Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are we in such bad shape for 25th July?  (Read 13596 times)
dphunt88

Ignore
« on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 12:47:15 »

I think the general supporter consensus is that the squad needs some new signings and fast... but are really in such bad shape? To play devils advocate.

If the season started tomorrow, we'd be able to put the following team out against Scunthorpe;

GK: Foderingham

RCB: N.Thompson (cap)
CB: Rossi-Branco
LCB: Lelan (new loanee from Derby)

RWB: Barthram
LWB: Byrne

RCM: Luongo
DM: Kasim
LCM: L.Thompson

FOR: Williams
FOR: M.Smith

Subs: Belford (GK), Antonio (Samsung winner), M.Jones, Gladwin, Rodgers, Barker, Waldon   

Looking at the above team, I think we can all agree that the recruitment of a centre-half (Stephens?) is essential and I'd like another full-back/wing-back (Brad Smith?) on board so that Barthram can resume his role as a squad player.

Chuck in another centre-forward (another loanee?) and i think we're just about there given what Power/Cooper have been saying publicly in pre-season. It's not a big squad and it's a very young squad (youngest ever?) but there are sprinklings of quality in there - Fodders, Thompsons x 2, Byrne, Luongo and Kasim.

I just fear that until we get some 28-32 year olds into the club, especially at centre-half, the lack of experience topic won't go away.

What do you reckon?

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 12:57:29 »

Pretty much an accurate summary, assuming we fill the LB and CB slot over the coming fortnight, we can field a viable first XI, then it's down to injuries etc. It's not going to take much out of the ordinary wear and tear, to leave us looking thin on the ground though.
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 13:04:40 »

Maybe we'll get the players we need, and maybe we won't.

I never have been good at this speculation malarky.

dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 13:08:26 »

It's not going to take much out of the ordinary wear and tear, to leave us looking thin on the ground though.

I think that's the major concern going into the new season, you're right. Rather than the quality of the first 13-14 players in the squad.

I must add in retrospect, that in an injury emergency, currently we'd be able to call on Ryan Harley and Darren Ward if required. But STFC will be rid of both of them at the first opportunity I imagine, so it's pointless counting them.

Local media whore.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 13:13:14 »

Still think we are short of attacking options as well. Smith and Williams may well have enough goals in them, but one injury/loss of form and we are stuffed.

Time for barker to step up.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 13:17:21 »

We need another forward to compete with (or replace) Smith or Williams.

I mentioned in another thread i think we need a more creative player in the middle as well to go with the new wing back and CB's.

In this formation one of the 3 midfield players needs to be attacking and link the play. Lungo is a great all round box to box player, Kasim best in front of our defence as is Louis. I wonder if Gladwin will get some game time as he has something else about him.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 13:44:23 »

I was surprised to see that Skybet have us as high as in 7th place in the betting to win the division (at 28/1) but then I saw that they also have us in 8th place (at 13/2) to get relegated!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 13:49:13 »

We need another forward to compete with (or replace) Smith or Williams.

I mentioned in another thread i think we need a more creative player in the middle as well to go with the new wing back and CB's.

In this formation one of the 3 midfield players needs to be attacking and link the play. Lungo is a great all round box to box player, Kasim best in front of our defence as is Louis. I wonder if Gladwin will get some game time as he has something else about him.

Gladwin was actually used as an attacking midfielder for his previous club (Margate?). I'd like to see him in that role, he had precious few chances in his position last year.
dphunt88

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 13:50:50 »

Time for barker to step up.

I'll believe it when I see it on the Barker front. Touch of the (poor-man's) Ryan Mason about him... looks a lovely, tricky, technically gifted footballer, but so much about League 1 football centres on physicality, fitness and consistency.

As for Ben Gladwin's role this coming season, it's unfortunate for him that we seem set to abandon the 4-5-1/4-3-3 system because i thought he had some of his best performances for STFC in the wide position last year (Pete'boro away JPT, Preston at home when he won the penno).

I suspect that both Gladwin and Barker will benefit from a fully involved, professional pre-season anyway. Hope to see big strides in both players.

Local media whore.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 15:05:02 »

I can see Gladwin ending up at centre back in a 3.....big bugger and he can pass the ball, if we're short handed might be worth an experiment.
london_red

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 16:55:59 »

I reckon Barker is going to be mint this season
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 17:34:56 »

I can see Gladwin ending up at centre back in a 3.....big bugger and he can pass the ball, if we're short handed might be worth an experiment.

Like a much poorer version of Hoddle?
kerry red

« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 18:29:26 »

Most are
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 19:24:02 »

I think Barthram will be one that will surprise a few this year, with a bit more game time I think he has real potential. His only real flaw is that he's horrendously ginger... No, small, I mean small.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 19:27:54 »

I think Barthram will be one that will surprise a few this year, with a bit more game time I think he has real potential. His only real flaw is that he's horrendously ginger... No, small, I mean small.

Maybe the fact I was on the touchline ( supermarine ) rather than in the gods in the DRS but thought he looked a lil tubbier than last season,
Agreed tho in that he has potential - hopefully will get a run out of extended games
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: