Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Freesat box/recorder question  (Read 5280 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 11:33:23 »

I am looking to buy a Freesat box, but I already have a dvd recorder with a hard drive. Is it worth me buying a Freesat box with a record function / capacity,  or will a player suffice?  Basically,  should I be able to connect my dvd recorder to the Freesat box and Tv?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 12:02:28 »

Yes you should be able to connect the recorder up, there are two problems I can see

1. I'm not 100% sure on "copy protection", if you connect it up over HDMI to the recorder it MAY be that you can't record some things. I guess this was really your question anyway so I've failed to
answer that.

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=55378.0;topicseen
Q. I have an HD satellite receiver. Can I record HD onto DVD?

A. To record in HD onto DVD, you need a Blu-Ray recorder and Blu-Ray blank discs – however, HD content is protected by HDCP copy protection which prevents most types of HD content being transferred to an HD disc. You should be able to record at standard definition though

2. You'll be missing out on an integrated EPG. For me what makes recording so great is simplicity.

So erm, dodged your question there
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 12:09:45 »

No, you have helped me decide Batch. I'm going to get a Freesat recorder. Thanks  Smiley
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 12:22:52 »

Actually,  can you get a tv with Freesat 'built in'?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 12:26:06 »

yes

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 12:58:45 »

If you go for a freesat recorder the Humax is the best value for money/quality.

We have had 3 different makes in 5 years and the Humax is the most reliable by a long way not failed to record once in 3 years whereas the others regularly failed (Goodmans & Panasonic).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 13:36:34 »

The ability to watch one channel and record another at the same time is also a plus point for a dedicated unit with twin tuners.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 14:21:20 »

I have a foxsat HDR that was my Mum's had if you want a 2nd hand one
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 17:56:48 »

Human Foxsat is really good. HE picture is spot on.
chunky monkey

« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 18:27:53 »

Take him up on that. Great box, got mine from Gumtree for £45. Series record on a 500gb drive, ideal

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 21:02:11 »

Another humax endorsement here. My daughter has one of their boxes in her bedroom and it has been faultless so far.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 28, 2014, 23:59:41 »

You'll have to let me know how you get on with freesat 4D. Currently considering ditching sky, I could always 'acquire' the few shows I normally watch by other means I suppose..
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 19:14:53 »

Another humax endorsement here. My daughter has one of their boxes in her bedroom and it has been faultless so far.
And me. We had one of their freeview boxes and it was superb. Now have the YouView HD box and again brilliant. Humax are the mutts nutts for Freeview PVRs
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 19:30:22 »

You'll have to let me know how you get on with freesat 4D. Currently considering ditching sky, I could always 'acquire' the few shows I normally watch by other means I suppose..

Will do,  got a dish and connections already.
Hoboken

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, November 30, 2014, 17:07:20 »

Human Foxsat is really good. HE picture is spot on.

But the interface really is terrible, as is the remote control.

For instance, when you delete a program, it's not like deleting a file on a PC... you have to watch the delete icon scroll up and down until it is finished deleting - and it can take a minute or two to delete! And then if you decide to delete a 2nd program, you have to wait until the first is deleted until you can delete the second one! Crap! The general interface is poor, too.

As for the remote control, it's like pressing a sponge...nothing registers so you keep pressing, and then suddenly you've scrolled down a few lines! I've had 2 Humax remote controls, and they're both the same, terrible experience.

Finally, if a program starts late or early, or finishes later (e.g. a game goes into extra-time), in my experience it doesn't automatically adjust for this. Very frustrating...

Honestly, if Humax is the best, there is room for someone to corner the market...
It DOES record things, though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: