Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Port Vale vs Swindon Town - Official Match Day Thread  (Read 23627 times)
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, January 4, 2016, 14:20:05 »

Of course we can take a downward spiral again but i think we are better than these teams and I am confident we can get 8 more wins to get to the magic 52.

Doing my usual points tally pre-season I had us on 28 at end of December and 61 at season end. Will take that.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, January 4, 2016, 14:43:36 »

Doing my usual points tally pre-season I had us on 28 at end of December and 61 at season end. Will take that.

If we replicate our form points wise from the first 24 games over the next 22, then we get 53, which should just about do it, you'd have to very unlucky not stay up on 53, but it has happened.

So in order to reach the heights of 61, it will need a massive improvement, to provide a context...we got 31 points from the remaining 22 last season, which would get us to 59. I'd be happy with 55/56.

A look back at the final 22 games of each Div 3 season of the 21st Century is quite interesting. The best return being 40 points under Kingy in 03-04, the other 3 PO seasons reaping 31 last year, 33 in 12/13, 38 in 09/10. 02-03 another good late season run with 33 points. Danny Wilson's relegation save of 09/10 got us 30 points, which would do this year.

Unsurprisingly 10/11 with a feeble 13 reflected our worst side in living memory. So, 13/14 with 29, 07/08 with 27, 00/01,01/02 and 04/05 with 28 would all keep us up....even 05/06 with 25 would likely do the job.

Given the kind of season we appear to be having then, it is likely that we'll go into the final 6 games with a bit still to do. 
« Last Edit: Monday, January 4, 2016, 15:18:55 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, January 4, 2016, 18:49:11 »

Next Tuesday night for Vale.

Clems Army!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, January 4, 2016, 19:45:36 »

If we replicate our form points wise from the first 24 games over the next 22, then we get 53

That said, our first 24 games included a period of 10 games without a win, players devoid of confidence, almost all the first team out injured, and ultimately the sacking of the managing. Whilst I wouldn't put it past STFC to achieve this twice in one season, I think there are grounds for hoping for a better second half, especially given the recovery of recent weeks.

Next Tuesday night for Vale.

Tempting...
« Last Edit: Monday, January 4, 2016, 19:47:54 by reeves4england » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, January 4, 2016, 19:59:18 »

Whilst I wouldn't put it past STFC to achieve this twice in one season, I think there are grounds for hoping for a better second half, especially given the recovery of recent weeks.

Think we'll have a good idea by the end of Jan, which way we're going.....by the make up of the squad and who the manager is. Too much uncertainty atm, to make a prediction.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, January 4, 2016, 21:14:50 »

Can't disagree with that Reg - the players have it in them but it needs somebody who can get the best out of them, as on our off days we've been atrocious.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, January 4, 2016, 22:25:53 »

Can't help wondering why we've agreed to rearrange the match for next week when we don't have a manager at the moment. Plus it'll probably still be bloody wet as well.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2016, 09:37:20 »

Can't help wondering why we've agreed to rearrange the match for next week when we don't have a manager at the moment. Plus it'll probably still be bloody wet as well.

Vale will need the cash...we need to fit it in before we lose players.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2016, 09:43:30 »

Vale will need the cash...we need to fit it in before we lose players.

I'm sure Vale will be keen, just not sure on why we agreed until we've replaced El Abd and Louis is going back today anyway isn't he?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2016, 10:08:56 »

I'm sure Vale will be keen, just not sure on why we agreed until we've replaced El Abd and Louis is going back today anyway isn't he?

Didn't know about Louis  Sad

I suppose it's possible that we just wanted to help out Vale, we know what it's like to be in the financial mire.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2016, 10:17:53 »

Didn't know about Louis  Sad

I suppose it's possible that we just wanted to help out Vale, we know what it's like to be in the financial mire.

I'm not certain about Louis but think he might be. Yeah, suspect you're right! Can't do much about the weather but still frustrated Saturday was only one of two games called off in the entire league. Doesn't say much for their drainage.
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2016, 10:19:26 »

[/quote]

In which football universe would this happen.

I would wager that not one Premier or Football League club gives a flying fig for any other.

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2016, 10:44:47 »

I'm not certain about Louis but think he might be. Yeah, suspect you're right! Can't do much about the weather but still frustrated Saturday was only one of two games called off in the entire league. Doesn't say much for their drainage.

Some postponements are worse than others, in this case perhaps not so bad.

I'm guessing there must be a bit of clay around Burslem, hence the pots.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2016, 11:11:43 »

Some postponements are worse than others, in this case perhaps not so bad.

I'm guessing there must be a bit of clay around Burslem, hence the pots.

Good point about the clay. I think i'm just fed up I got as far as Leamington on Saturday before hearing it was off, with no inkling of a scheduled pitch inspection. It is what it is I suppose!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2016, 11:18:25 »

Good point about the clay. I think i'm just fed up I got as far as Leamington on Saturday before hearing it was off, with no inkling of a scheduled pitch inspection. It is what it is I suppose!

Always a bummer, to be on the road or rail, and find out a game is off. More so when it is a "convenient" postponement. At least thses days plenty of ways of finding out what is happening in advance.  I remember turning up at Luton one Boxing Day, when it had been postponed for so say a frozen pitch, and it was as warm as it was last year. Luton did have an injury crisis mind. Luton not really a place to go to without good reason.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: