Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: War Graves and Military Battle Sites  (Read 3320 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 21:28:11 »

We are currently holidaying in Northern Europe and have taken sometime out to visit various historical military locations.

So far I have visited Arnhem and the "bridge" and today we visited Ypres, various cemeteries along the way and attended the last post in the evening at The Menin Gate. Whilst it makes me feel very humble/sad/grateful of the sacrifices made what took me aback was the shear scale of it all. We all know thanks to the poppies at the tower that something like 850,000+ lives were lost from Commonwealth but it is when you put that into some sort of context that it hits you.

I visited Tynecot Cemetery which has 12,000 graves and as you walk around the corner from the visitors centre you see a few graves, then with each passing step this number grows exponentially - until you see the full picture which was utterly, utterly shocking - and this is only 12k out of the 850k. Menin Gate has over 54,000 names on it, another 35,000 are at Tynecot.

I also saw the name of a possible relative who died fighting so will have to follow that up.

Anyone else been to any ?
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 21:40:46 »

We are currently holidaying in Northern Europe and have taken sometime out to visit various historical military locations.

So far I have visited Arnhem and the "bridge" and today we visited Ypres, various cemeteries along the way and attended the last post in the evening at The Menin Gate. Whilst it makes me feel very humble/sad/grateful of the sacrifices made what took me aback was the shear scale of it all. We all know thanks to the poppies at the tower that something like 850,000+ lives were lost from Commonwealth but it is when you put that into some sort of context that it hits you.

I visited Tynecot Cemetery which has 12,000 graves and as you walk around the corner from the visitors centre you see a few graves, then with each passing step this number grows exponentially - until you see the full picture which was utterly, utterly shocking - and this is only 12k out of the 850k. Menin Gate has over 54,000 names on it, another 35,000 are at Tynecot.

I also saw the name of a possible relative who died fighting so will have to follow that up.

Two years ago, the one down the road from Pegasus Bridge & also the Merville Battery which was the first objective taken before the troops landed on D Day. Very, very humbling.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 4, 2015, 21:53:06 by Red and Proud » Logged
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 21:49:56 »

My time spent at Wipers visiting Tynecot etc. Will always stick with me. Deeply humbling.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 23:37:06 »

Been to the cemetery at the River Kwai, I'm not an emotional person, but that bought  tear to my eye, It's also very well kept, constant tending.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, September 5, 2015, 06:32:41 »

Been to the cemetery at the River Kwai, I'm not an emotional person, but that bought  tear to my eye, It's also very well kept, constant tending.

Went there last month. Agree it's very moving, and the museum over the road is excellent.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 5, 2015, 06:40:36 »

Many moons ago, when in Normandy we visited Bayeux, Cimetière américain de Normandie & La Cambe.
Very nice to see such beautiful reminders of those who lost their lives, and very moving

I come from a land down-under
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, September 5, 2015, 07:18:32 »

My dad took us the Normandy beaches & cemeteries probably ten years ago. As a 14/15 year old, I can't say I really needed to see all six beaches and four cemeteries, not much of a fun holiday, but the one that sticks out was the American landing point Omaha. It's just a sheer 50ft cliff, the fact that they ended up landing so many people there is terrifying.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 5, 2015, 08:25:36 »

Last year we went to Northern france and took in Bayeux.  We went to the war cemetary there.  Massive and a lot of local names and regiments.  Really choked me up.  The following day on our drive back we took a trip off the motorway for a change and ended up going through the Somme.  Quite striking to see how far the western front progressed month by month. 

I didnt realise I was going to be quite as emotional as I was.  Im glad we didnt do the beaches as well.  Maybe another year!

Never knowingly overstated.
Combe Down

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, September 5, 2015, 11:01:49 »

Can't wait to see your holiday snaps Eek

This kind of trip has never interested me. In fact I find it very creepy that anyone would want to go on such a trip. Big business though.
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, September 5, 2015, 11:04:07 »

Last year we went to Northern france and took in Bayeux.  We went to the war cemetary there.  Massive and a lot of local names and regiments.  Really choked me up.  The following day on our drive back we took a trip off the motorway for a change and ended up going thOrough the Somme.  Quite striking to see how far the western front progressed month by month. 

I didnt realise I was going to be quite as emotional as I was.  Im glad we didnt do the beaches as well.  Maybe another year!

Did you do the tapestry? If not it is amazing. Also not to far away Mont St. michel
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, September 5, 2015, 11:07:49 »

Did the tapestry.  To be honest, not really for me and ruined by an American talking shite too loudly.  I prefer to talk shite in a whisper.

Never knowingly overstated.
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, September 5, 2015, 11:12:13 »

Did the tapestry.  To be honest, not really for me and ruined by an American talking shite too loudly.  I prefer to talk shite in a whisper.
Check.
thompske

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, September 5, 2015, 16:02:03 »

Try the national memorial arberetum, it says it all with quiet dignity, it's not all military with the other services represented ambulance police and fire all represented.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, September 5, 2015, 16:13:48 »

Did you do the tapestry? If not it is amazing. Also not to far away Mont St. michel

The tapestry is a truly wonderful thing.....OK it's Norman propaganda, but thhat shouldn't cloud one's judgement.
REDBUCK

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, September 5, 2015, 17:33:22 »

Interestingly, some say it's embroidery rather than a tapestry
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: