Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best team you've seen at the County Ground  (Read 9704 times)
Wilf Shergold

« on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:27:25 »

Not including the Town of course.

Has this been done on the TEF before?

Came across this prog when looking for info for the Obscure XI thread. When I were a nipper this line-up appeared for an All Stars XI for Maurice Owen's (3rd!) Testimonial match, April 1962:

Laurie Leslie; John Neal, John Bond; Tommy Docherty, Billy Wright, Bobby Moore; Stanley Matthews, Bronco Layne, Tom Finney, Don Revie, Peter McParland. Score according to my scribble was 4 - 5.

Value of that team, in today's money: must be well over £300m.

As for 'proper' teams I've always rated that Swansea side, Toshack-era, when they went up the divisions in successive seasons. L'pool in our Prem season weren't bad either, 0 - 5.
kerry red

« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:33:53 »

I suppose one of the best teams on paper only was the Fulham side who we dumped out of the Cup with Best, Moore etc in their side.

Last season I'd say Walsall at the CG - albeit we were absolute dross.

Saw us beat Juventus 4-0 but haven't a clue who was playing for them - must have had some big names, though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:45:20 »

Although it pains me to say it, I think the classic Dirty Leeds side of 1970, was perhaps the most formidable battle hardened unit I've ever seen at the CG.

We also had what you'd consider one of the finer sides in our history, but after a promising opening, Alan Clarke scored a quick fire brace and then they just did a job on us.

Of course Pere Cooper was part of that side.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19700604

Leeds went on to the famous final of 1970, when Chopper Harris showed the way....this was the game that David Elleray "re-reffed" about 30 years later on TV, and reckoned there should have been 6 reds and 20 yellows  Smiley
kerry red

« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:47:32 »

In the TE for that one.

Interesting afternoon!

As an aside - has anyone on here ever sat in the seats atop the old Shrivvy?
« Last Edit: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:50:22 by Audrey » Logged
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:54:09 »

In the TE for that one.

Interesting afternoon!

Me too. Interesting indeed! Ah, the days of 'pre-segregation'.
kerry red

« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:55:37 »

A line of coppers dissecting the TE and keeping us apart from a load of hairy-arsed Yorkshiremen ( thankfully!)
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 20:00:43 »

A line of coppers dissecting the TE and keeping us apart from a load of hairy-arsed Yorkshiremen ( thankfully!)

Those coppers weren't there when the Dirty Leeds fans first arrived shortly before kick off!

Oh and, yes, I attended one match in the upper part of the Shrivvy. It was for the cup tie against Everton when Kenny Stroud scored that screamer which was goal of the season as I recall.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 20:14:08 »

I suppose on paper the Chelsea side who visited last season, would have to be a contender, what with about 8 or 9 who played in the WC on display, and players like Torres and Mata who'd won WC's and Euros.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 20:21:12 »

Sporting Lisbon  Smiley

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 20:37:01 »

Sporting Lisbon  Smiley

Although only a friendly, Ivailo Iordanov and Krasimir Balakov, who along with Luis Figo, scored that afternoon went on to be part of hte classic Bulgaria 94 WC squad.
Stevens

« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 21:24:54 »

Although it pains me to say it, I think the classic Dirty Leeds side of 1970, was perhaps the most formidable battle hardened unit I've ever seen at the CG.

We also had what you'd consider one of the finer sides in our history, but after a promising opening, Alan Clarke scored a quick fire brace and then they just did a job on us.

Of course Pere Cooper was part of that side.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19700604

Leeds went on to the famous final of 1970, when Chopper Harris showed the way....this was the game that David Elleray "re-reffed" about 30 years later on TV, and reckoned there should have been 6 reds and 20 yellows  Smiley

I was not at the game, but I remember it being Match of the Day.
Instead of it being the goal showed at the end (the norm), it was a flowing move by Swindon and a header I think from Peter Noble just going over the bar ended the programme, as the highlight.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 21:30:50 »

I remember an Ipswich side putting six past us, i think it was in Div. 1 a few years ago.  They played some lovely flowing footy and we never really struck a blow.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 21:37:01 »

Although only a friendly, Ivailo Iordanov and Krasimir Balakov, who along with Luis Figo, scored that afternoon went on to be part of hte classic Bulgaria 94 WC squad.

I believe it was a Wednesday evening actually. It was possible to walk through from the Bank to Shrivvy Road that night so I stood in the old away end corner just for the hell of it. Was Bobby Robson their manager that night?
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 22:06:04 »

I believe it was a Wednesday evening actually. It was possible to walk through from the Bank to Shrivvy Road that night so I stood in the old away end corner just for the hell of it. Was Bobby Robson their manager that night?

Ahhh I think Sir Bobby may have been. All I remember of that game from my youth is that they pissed all over us. They were ruthless.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 22:45:04 »

Sporting Lisbon or real sociadad?  Can't remember.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: