Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Road tripping across the universe.  (Read 7475 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 13:53:21 »

Argyllshire  Dunoon (just outside) Osbourne hotel nice food real beer pleasant place to stop. If you're lucky you can see a nuclear sub or Ocean Liner going up the Loch over breakfast.
I've always enjoyed Fort William as well. Nice steam railway and view of Ben Nevis.

Small world.  The Osborne is a 5 minute drive from my in laws.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 16:01:11 »

Living in Preston, I drive that stretch of road up to Glasgow (or at least part of the way) on a semi-regular basis. Drove to Northern Ireland and back last week via Stranraer. A great drive in the sunshine.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 16:19:43 »

So you got a ferry, and didnt drive the whole way then Alex Wink
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 18:45:11 »

I thought the bit between Carlisle and Glasgow a bit uninspiring. Probably because I thought the distance was less, the old "Ooh, Carlisle... not too far now" Next sign... GLASGOW 98  Sad

I'm talking more Edinburgh to Carlisle (a7) or Edinburgh heading down A68, than Glasgow to Carlisle.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 19:17:05 »

So you got a ferry, and didnt drive the whole way then Alex Wink

Pedant.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 19:22:54 »

Drove to Skye once, absolutley soul destroying when you realise Glasgow is the half way point.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 19:29:05 »

Drove to Skye once, absolutley soul destroying when you realise Glasgow is the half way point.

Ditto, did a camping trip up to Skye when I was at college. That journey was a fucking nightmare, and I wasn't even driving. Skye is so far north I swear the sun didn't set until 11pm (OK, I just looked it up, 22:23, meaning it must have got dark about 11).
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 21:06:08 »

Skye is so far north I swear the sun didn't set until 11pm (OK, I just looked it up, 22:23, meaning it must have got dark about 11).

That's something I'll always remember, staggering out of the Clagaigh Inn in Glencoe just past 10.30pm (closing time back in the day) to be met by bright sunshine. It was like having jetlag.

If you're in the northern area, try and get to a shinty match, usually played on Saturdays - Newtonmore are the Manure of that world. Totally mad game played by true amateurs, they'll be so glad you've shown an interest as a 'foreigner' you might well get through the evening not buying a drink. Same goes if you spot a Highland League footy match - these are drinking events that happen to have a sports event at the same time.

It's a wonderful part of the world, go round the coast to Scourie/Durness/Tongue/Thurso/Wick/Brora you're guaranteed a friendly (albeit drunk) welcome.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 22:41:05 »

I'm talking more Edinburgh to Carlisle (a7) or Edinburgh heading down A68, than Glasgow to Carlisle.

Ah, ok. No, my joy was Carlisle border to Glasgow to cumbernauld  Suicide
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 06:35:34 »

Ah, ok. No, my joy was Carlisle border to Glasgow to cumbernauld  Suicide

All that way to go to the Bracknell of Scotland?!   Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 08:07:49 »

That's something I'll always remember, staggering out of the Clagaigh Inn in Glencoe just past 10.30pm (closing time back in the day) to be met by bright sunshine. It was like having jetlag.

If you're in the northern area, try and get to a shinty match, usually played on Saturdays - Newtonmore are the Manure of that world. Totally mad game played by true amateurs, they'll be so glad you've shown an interest as a 'foreigner' you might well get through the evening not buying a drink. Same goes if you spot a Highland League footy match - these are drinking events that happen to have a sports event at the same time.

It's a wonderful part of the world, go round the coast to Scourie/Durness/Tongue/Thurso/Wick/Brora you're guaranteed a friendly (albeit drunk) welcome.

I sort of did the tour that Bazza is planning about 40 years ago, in an old Bedford HA van....took me about a week mind, rather than 24 hours.

Back then the roads were a bit primitive, plenty of single track with passing places for miles, but not too many people passing   Smiley   be interesting to see how it's changed.

If around Thurso, probably best to avoid Dunreay.... nuclear plant, decommisioned because of dubious safety, think Homer Simpson was the CEO.  Tended to try and bury spent waste in the very rough sea, only for it to wash back up on land.

Interestingly, the Tories have agreed for the Chinese to build us a nice shiny new nuclear power station at Hinkley, about 30 miles downwind of Bristol on a prevailing wind.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 08:52:36 »

All that way to go to the Bracknell of Scotland?!   Cheesy

Smiley
After Cumbernauld it improved, Stirling then up the A9, lovely drive. Stayed just outside Aviemore.
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 12:41:22 »

Small world.  The Osborne is a 5 minute drive from my in laws.
I pop up their a couple of times a year. Love the place, going to miss it if my partners cousin decides to move back south if the SNP don't stop making waves(their thoughts not mine)
Next time you're up that way, drop in for a drink and say Richard and Pam from Swindon sent you. Defo get you a free drink. (almost defo)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 21:40:12 »

Thanks.  Smiley
Barry Scott

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 23:09:09 »

Thanks everyone, some great info here. I'm now starting to lay the plans. It looks like I'm now going to have to do it Bank Holiday weekend. Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: