Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A roof for the Bank at last.  (Read 55683 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 18:01:55 »

I know little about Swindon as a place, I drive to the CG and drive straight back out of the town.

What's the town like for conference facilites? Is there a gap in the market for a decent hotel to provide these kind of facilities.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 18:14:41 »

A football ground theme may give it a competitive advantage but it's a tough market I reckon.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 19:52:44 »

WTF would anyone want to build a hotel.....we've already got more than enough, the old Wiltshire Hotel, a handy gathering place for a pre match drink a while back closed down recently....not enough trade.
The Springers bar, opposite the old cop shop.
Remember it well.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 20:03:07 »

The Springers bar, opposite the old cop shop.
Remember it well.

Werent it Shelleys ?
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 20:45:52 »

Werent it Shelleys ?
Could have been.
In those days, i drank in the Pavillion and was usually pissed.
red sheldon

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 21:42:47 »

It's all gone quiet on the Aussie sponsorship situation.  I hope that's not bad news, I naively hoped that this was going to help  towards the deposit on a serious improvement to the Town End with the increased corporate stuff that would allow them to fund the repayments on the balance!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 10:28:06 »

Werent it Shelleys ?

It probably had a few names....I remember it as the Springers bar also, you'd get a better dressed class of Town fan in there pre match, and somehow being opposite the police station, meant you could get a feel for how the afternoon was shaping up.
scillyred

« Reply #217 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 11:32:57 »

On a rare mainland trip due to family illness - entails driving past Reading and Brighton grounds - what might (should) have been  Sad Regrettably due to a variety of well known reasons we never really 'kicked on'. Finding it difficult to get excited about a roof, perhaps it is my age.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 13:05:35 »

Shelleys was the restaurant bit
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 14:16:47 »

I can't remember if this was the thread where it was discussed about the floodlights needing stronger bulbs, but for Port Vale, their bill will be 200k

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31519583

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 21:36:28 »

It probably had a few names....I remember it as the Springers bar also, you'd get a better dressed class of Town fan in there pre match, and somehow being opposite the police station, meant you could get a feel for how the afternoon was shaping up.
Went to a Christmas do at the Wiltshire Hotel 1978 ish.
Jim Bowen was the "comedy " act.
The food wasnt up to much either.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Thursday, February 19, 2015, 18:20:25 »

Some more detail of the Scunny proposal - I would link but its a trade thing which is subscription only:

New ground will hold 12,000

Plans for a new 12,000 seat stadium for Scunthorpe United by the Frank Whittle Partnership have been sent in to local planners.

North Lincolnshire councillors are expected to consider the scheme in April with the League One club hoping work will start soon after if it gets the green light.

The stadium is part of a wider £25 million out-of-town football and leisure development at a site near its present Glanford Park ground.

The plan also includes a 100-bed hotel, a multi-use indoor arena, community sports pitches with the club also looking at indoor and outdoor bowling facilities.

Around £18 million will be spent on the new ground for The Iron, whose past players include former European footballer of the Year Kevin Keegan and England cricketer Ian Botham who played a handful of games for the club in 1980.

A sweeping curve on the main stand enhanced by a steel truss pays homage to Scunthorpe’s steelwork history.

FWP managing partner David Robinson said: “We have worked very hard with the club to create a vibrant and modern development that will be a real asset to the community and the local economy.”

Little known fact - Kevin Keegan was turned down by Swindon as a kid for being too small
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 19:56:35 »

From the trust newsletter

Stratton Bank Roof Project...

The project to evaluate erecting a roof to cover the Stratton Bank has moved another step forwards in the past week. Beard Construction and subcontractors Southern Ground Testing were on site last Wednesday morning with drilling machinery to begin the task of finding out what the Bank is made of. This in turn will determine what groundworks are required to anchor the stanchions for a new stand roof. The Trust Board will then be able to add this sum together with those for the steel provision and erection, and the costs of new toilets, lighting, and public announcement systems. From this the final cost of the new stand roof can be accurately defined, before full consultation with all relevant parties including the club, council, Trust membership and local residents in advance of any planning application.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 20:06:07 »

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/11840277.TrustSTFC_make_their_first_move_on_Bank_roof_project/

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Flashheart

« Reply #224 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 20:17:27 »

They are actually getting stuff done.

I've been one of the trust's biggest critics in the past but credit where credit's due, I am impressed with this 'new look' trust.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: