Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Sarfend match day thread  (Read 26169 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 20:59:04 »

Wait till you see the highlights. We persist even when the short one is not on. It's fucking embarrassing.

If it works, it works well - draw their midfield onto you and create space to play through them - but if a side is closing you down well, it's the fastest way to look like fools.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #151 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 20:59:58 »

Doggedly sticking to anything despite it not working is stupid. There's a time and a place to play it short, we need to mix it up.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:04:18 »

I have seen 'that' goal, what a mess. I still stand by what I said though. It may not be the notion, but rather the execution.
Whatever Williams instructions to Vigorous are, I cannot believe they are to short pass to a defender who is obviously in a corner being closed down.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:05:32 »

the going short or blabbermouth keeper coach tweeting fans?
Nice to see the coaching team all standing together on decisions as a group - bodes well for the future doesn't it.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:08:11 »

Whatever Williams instructions to Vigorous are, I cannot believe they are to short pass to a defender who is obviously in a corner being closed down.
I would say the complete opposite, the fact it happens week in week out and Wes was doing it last season says that it is coaching instruction.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:10:35 »

Its not the first bit thats the problem in this case, but if anyone has scouted us and seen us doing it, the second bit, where Branco goes from his second pass from Vigs is the issue.  

He needs to hoof it at that point not play it into Kasim who has a man on him.

Thing is, our style of play is risky, its playing with small margins.  When it comes off the swift passing is a joy, this season whether through lack of coaching, not good enough players or other teams knowing our style, its not coming off.

Never knowingly overstated.
REDBUCK

« Reply #156 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:16:28 »

I'm with the flash on this, short pass with the keeper worked fine but Branco chose to make one more short pass when he was closed down rather than the safe punt down the line. In the second half we did more of that when in the same situation and as someone else has already said we mixed it up more.

Williams said in his post match interview that they do it to try to keep possession and stretch teams rather than throw the ball forward and battle against what are more often that not with our squad far more physical teams.

I can see what he's getting at but we need better decision making and execution.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:16:49 »

Its not the first bit thats the problem in this case, but if anyone has scouted us and seen us doing it, the second bit, where Branco goes from his second pass from Vigs is the issue.
I dunno, 2nd half we did it again and Branco put the first pass on to Vigs wrong foot and we almost got ourselves in trouble again. Branco is arguably our least technically gifted player so to choose him to be the receiver from the keeper and be relying on his passing is also a bit stupid in my opinion.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:17:11 »

I think the idea is that long goal kicks immediately create a 50/50 situation whereas the short routine should ensure posession.except that in our case,it doesn't.

Luke Williams said that was the case in his post match interview and it ensures longer periods of possession. He also said the players have to decide when they do and sometimes they get it wrong. He also explained their thinking that with young players they can't play a typical league one style.

What I would question is that Vigouroux and Branco got it wrong. Vigs hesitated before doing it which brought the Southend players in tighter. Branco didn't look up and play the situation when he got it back as the pass inside wasn't on and should have hit it down the line.

We seem to do that so many times where we get away with the 1st time but still carry on trying to play it out when there is obvious danger. Interesting that both Sam Parkin and Chalky White couldn't understand repeating the tactic. Chalky played in Ardiles and Hoddle teams that played out from the back but knew when to go long. Mind you Kerslake and Bodin were better players to play that game.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:19:45 »

He needs to hoof it at that point not play it into Kasim who has a man on him.
It might also have helped if Kasim had actually come to meet the ball, instead of standing there like a disinterested statue as their player intercepted the pass.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:20:52 »

Hopefully a massive lesson learnt today. Cut out the suicidal sideways passing at the back and play more direct down the wings and we'll rip a lot of teams apart. Southend completely capitulated second half and we could have had more.
Obika's 2nd summed the game up, running through on goal and has an air shot with his first attempt hut it fools all the defenders and buys him the space to finish it. Comedy gold but a thing of beauty.

No comedy, just a thing of beauty. Rolled the ball with his studs, went through it on the radio how he practices it

I missed the Williams interview, if there was one. Anything of note?
Flashheart

« Reply #161 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:29:40 »

I missed the Williams interview, if there was one. Anything of note?

I didn't catch it all but what I did catch was mostly just the standard type of stuff. "Proud of the comeback" and what not. What I did notice however is that he comes across as very personable, he just sounded like your average bloke that you'd meet in a pub and end up having a good chat with.

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:33:48 »

Nice to see the coaching team all standing together on decisions as a group - bodes well for the future doesn't it.
Not surprised where he's concerned.
corner

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:48:15 »

Not surprised where he's concerned.
Care to elaborate Arriba?
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 21:48:34 »

Very odd game but we deserved the win, first 30 aside. We look brilliant going forward and extremely dodgy at the back, great 3 points and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: