Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Road tripping across the universe.  (Read 7474 times)
Barry Scott

« on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 21:19:16 »

I've decided I'm going to go on a road trip, likey next week. I basically plan to drive to Scotland, go out on the lash in Glasgow for a night, or maybe 2 (I've heard it's the bollocks) then drive up to Inverness and do the 500 mile Tourist loop thing around the north coast of Scotland and then head back. Piston Heads Inspiration

I've not decided how long I'm going for, or what stops I might incorporate, but I'm planning on 5 days and will definitely go to Glasgow and get on it.

So, I want tips and info on where I should go near, where's worth stopping at (maybe photographing if I buy my long awaited camera by then) and if there's anything else I should do in Glasgow apart from getting on it. Wouldn't mind some tips on good pubs, preferably with more than a smattering of the fairer sex. Meat markets welcomed.  Pint

Love Bazza. x
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 21:22:12 »

Did you have the *star trekking across the universe* song in mind when you wrote this?

Either way you're an arse, because I now have that stuck in my head.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 21:25:02 »

Me too. You Arse.
-----
Scrape 'em off Jim
Barry Scott

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 21:31:55 »

I did have it in my head and I'm glad to have shared that delight.
Flashheart

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 21:34:38 »

Arse.
Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 22:07:50 »

Oh, and just to be sure that everybody else has to share the pain:

janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 06:37:36 »

Always found Glasgow a bit gritty for me, much preferred Edinburgh's nightlife and style. Also a female 'embra' accent is much more easy on the ear than a female weegie one.

If you get time, on the way back, make sure you check out the Scottish Borders countryside, lovely part of the world, where driving's a pleasure, we left Selkirk one time at around 7 in the evening and only saw a handful of cars til we got down near Carlisle, about an hour's drive.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 11:35:03 »

I thought the bit between Carlisle and Glasgow a bit uninspiring. Probably because I thought the distance was less, the old "Ooh, Carlisle... not too far now" Next sign... GLASGOW 98  Sad
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 11:38:38 »

I thought the bit between Carlisle and Glasgow a bit uninspiring. Probably because I thought the distance was less, the old "Ooh, Carlisle... not too far now" Next sign... GLASGOW 98  Sad

The M74 is dull as ditchwater, it always amuses me as if you drive up there with the sat nav on going to Glasgow or Edinburgh once past Carlisle it flags up that the next direction instruction is something like 70 miles away!

However if you venture off the motorway its lovely.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 12:35:18 »

The M74 is dull as ditchwater...

Going to have to respectfully disagree.  Carlisle to Glasgow on the M74 is as close to pure driving pleasure as you're ever likely to find on a British motorway.  In fact, once you're north of the Blackpool/M55 turn on the M6, traffic levels drop away dramatically and you'll have nearly 200 miles of wonderful, open road with - in places - breath-taking scenery.

I make this trip several times a year (wife's family are in Argyll) - and will be doing so again on Saturday.  Plan to leave at around 5am with a view to making it up north and past the worst of the traffic pinch points before most of the traffic hits the road.  And it's the M74 stretch that I most look forward to.  Has to be the most over-engineered stretch of road in the UK by some distance.  Six lanes all the way up to within about 30 miles of Glasgow (when, mysteriously, it drops to 4 lanes, just as the traffic starts to pick up again).  And as janaage says, there is next to no traffic on it.  In terms of the scenery, the stretch from Beattock to Lesmahagow is terrific as the road winds through heavily pine-forested hills.  And further south, the hills around Tebay, Cumbria are, if anything, even more special.

North of Glasgow, I would highly recommend heading up around Loch Lomond (on the A82).  And if your itinerary permits it, pick up the A83 at Tarbet and head over the 'Rest & be Thankful' towards Cairndow.  I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed.  The scenery is simply spectacular...every bit as impressive (in my book) as Glencoe.  It's almost en route to Oban as well, which is worth a visit/overnight stay if you have time.

I'll stop waffling now.  But more than happy to fill a few more pages if encouraged.  Wink
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 12:38:51 »

Look out for the heart shaped wood...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/cumbria/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8294000/8294475.stm
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 12:49:47 »

Have a look at the electric brae near Ayr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Brae
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 12:50:47 »

...and also the mysterious 'cock & balls' wood formation an hour or so to the north.

I've just located my post from 3 years ago on this very subject:

It's a wood in southern Scotland that looks like a cock & balls
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 13:38:17 »

Look out for the Ashton Memorial as you go past Lancaster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashton_Memorial
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 13:47:35 »

Argyllshire  Dunoon (just outside) Osbourne hotel nice food real beer pleasant place to stop. If you're lucky you can see a nuclear sub or Ocean Liner going up the Loch over breakfast.
I've always enjoyed Fort William as well. Nice steam railway and view of Ben Nevis.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: