesy
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 13:37:31 »

You are forgetting Chelsea mustered less at SB when we played them that season  Wink

‘Tis a fair point, maybe if we get a Billionaire Russian owner to spunk away millions of pounds on the club we would get there. I guess that might persuade some of the non Swindon football fans that live in the Town to come to games, I’m just not convinced
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 13:52:50 »

It was:

• 25 yeas ago;
  • against Oldham;
  • on a Tuesday evening in August (at the height of the holiday season); and
  • just 4 days before Liverpool were due at the County Ground (the following Saturday).

Not a bad crowd, all considered.

Cheesy

The first game in the clubs history in the top flight, maybe just me but I’d have thought any Town fan would do almost anything to be there. In fact not only was it not a sell out, but it wasn’t that much bigger than the previous few seasons.

The fact is that our crowd for the first game the previous season was also 11000 odd (although to be fair that was Sunderland on a Saturday).
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 13:54:27 »

The first game in the clubs history in the top flight, maybe just me but I’d have thought any Town fan would do almost anything to be there. In fact not only was it not a sell out, but it wasn’t that much bigger than the previous few seasons.

The fact is that our crowd for the first game the previous season was also 11000 odd (although to be fair that was Sunderland on a Saturday).

Tend to agree, especially after what happened in 1990. I lived in Scotland so had a perfect excuse!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 14:02:09 »

Oldham only bought a couple of hundred
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 14:31:53 »

The second game in the top flight, first at home.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #144 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 14:41:24 »

Don't forget we were under declaring our crowds to the point that people laughed when they were announced. It wasn't the biggest gate that season but a lot more than that announced - as they all were that season and for the few seasons previous to that. We weren't; the only ones doing it and trips to West Brom and Traders had very interesting gates. 
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 14:48:40 »

Bit of a tangent, this, but the tension before that game was immense.  We were in the Town End, and I can still remember the Sunderland fans packing out the Bank opposite and the chants going backwards & forwards across the pitch.  Proper butterflies before that one.

And Hoddle's goal that day was immense.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 14:52:29 »

Our average attendance was higher than Southampton, QPR, Coventry, Oldham and Wimbledon  Yes
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 14:53:22 »

Bit of a tangent, this, but the tension before that game was immense.  We were in the Town End, and I can still remember the Sunderland fans packing out the Bank opposite and the chants going backwards & forwards across the pitch.  Proper butterflies before that one.

And Hoddle's goal that day was immense.

To this day probably one of my favourite Swindon goals. Quick shimmy to lose the defender and then put the ball right in the postage stamp.

On another tangent, I had a look at Wiki for crowds that season and noticed the goal scoring prowess of Paul Bodin at home. He only failed to score 1 game in 8 and scored in 5 consecutive matches in the below group of games. Pretty good going for a left back.

30 January 1993   Wolverhampton Wanderers   H   1–0   12,854   Bodin
13 February 1993   Millwall   H   3–0   10,544   White, Bodin, Taylor
23 February 1993   Tranmere Rovers   H   2–0   10,059   Mitchell (2)
27 February 1993   Portsmouth   H   1–0   14,077   Bodin
13 March 1993   Newcastle United   H   2–1   17,574   Bodin (pen), Calderwood
24 March 1993   Bristol City   H   2–1   13,157   Marwood, Bodin (pen)
3 April 1993   Peterborough United   H   1–0   10,314   Bodin
10 April 1993   Luton Town   H   1–0   10,934   Bodin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992%E2%80%9393_Swindon_Town_F.C._season

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 15:02:15 »

I remember Barry Venison wasn't very happy during the Newcastle game  Smiley
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 15:13:01 »

To this day probably one of my favourite Swindon goals. Quick shimmy to lose the defender and then put the ball right in the postage stamp.

On another tangent, I had a look at Wiki for crowds that season and noticed the goal scoring prowess of Paul Bodin at home. He only failed to score 1 game in 8 and scored in 5 consecutive matches in the below group of games. Pretty good going for a left back.

30 January 1993   Wolverhampton Wanderers   H   1–0   12,854   Bodin
13 February 1993   Millwall   H   3–0   10,544   White, Bodin, Taylor
23 February 1993   Tranmere Rovers   H   2–0   10,059   Mitchell (2)
27 February 1993   Portsmouth   H   1–0   14,077   Bodin
13 March 1993   Newcastle United   H   2–1   17,574   Bodin (pen), Calderwood
24 March 1993   Bristol City   H   2–1   13,157   Marwood, Bodin (pen)
3 April 1993   Peterborough United   H   1–0   10,314   Bodin
10 April 1993   Luton Town   H   1–0   10,934   Bodin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992%E2%80%9393_Swindon_Town_F.C._season

I remember him scoring the only goal in the game at Sunderland too. The only other thing I remember from that day is the fog on the way up & back. In fact Hartlepool’s game was abandoned at HT because of it
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: