Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: LinkSport new site  (Read 17022 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #45 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 15:35:06 »

Is there no way of just linking in to Linksport and Washbag once....and then being able to look at the individual things from their menu?

Not using the News Monkey. I'll create a poll and let the people decide.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 15:41:07 »

Yes to independence...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 15:42:28 »

Ah, never used that view, but it still basically has the same problem: flooded with monkey. Am glad to have the new feeds covered somewhere, especially since Sam and the Washbag are often better than the Adver and beeb, but not by pushing out TEF threads.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #48 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 15:43:24 »

Red Frog, you could go into the News section and 'mark as read' then use that link.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 15:43:38 »

jayo, wouldn't something like this work?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1338

From my fleeting use of SMF in the past, there's generally always some mod available to do whatever you want.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #50 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 15:45:10 »

Sounds decent. Not sure I'm comfortable installing mods for the forum. I think I should leave that to a more senior mod.

I wouldn't have access to fix stuff if I end up breaking it.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 15:49:29 »

Yeah, let Barry break it Smiley
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 15:55:32 »

Red Frog, you could go into the News section and 'mark as read' then use that link.

Will look into that. We get very stuck with our own viewing preferences.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 16:10:25 »

Will look into that. We get very stuck with our own viewing preferences.

Froggy....just start loads of your own threads, then they will drown out Monkey's efforts.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 17:53:40 »

I beleive FLIC is a young lad (andrew Steele Davis) that is trying to make a name for himself and is learning the ropes by covering stfc whom he supports, I believe it is run from his family home and is owned by his parents. I think he has his press passes etc. Last season with the fallout with Sam I think stfc were helping him out by giving him exclusives so getting his rit rate up.
I don't know a great deal about the new guys at the Adver, but there seems to be less of a Swindon connection there. Sam and Andrew Steele-Davis have the benefit of being fans and the historical knowledge of the club, to put each season into context. On the flip side, they have the hard task of remaining objective. I'm minded to look at Link and FLIC before the Adver, which is a shame as it's, as has been said, part of Swindon's history falling apart in front of our eyes as it fails to adapt.

The issue is that in the search of multiple daily news, quality plummets. That is even more the case as 3 news outlets try and differentiate. This is Swindon Town. There is maybe a story of note every few days at most.
Sam Morshead

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 18:07:42 »

I don't know a great deal about the new guys at the Adver, but there seems to be less of a Swindon connection there. Sam and Andrew Steele-Davis have the benefit of being fans and the historical knowledge of the club, to put each season into context. On the flip side, they have the hard task of remaining objective. I'm minded to look at Link and FLIC before the Adver, which is a shame as it's, as has been said, part of Swindon's history falling apart in front of our eyes as it fails to adapt.

The issue is that in the search of multiple daily news, quality plummets. That is even more the case as 3 news outlets try and differentiate. This is Swindon Town. There is maybe a story of note every few days at most.
That's a very good point. However, I'm of the belief that genuinely interesting writing/reporting of off-diary events/opinion pieces are almost as engaging for fans of one specific club as daily news content. This is why it can be very hard to keep a readership interested by words from manager/players from organised press conferences alone. Modern local print journalism doesn't have the capacity to expand into more interest/colour/opinion pieces because there simply isn't the time (from experience).

That's where the web gazumps it. Local papers don't have to keel over, they just have to be open to becoming web-savvy and web orientated, we'll get to a point where the last print-only generation is sadly no longer with us - that might have already happened/be in the process of happening.

I feel if there's good quality, at least slightly informed writing out there, that is still a valuable and interesting commodity. If that writing can be delivered with no specific timeframe it suits the audience. Maybe I'm wrong. Obviously I hope not.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #56 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 18:11:15 »

Aren't Newaquest or whoever own the Adver selling off the Old Town site and hasn't the vast majority of function been moved to scumsville?

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 18:13:11 »

That's a very good point. However, I'm of the belief that genuinely interesting writing/reporting of off-diary events/opinion pieces are almost as engaging for fans of one specific club as daily news content. This is why it can be very hard to keep a readership interested by words from manager/players from organised press conferences alone. Modern local print journalism doesn't have the capacity to expand into more interest/colour/opinion pieces because there simply isn't the time (from experience).

That's where the web gazumps it. Local papers don't have to keel over, they just have to be open to becoming web-savvy and web orientated, we'll get to a point where the last print-only generation is sadly no longer with us - that might have already happened/be in the process of happening.

I feel if there's good quality, at least slightly informed writing out there, that is still a valuable and interesting commodity. If that writing can be delivered with no specific timeframe it suits the audience. Maybe I'm wrong. Obviously I hope not.
Yeah. Look at the Daily Mail as an example to follow. Their online offer has proven extremely popular and trounces the opposition.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 18:16:57 »

Yeah. Look at the Daily Mail as an example to follow.

Thanks all the same, but I'd rather not...
Sam Morshead

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #59 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 18:19:01 »

Aren't Newaquest or whoever own the Adver selling off the Old Town site and hasn't the vast majority of function been moved to scumsville?
The Vic Road building is for sale. There is a subbing hub in Oxford, though none of the sports content is produced, subbed or designed there, and they print the paper there as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: