Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: recommend me a car dealer  (Read 11954 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 08:15:53 »

Looking to buy an MPV/SUV for the wife. Budget is a laughable £1000ish + part ex on our shitty Ford Focus (£200 tops).

Anyone got anything or can recommend a dealer?

Cheers
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 08:36:57 »

For that budget, you would get more privately.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 08:38:56 »

I'd buy privately with that sort of budget.

I bought the wife a Zafira for £650 that was listed on Gumtree.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 10:20:06 »

I don't normally like buying private but for that budget its probably your best option.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 12:46:35 »

Plenty of options looking at auto trader, as long as you're willing to take an older vehicle with higher miles.

Buy local if from a dealer and make sure they're established because you won't want to drive a car with problems to far out of Swindon.
Especially avoid this place at all costs http://www.highburymotors.co.uk/
The bloke who owns it is an absolute cunt and knows very little about cars. His salesman lackey is just as bad.

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 14:48:47 »

I scared of buying privately. What are the pros/cons/things to look out for? I'm a car retard btw
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 14:55:03 »

I scared of buying privately. What are the pros/cons/things to look out for? I'm a car retard btw
Privately its pretty much buy as seen, even if it breaks down half way home the previous owner is at no liberty to give you your money back.
With a dealer, you should get some sort of guarantee. OK, as Si will tell you, somethings the guarantees are as useful as a chocolate teapot and the dealer will fob you off but with some pushing which i'm sure you are capable of you should get a dealer to agree to fix any issues that may arise.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 14:55:17 »

I'm with you on that. Personally if you want a better chance of not buying a turkey go Japanese/German. Avoid the French at all costs.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 14:58:02 »

Pro is that it is cheaper to buy privately, but it's more a risk.

If you have a model in mind, try and find an enthusiast forum. They should have a for sale section, and most will look after their vehicles.

You can get it checked before hand by the AA I believe, and always get a hpi check.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 15:05:52 »

check the mot history on the gov site too.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 15:30:35 »

Privately its pretty much buy as seen, even if it breaks down half way home the previous owner is at no liberty to give you your money back.
With a dealer, you should get some sort of guarantee. OK, as Si will tell you, somethings the guarantees are as useful as a chocolate teapot and the dealer will fob you off but with some pushing which i'm sure you are capable of you should get a dealer to agree to fix any issues that may arise.

I got the vehicle repaired elsewhere and lodged a small claim through the court. Went to mediation and got 75% of my outlay back, so wasn't too bad apart from the massive hassle of it all.

I'd definitely consider getting an AA check next time but would eat significantly into your budget https://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspections/prices.html
Things to look out for vary on car to car. Best off searching "car make model common problems" and "car make model buyers guide".

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-desc&radius=20&postcode=sn12la&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-to=1500&body-type=MPV&body-type=SUV
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 15:42:22 »

check the mot history on the gov site too.

Always do that. Thanks.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 15:43:10 »

Any recommends for models? We've been looking at Zafiras, Focus C-Max and the like.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 15:50:54 »

Would avoid Zafira. Does it have to have 7 seats?

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 15:53:31 »

Would avoid Zafira. Does it have to have 7 seats?
that was my next question, are you looking for something with 7 seats or just looking for size?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: