Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Acer Aspire ES15 - Random Shutting Down  (Read 5159 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 14:38:44 »

Bought wife a laptop a few months ago and its not been right from day 1.

It keeps randomly shutting down. She wasn't sure whether it only did it when just running off the battery or when it was plugged in too.

Been in touch with Acer. They got me to update the BIOS and then to reset the battery. It now runs ok for about 20-30 mins then will shut down. When you start it up again it will run for 5-10 mins before shutting down again. The battery indicator shows it as still being nearly fully charged.

Acer have now told me to box it up and send it back to them. They will need it for at least 5 working days to try to fix it.

Is there anything else I can do before sending it off to them? I don't really want to go through the hassle of deleting personal info off the laptop and being without the machine (which is still usable to a degree when tethered). I don't think I have an option of taking it back to Argos from where I bought it and demanding a replacement as it was bought several months ago now.

I'm hoping Mr Venkman (or one of the other brainiacs here) has seen this before and can enlighten me with some magic that I can deploy to fix it - Or, does it sound like a hardware fault?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 14:43:43 »

Sounds like it's overheating*, but PV will be able to tell you better I'm sure

* WARNING: I may be talking shit.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 30, 2017, 14:46:36 by pauld » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 14:55:28 »

Seconded. Try to make sure it's on a flat surface to let the air-flow.
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 15:03:11 »

You can download a temperature monitoring program, like realtemp, see what it says.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 15:25:47 »

Google it and you'll see it seems to be quite a common problem with Acer Aspires. I've had one for about a year now (a different model though) and I had the same problem - it kept randomly shutting down - and I assumed as well that it was due to overheating.

I tried a few of the temperature monitoring apps and none indicated a problem with overheating so I had a look on a few forums and followed various suggestions, one of which was disabling automatic Windows updates (a bit of a pain with Windows 10, but possible). Another was making sure the graphics driver was the latest one. Anyway, the problem stopped for a while.....until my hard drive packed up and I had to send the laptop back under warranty. Since it's been replaced I've had no problems, which leads me to think it was probably the hard drive that was the problem. If this is the case with you then you might want to backup everything you want to keep before sending it off for repair, otherwise you'll lose it all if they have to change the hard drive.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 15:27:40 »

Probably overheating but it could also be one of the power saver options suspending hardwar in the Windows power settings, if in any doubt if its under warrenty then send it back let them sort it, after all thats what they are paid for.

If just before it turns off do the fans fire up to the max? if they do then its probably overheating, if there is no audible difference then the fans may not be firing up at all.

A replacement fan is about £5 and an hour to fit if it is that.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 15:29:55 »

Sounds like an issue with the circuit between the battery and the system board. Is it still under warranty?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 15:59:51 »

Try sitting in a freezer. If it dosen't shut down as much it was probably overheating. HTH.

To be honest if its under warranty then get it swapped out.

Could be anything; dry joint, dodgy thermal paste, battery ...etc
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 17:08:36 »

You could easily waste as much time troubleshooting it as you would clearing the data off it. Get it replaced under warranty
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 22:44:37 »

Thanks for all of the suggestions chaps.

I didn't think it was overheating as it didn't seem to get particularly hot. But maybe it does. I've heard the fans come on, but not studied when they don't.

I was thinking a crack on a circuit board, dry joint or the like. I guess bad SSD might be a problem too.

When I IM'd Acer, they seemed to have a process to check software. Once that didn't work they seemed pretty sure it was a hardware fault.

I guess that being as it could be lots of different things, sending it back it  the best thing to do.

Thanks again - Really chuffed at how many responses I got. Thank you.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: