Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A roof for the Bank at last.  (Read 55805 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 17:46:27 »

http://www.swindonlinksport.com/2015/02/06/trust-stfc-commit-to-500000-stratton-bank-roof-project/

Trust STFC commit to £500,000 Stratton Bank roof project

TRUST STFC have committed to building a roof on the Stratton Bank at the County Ground, with an expressed intention of getting the structure in place by the start of the 2016/17 season.

Acting on the authority of Swindon Town, representatives of the Trust have engaged Beard Construction and Reid Steel to undertake surveys of the existing stand and its foundations, with a view to submitting blueprints to the council for planning permission this summer.

Plans have been drawn up for a £500,000 propped cantilever stand, which the Trust intend to be funded partly by corporate finance and partly with contributions from benefactors and fans, and constructors have been on site this week assessing the work which would need to be done.

Trust board member Mike Welsh, who has been overseeing the project, told Link Sport:  “We’re very keen to improve the matchday experience of fans and we think one of the key items is that the Stratton Bank should have a roof. It was first mooted in 1958 but the Trust has now committed itself to working with the club to create a roof over the Stratton Bank.

“The club were approached by the Trust and they agreed that we would undertake a feasibility survey. This has involved talking to a number of very experienced builders and constructors, including Reid Steel of Christchurch in Dorset, who constructed the stand at the Ealing Road end at Brentford.

“Also, on the groundwork side, we are working with a local, very well respected team at Beards. Very shortly we are going to be proceeding with an invasive site survey to see what is actually under the terracing because that will be very important in how the stand is constructed.

“We’re looking at a propped cantilever roof which means there will be a stanchion due to costings. The stand at Brentford cost £850,000 and we are looking at something around £500,000 for 2,250 seats, which will only have one central stanchion.”

Planning permission has previously been granted for a Stratton Bank roof taller than the option currently being discussed by the Trust, the club and its contractors, and Welsh hopes that any regeneration – which would also include the creation of a community garden behind the stand – would benefit residents on Shrivenham Road as well as supporters.

“We’ve had a lot of intense discussions with the constructors, there have been site surveys and we’ve had some fairly detailed stuff to date. We’re approaching the outcome of that site survey and then we’ll be in a position to go back to the club and talk about timescales, getting planning permission, talking to the council as freeholders and, very importantly, talking to local residents,” he said.

“We think this will enhance the experience of living there. It will tidy up a very untidy, scrappy area behind the existing Bank and reduce the noise as well.

“I’d like to see it opened for the season after next, so the season starting August 2016. Hopefully by then we’ll be an established Championship side but this stand will happen whether we are a Championship side or whatever division we are in.”

The Trust see placing a roof on the Stratton Bank as a major part of attracting more new fans to the County Ground and Welsh stressed that they are fully committed to completing the project.

The £500,000 needed to finance the construction, according to Welsh, would ideally be made up of an 80 per cent contribution from businesses and 20 per cent from other sources, such as supporter donations or fundraising.

“We are determined to achieve this. We have talked to some corporate supporters about providing some finance for the stand but we will also be talking to the wider public and fans of Swindon to support this as well. We’re quietly determined to get this done,” said Welsh.

“We would like to see something like an 80-20 split. I think that would be great. I think a lot of people recognise that, to move the County Ground forward, this needs to occur.

“We’re working very closely with Mark Isaacs, the stadium manager, and Steve Anderson, the general manager. They’ve been very positive. Everyone who works at Swindon Town understands the necessity of doing this.

“We’re here for the long haul, we’re here for whoever eventually runs this club. Lee Power is doing a wonderful job at the moment but we’re here for the long haul and the Stratton Bank is very much part of that.”

When asked when the Trust intends to submit plans for approval, Welsh said: “Once we have had the discussions with the club and the council and the residents then we’ll be ready to do that. I suspect that will be in the next few months.”

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 17:58:45 »

I'm starting to like the cut of his jib...

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
kerry red

« Reply #2 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:04:17 »

I'm looking forward to City getting vastly reduced numbers next season.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:08:26 »

Can I say this before Reg does? Still needs council approval. Good work though Trust!
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:11:08 »

This isn't a rebuild, just a hat and perhaps a bit of bog building right?

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:15:30 »

This isn't a rebuild, just a hat and perhaps a bit of bog building right?
The toilets and the refreshment facilities will have to be improved even if we keep the stand as it is with just a roof added because they are apparently awful (I haven't been on the Bank in 20 years so can't say for certain just going by what opposition fans say about it).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:15:41 »

'propped cantilever stand' at the risk of sounding stupid, what does this mean?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:17:40 »

I suppose the thing is that with the lack of space at that end the club were never going to fit anything within a stand which would provide the 52 weeks of the year income they need.

However if the Trust take this on will allow the club to concentrate on the Town End where there may be potential for additional income streams!
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:17:49 »

Whilst the excellent recent work of the Trust cannot be slated, I would prefer if the Bank itself was demolished by the start of the 2016/17 season, rather than it's life extended by a half a million quid investment which will really only give big away followings more of an advantage as they will actually be heard.

My thoughts on the subject have been made clear in the past - the Bank is an eye sore, with or without a roof and already well behind the times.

You have to look with envy at the work going on down the M4, with a capacity increase to 27,000 looming with a re-development, I am not meaning to knock the Trust as their intentions are clearly good but this will only delay the inevitable.

The below was taken pre match City at home...it is beyond repair.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:19:06 »

What's the point when it's only used 2 or 3 times a season?
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:21:41 »

I love da bank

I come from a land down-under
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:21:59 »

To stick away fans in?
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:22:40 »

It would be nice to have a roof on the bank if we do get promoted. Hopefully it will get more use than this season. If the facilities are improved on SB then why not give away supporters the Town End?  Cool

Cats are better than dogs FACT
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:22:54 »

Not really sure as the whole point of cantilever stand is that it doesn't need propping.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:23:17 »

Something like this where it's only supported at one end:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: