Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Gaffer  (Read 8997 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 18:07:20 »

If he was a mental Italian or a big name former professional people would be worshipping him.

He's done a fantastic job with very tight constraints but has not really achieved anything yet.

Personally I don't find his media approach awkward or miserable, I like the way he deflects praise onto his players instead of taking credit for everything.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 18:11:35 »

Fair enough. I don't necessarily hear it like that but maybe you're right. If I was an experienced journalist like Andrew Hawes though, there are some responses he gets that come across as more than a little terse and disrespectful.

All that said, I'd take sceptical and talented over talentless and media savvy.
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 18:15:45 »

I think he's quite direct and blunt  but not in a disrespectful manner
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 18:19:36 »

As far as I'm concerned, he always answers every single question he's asked with a straight answer. I don't suppose that's the British way is it? Directness is seen as rudeness. I'm fine with it though.

And Andrew Hawes asks some fairly dumb questions at times. Like after winning the first two games of the season..."Are you happy with the start to the season?"...the fuck?? Huh?
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 18:22:07 »

People take 'to the point' as offensive these days.

Personally I like his approach.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 18:29:34 »

I think he's quite direct and blunt  but not in a disrespectful manner

I disagree..... However ..he seems to have lightened up a bit and long may that continue.

Got crucified at Peterborough but that's not my/our fault.

Clems Army!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, August 28, 2014, 16:12:32 »

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 10:21:36 »

I think Cooper is doing a great job.

I took an Italian friend on Tuesday who has watched Town about five times over the past five or so years, so including Wilson and di Canio teams. He thought this was the best Town team he's seen so far.

After Tuesday, my old man, who's been watching Town since the 1940s, said that this is the best passing Town team he's ever seen. He's thoroughly enjoying the quality of football and the effort put in, regardless of results.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 13:57:55 »

I think Cooper is doing a great job.

I took an Italian friend on Tuesday who has watched Town about five times over the past five or so years, so including Wilson and di Canio teams. He thought this was the best Town team he's seen so far.

After Tuesday, my old man, who's been watching Town since the 1940s, said that this is the best passing Town team he's ever seen. He's thoroughly enjoying the quality of football and the effort put in, regardless of results.

Better even than the Hoddle side of 1992/93?!  Praise indeed.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 14:53:31 »

Better even than the Hoddle side of 1992/93?!  Praise indeed.

I'd be surprised.
Hoddle has to be one of the best passers of the ball in football, ever.

...and of course you don't get points for passing!!!!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 16:27:35 »

I like Cooper, I like the team, it's coming on brilliantly considering the amount that's been spent on it. No major 'marquee' players, bar possibly Luongo and a couple of remnants from the previous era (Wes and Andy Williams), but a squad which plays attractive football and, as someone said earlier, have come on from tippy-tappying it around to some people's boredom last season to playing some more direct football.

If we start converting even a quarter of the chances we make and get a properly decent centre-back or two in then we would have a good chance of going up this year, despite the Reg-isms of it being good for us to 'just stay in the division'.

Credit where it's due, Cooper is doing a good job and I for one am happy we have him and not some horrible proponent of hoofball.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 16:31:14 »

Should never have got the job, but very glad he did.

He's done extremely well with the resources to hand this season, it is of course early days but its looking good right now.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 16:44:08 »

I'd be surprised.
Hoddle has to be one of the best passers of the ball in football, ever.

...and of course you don't get points for passing!!!!

He's talking about the team DV not an individual player (As great as Glenn was!). It's undoubtedly the best passing side since Hoddle's team although I seem to remember Ossie's team before that being particularly good too. I was only a nipper though so hard to compare really. I would say though that considering we're a tier below those sides it's pretty good to see a league one side pass it so well.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 11:47:41 »

The 89/90 team under Ardiles played the best passing football as a team, Hoddle's team were a little better for having him in it.  Just watch the play off final against Sunderland, passed them off the park.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 12:21:53 by RobertT » Logged
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 12:06:18 »

The 89/90 team under Ardiles played the best passing football as a team, Hoddle's team were a little better for having him in it.  Just watch the play off final against Sunderland, passed the off the park.

I agree with that, i remember the 89/90 team as the best team i've seen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: