Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Port Vale v Swindon Official Matchday Thread  (Read 25079 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 13:31:53 »

Was that the 'Andswort Revolution?

The population of Burslem remained stable around the 20 oddK mark through the 20th Century.....demographic has changed now mind.

So Glossop, with a population of 18000 during their last season in the First Division in 1899-1900, was a smaller town.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 15:13:20 »

I think you must have interpreted my use of the verb maintain, to mean at any time. I feel it conveys a sense of still keeping, when used in the original context. Glossop North End were massive compared to New Brighton Tower....New Brighton being one of the weirder places I've been to on this island.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 15:25:02 »

You're right of course. I've never really counted Port Vale though - always thought Aldershot or Hereford must have been among the smallest towns to hang on in the league for decades.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 16:31:08 »

You're right of course. I've never really counted Port Vale though - always thought Aldershot or Hereford must have been among the smallest towns to hang on in the league for decades.

Both Hereford and Aldershot are bigger than Burslem.... the centre of the Potteries conurbation is in fact in Hanley, which due to not having a league club gets overlooked, the centre of Stoke being about like Cricklade Road, Gorse Hill.

Lot of controversy atm, because the Council, are spending a pile of dosh to move from Stoke to Hanley.....in return Hanley gets to be called the "City Centre", a move not backed by the locals, but since when has democracy prevailed in the UK?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 16:41:26 »

Reg's google search bar has been working overtime.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 17:20:16 »

Aldershot is an odd one.  The town itself is fairly small (pop: ~35,000), but the Farnborough/Aldershot Urban Area or 'Blackwater Valley Conurbation' (pop: ~250,000) - a continuous urban area that also takes in Camberley, Frimley, Farnborough, Sandhurst, Yateley, Farnham and a number of other smaller 'villages' - is much bigger.  Probably larger than Swindon, in fact, when taken together - albeit without a single town/city centre.

None of which is all that relevant when it comes to football.  A few of the locals around here follow the Shots or Farnborough, but it's the big London clubs that mop up most of the support.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 18:08:06 »

Blackwater Massif, eh?  Sounds like the Shots should be regularly qualifying every year for the Champions League to me. 

In some ways Blackwater sounds similar to that Hanley, Port Vale, Stoke, Burslem  agglomeration, conurbation or blob thingy but without the funny accents.  I'm sure the connoisseur can distinguish the funny accents, road by road, including Port Vale Road with which all us thread followers are now familiar.

With a little goodwill here (and ill will there) I'm sure TEFers can help make this mid week Vale v Town thread the longest in all football with STFC finally punching its weight

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 18:27:14 »

Both Hereford and Aldershot are bigger than Burslem.... the centre of the Potteries conurbation is in fact in Hanley, which due to not having a league club gets overlooked, the centre of Stoke being about like Cricklade Road, Gorse Hill.

Lot of controversy atm, because the Council, are spending a pile of dosh to move from Stoke to Hanley.....in return Hanley gets to be called the "City Centre", a move not backed by the locals, but since when has democracy prevailed in the UK?

It's like talking to some daft uncle. Since 1910, Stoke-on-Trent has been the name of the urban entity you're struggling for, of which Burslem is part. Stoke has a population of 249,000, which is considerably larger than both Hereford and Aldershot (though not, perhaps, of the Blackwater Valley Conurbation). Port Vale is part of the 36th largest urban district in the UK, and therefore by no means the smallest place to host a league football team under any *valid* description you care to offer.

As a fan of democracy, you should be able to appreciate that recognition of the amalgamation of the six towns in 1910 by popular local accord does not require your individual approval.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 18:29:58 »

Down the years, I've had many dealings with The Potteries and find it an interesting part of the country.  I've also had dealings with Ardilesland, and have never been enthused in quite the same way....despite our famous visit to Farnham United Breweries  Smiley
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 18:37:41 »

Down the years, I've had many dealings with The Potteries and find it an interesting part of the country.  I've also had dealings with Ardilesland, and have never been enthused in quite the same way....despite our famous visit to Farnham United Breweries  Smiley

Yes, Reg. We'll go out for a little walk later.

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 18:43:35 »

Down the years, I've had many dealings with The Potteries and find it an interesting part of the country.  I've also had dealings with Ardilesland, and have never been enthused in quite the same way....despite our famous visit to Farnham United Breweries  Smiley

Was it as one sided as the score suggests?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 20:01:53 »

Blackwater Massif, eh?  Sounds like the Shots should be regularly qualifying every year for the Champions League to me.

You can get a train in to London in just over 30 mins from here.  And if you caught one of those trains at 11am on a Saturday you'd understand why the local teams around here have never made the big time.  Everyone is Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea...with a smattering of West Ham and Reading.

You also have Woking and Guildford just up the road, both 100,000 towns without a League side between them.

And I thought you were a William Cobbett fan, Reg.  Disappointed!  Wink
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 20:16:20 »

I've also had dealings with Ardilesland,

Never liked them since they invaded the Falklands...
Flashheart

« Reply #193 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 20:19:36 »

You lot really have excelled with the bollocks quota. I'm impressed. What a glorious load of bollocks this is.
Talk Talk

« Reply #194 on: Thursday, February 4, 2016, 20:39:10 »

Yes, Reg. We'll go out for a little walk later.

Get a fucking room
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: