Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best team you've seen at the County Ground  (Read 9708 times)
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 23:05:14 »

Sporting Lisbon or real sociadad?  Can't remember.

The game I remember, we got beaten 6-1! I'm sure it was Lisbon.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #16 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 08:36:32 »

Roda JC (Kerkrade) must be up there as well, we played them in a friendly in 79/80 when they had 3 of the recent 78 world cup finalists play including Jongbloed the keeper who we put 4 goals past.

Also the Fulham side that we beat 5-0 in 77 that included Moore, Best & Marsh.

Or the Arsenal side that came to us in 78/79 that included 9 current internationals from England, Ireland & N Ireland.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 10:04:47 »

Not saying they were the best I've ever seen but I remember us being played off the park by Luton (yes Luton) in the 94/95 relegation season. They were very impressive and the sadly departed David Preece was a key player for them.
kerry red

« Reply #18 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 10:08:16 »

It is always difficult. though, to know whether you are watching a good team or just a dire performance from your own team
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 10:53:18 »

I suppose one of the best teams on paper only was the Fulham side who we dumped out of the Cup with Best, Moore etc in their side.

Last season I'd say Walsall at the CG - albeit we were absolute dross.

Saw us beat Juventus 4-0 but haven't a clue who was playing for them - must have had some big names, though.

Chelsea were best team for me at CG last season, played the game so professionally and gave us a lot of respect. So hard to break them down.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 12:35:18 »

Think you would have to include some of the Italian sides we played in the Anglo Italian Cup winning year, there were some top sides in that including Juventus and Napoli packed full of internationals. People often derided that competition but believe me those Italians wanted to win at all costs! That Shrivvy Road stand was scary I can remember scaling those steps to sit in a rickity old metal stand and some bloody awful wooden seats (High as well).
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #21 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 13:04:38 »

As an aside - has anyone on here ever sat in the seats atop the old Shrivvy?

A mate's family had a couple of season tickets up there for years, so, yes, a few times. The most scary seats ever, but a great view. In their section there was an old boy with a stick, he was right by the door and always seemed to get out first. For night games, by the time you got down those steps after him they'd already called last orders at the Oxford.

Whenever they show the Bradford fire I think of the Shrivvy seats. You would have had no chance of escaping if the same had happened there.

Have to agree with Reg's comment about that 1970 Leeds team, they were superbly organised. Golden season 69/70. QF in the Cup, 5th in the 2nd tier just 3 points off 2nd place, Juve and Napoli here in the Anglo Italian...
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 21:17:20 »

As an aside - has anyone on here ever sat in the seats atop the old Shrivvy?

A mate's family had a couple of season tickets up there for years, so, yes, a few times. The most scary seats ever, but a great view. In their section there was an old boy with a stick, he was right by the door and always seemed to get out first. For night games, by the time you got down those steps after him they'd already called last orders at the Oxford.

Whenever they show the Bradford fire I think of the Shrivvy seats. You would have had no chance of escaping if the same had happened there.

Saw my first ever games there and had a season ticket up there for a couple of years as a youngster, including the classic '79-'80 season. Can remember the noise from various away followings below my feet. Pompey and Wolves were particularly vociferous in evening cup games. Occasionally an away fan head would appear in view having scaled one of the supporting pillars! The Town fans would often express their feelings by stamping their feet on the wooden floorboards. I can't recall there being any facilities to speak of up the top. I believe at half time many whipped down the precarious outside steps to have a slash on the green, corrugated facade of the back of the stand. Others returned at the start of the second half, clutching a steaming bag of chips from The Golden Dragon. Often the highlight of the match!

Uncletrunx

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 21:39:27 »

It wasn't their best game but the Manchester United side that visited the County Ground in 1994 were a bit good. Any team which features the likes of Schmeichel, Ince, Keane, Giggs, Hughes and Cantona amongst others has to be a bit special and I think Town were helped by Cantona jumping up and down on John Moncur and being sent off.

"Absolute Calamity!"
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 22:19:32 »

Not the best team, but one of the best performances i've seen at the County Ground was Derby in December 92. They played us off the park that day, were 3 up after 87 minutes, ended 4-2 with Maskell also missing a penalty at the end but they were all over us and the scoreline was totally misleading, they should have won by 4 or 5 clear goals.

However, although their away form was excellent, their home form wasn't and they ended up finishing halfway whilst we went up.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 22:52:33 »

Saints tore us a new one a few years back.....we got a late goal and made a fist of it but they pissed all over us that night.

Revenge for Austin that night at St Mary's....have that Pardew, you cunt.

Clems Army!
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 00:15:59 »

If i recall correctly that was the night Leon Clarke cried on our pitch.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 07:45:03 »

Check out Statto Jutty....you are right.

3rd Parachute regiment Wolves gave us a right hiding at home last season..

Clems Army!
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 07:58:02 »

Surely the West Ham side in 1967 must be there somewhere....

Especially when there was Martin Peters, Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Jim Standon in goal and John Sissons.

We drew there 3-3 on the Saturday and thumped them 3-1 on the Tuesday

Don Rogers scores two on the Saturday and another one with Ken Skeen and I think Peter Noble on the Tuesday night.

Remember Peters, Moore and Hurst were a large part of the England World Cup winning team just a year earlier.

Talk about "Roy of the rovers" this was "Don walks on water "  Smiley

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 12:45:28 »

As NZ Robin says Moore & Peters were fresh from winning the WC - whereas the Moore, Marsh and Best that were so memorably hammered at the CG in the FAC3 replay were really just picking up the wages by then.

2nd Tier champions elect Derby County in the FLC run of 1969 were probably the pick of the teams to visit the CG in the FLC winning year although 1st tier Coventry and Burnley also visited.  County included Kevin Hector, Alan Durban and Roy McFarland as well as Dave McK*nt.  1/2 that County side were still around in the 1972 season when Cloughie took them to the old Div 1 Championship.

Best team (ie best players putting in a great performance)

1   Dirty Leeds 1970 (FAC6)
2   Arsenal (that FLC Quarter Final)
3   Derby County  (the earlier FLC Quarter Final)
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 12:50:29 by RedRag » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: