Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Port Vale v Swindon Official Matchday Thread  (Read 25067 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2016, 23:04:01 »

I used to go out on the piss in Burslem a fair bit in the day. Some people they say are suited to Hollywood, me I fitted right into Burslem..
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 06:02:44 »

No such place Wink

I know, but it's just north of Stoke and I coupdnt remember what it was called Smiley

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 11:00:23 »

I used to go out on the piss in Burslem a fair bit in the day. Some people they say are suited to Hollywood, me I fitted right into Burslem..

Back in the day, I fitted right in to this not quite Burslem but near enough Hollywood extravanganza....

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/hollyhype.html

The population of Burslem is about 20 odd thousand, making it about the size of Chippenham. Probably the smallest place to maintain a league club.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 11:22:37 »

Back in the day, I fitted right in to this not quite Burslem but near enough Hollywood extravanganza....

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/hollyhype.html

The population of Burslem is about 20 odd thousand, making it about the size of Chippenham. Probably the smallest place to maintain a league club.

Bit misleading though, since it's one of the integrated six towns. Playing that game, the Charlton ward of the borough of Greenwich houses only 14,385.

You wouldn't have made that point if they'd instead chosen the name Stoke United (which given the history of the city would have been a more appropriate choice than most other Uniteds).

Now if you'd said their name itself was home to the smallest resident population of any league club, you'd probably be onto a winner. About 6?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 11:43:02 »

Thoughts on last night

Thompson/Doughty did pretty well at CB i thought, made countless interceptions and tackles. Boo/Barry gave good width but was very little movement around the box for them to help create anything.

We can't have Kasim and Rodgers both starting as CM, we lose every 50/50 and the defence have nobody at all screening them hence the two CB having to make last ditch tackles all the time. Balmy didn't do anything. Robert looked decent on the ball again but lack of movement/options impeded what he could create.

Obika worked hard and had a decent chance in first half that he may have been able to do more with. Hylton looked alright but we need another option if Obika/Ajose gets injured.

We had plenty of the ball but it was just too slow, when Vale got it they broke at pace and managed to fuck up at least 3 occasions when they had an extra man around our box, thought they were shit which makes the defeat even more irritating.

Shout out to Jordan Young who did well when he came on, always looking for the ball, tidy on the ball and had a decent shot on the turn which wasn't far over. Promising cameo from him I thought.

Team for next game if all fit:
                   Vigs
Barry N thompson Turnbull Boo
                    Kasim
   Doughty.          L thompson
                  Robert
          Okiba.     Ajose
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 11:48:00 »

Bit misleading though, since it's one of the integrated six towns. Playing that game, the Charlton ward of the borough of Greenwich houses only 14,385.

You wouldn't have made that point if they'd instead chosen the name Stoke United (which given the history of the city would have been a more appropriate choice than most other Uniteds).

Now if you'd said their name itself was home to the smallest resident population of any league club, you'd probably be onto a winner. About 6?

You make a classic error....the administrative construct of Stoke on Trent, was forced through in 1910, after much local opposition in Burslem. Vale had been going since the 1880's,  the football club of Burslem, which they remain. Of course, then as now anybody from the hinterland was free to go and watch.

STFC, is a bit different, insofar as the club, was born in Old Town, at a time when the places of High Swindon, and New Swindon were separate. The club then moved to New Swindon, in time for the 1900 amalgamation, nobody much minded as there wasn't a local rival on the doorstep.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 12:29:07 »

Hylton looked alright but we need another option if Obika/Ajose gets injured.

Smith ?   Doh
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 12:37:34 »

Shout out to Jordan Young who did well when he came on, always looking for the ball, tidy on the ball and had a decent shot on the turn which wasn't far over.

I've played against him  Cool
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 12:41:30 »

Smith ?   Doh

The Smith that didn't want to be here, and hasn't scored since the last time the tramp down our high street showered?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 13:11:52 »

The Smith that didn't want to be here, and hasn't scored since the last time the tramp down our high street showered?

Yeah that one, you know, the one that went back up north to Pompey.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 13:14:04 »

You make a classic error....the administrative construct of Stoke on Trent, was forced through in 1910, after much local opposition in Burslem. Vale had been going since the 1880's,  the football club of Burslem, which they remain. Of course, then as now anybody from the hinterland was free to go and watch.

STFC, is a bit different, insofar as the club, was born in Old Town, at a time when the places of High Swindon, and New Swindon were separate. The club then moved to New Swindon, in time for the 1900 amalgamation, nobody much minded as there wasn't a local rival on the doorstep.

Keep Swindon out of this. I don't care what happened in 1910, you're still comparing apples and pears. Burslem is part of the city borough of Stoke, spanning two wards, while Charlton is a single ward of the borough of Greenwich. Just proves it's a bit pointless only applying the population of the wards in question to an urban club.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 13:23:04 »

Keep Swindon out of this. I don't care what happened in 1910, you're still comparing apples and pears. Burslem is part of the city borough of Stoke, spanning two wards, while Charlton is a single ward of the borough of Greenwich. Just proves it's a bit pointless only applying the population of the wards in question to an urban club.

I give up you're clearly beyond reason...are Gallic traits inherent or acquired ?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 13:49:40 »

I can answer this complex question with authority.

WHO GIVES A SHIT Wink
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 13:59:12 »

I give up you're clearly beyond reason...are Gallic traits inherent or acquired ?

Touché.

Anyway, you're still wrong: Charlton and South Norwood are both smaller than Burslem, while Falmer is home to 284 residents (Saturdays excepted).

You could accept defeat graciously with that famous phlegm of yours.  Cool

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 14:02:06 »

I can answer this complex question with authority.

WHO GIVES A SHIT Wink

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: