Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are we in such bad shape for 25th July?  (Read 13595 times)
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, July 26, 2014, 14:16:07 »

it's the same model we had under Fitton. Don't remember people complaining about lack of ambition then. Come to that it's pretty much the same model as the entire football league apart from a few "shit or bust" clubs like Bournemouth and QPR. And we know how that would likely go for us - shit and bust. No thanks.
Yes, but we should be self sustainable,  successful and keep our good players until they retire! Why isn't that our model?

It's All Good..............
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, July 26, 2014, 14:55:20 »

Yes

In the absence of a sugar daddy, I think it's probably one of the best models out there. I also think it could help us to be quite successful, provided it is well executed of course.
And surely more attractive to any investment that Power may find?

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, July 26, 2014, 21:28:00 »

Yes. Let's set those panic buttons off.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, July 26, 2014, 21:30:28 »

I like the idea of the model but it's no good if we sell key players and replace them with loans. Would like to see permanent replacements if the likes of the Thompsons, Wes and Mass are sold.
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, July 26, 2014, 22:25:10 »

I like the idea of the model but it's no good if we sell key players and replace them with loans. Would like to see permanent replacements if the likes of the Thompsons, Wes and Mass are sold.

I understand your concern, yet I think many would like us to hold on to the Thompsons for sentimental, rather than practical reasons. Permanent replacements.....they've had a mixed history. Let's not forget that Wes and Mass started as loanees. Perhaps our "sustainable" model isn't too bad afterall.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, July 28, 2014, 15:32:50 »

As there doesn`t appear to be any sort of cash available and the players being signed  so far are untried youths - right now things could be better - not feeling optimistic as previous season starts - looking to be proved wrong  Pint

Bathtime
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, July 28, 2014, 17:38:16 »

But we won't will we? There are limits on the number of loans. We'll probably have 4/5 loanees in the squad this year, same as last year, much the same as the year before that etc. etc. about par for the league to be honest.

..never go back.
deltaincline

« Reply #37 on: Monday, July 28, 2014, 22:40:29 »

I admit openly that I'm depressed when it comes to thinking about STFC this season.

I don't rate Cooper, we've no money, all the paper talk is about giving youth a chance (which is great, except when it's peddled out as an excuse for not paying wages to established footballers - which I suspect is the case here) and we're looking like a selling club - again.

I really think we'll struggle all season.

If we sell Mass or Natahan Thompson, I think we'll flirt with relegation.

Sell both, and we're fucked.

Also, one of my lads asked me an innocent question today while we were talking about Brentfords chances in the Championship - he's a big fan of Pritchard;

Q: Why doesn't someone with loads of money just invest it in Swindon Town so that we can sign some really good players?

A: Someone did. His name was Andrew Black. He chucked £10m in, but Jeremy Wray and Paolo DiCanio spunked it away to such an extent that he took his money away and got out of town.

Then it struck me that Andrew Black was the "once in a lifetime" sugar daddy that every lower league club secretly wishes for and it's unlikely that another one will come along any day soon.

Like I said, I'm depressed :-(
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 06:07:51 »

I don't totally agree with you there delta.

Add a pessimist in not sure this season is going to be as good as last. I don't think it's certain relegation, but losing experience and replacing with youth we are going to have to be bloody lucky with those we bring in.

But there is no option. Power can't afford to subsidise us. So we have to do it. And it can be done. Ask yeovil or to a lesser extent Walsall.

Paolo certainly spent money on shit. But 'spunking money' is not much different to the Bournemouth and Brentford model. You need to do it if you want to optimise your chance of getting out this league.

Black put a shit load in. But he was never the sugar daddy you wanted him to be. He was never that committed or invested in stfc. If he was he'd never have quit at the time he did or stitched us up with Jed. Never a madjetski or Lansdowne (or whatever city's owner is called)

The thing that depressed me is I know we are doing the right thing financially. The only thing we can do. But championship football looks a long way off and we have to settle for mediocrity for a bit. I don't see any evidenced of us doing a Swansea, which is the other way of getting some momentum.

But while there is a club there is always a chance we will be surprised one day.
Stevens

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 06:08:24 »

As there doesn`t appear to be any sort of cash available and the players being signed  so far are untried youths - right now things could be better - not feeling optimistic as previous season starts - looking to be proved wrong  Pint

Look on the bright side - other teams will not have a clue whom they should single out for extra attention, and we could all be very pleasantly surprised with the new talent - well at least for the first 6 games.

I think I can take any outcome this season after the Jed affair so happy he has not taken the helm, that wanker stopped many a move for a better loan player.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 06:32:36 »

Its feeling really flat, its so quiet you wouldnt believe that the new season is just round the corner. personally I  not expecting great things this season, possible low mid table finish
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 06:40:01 »

We'll be operating sustainably with a fanbase of 7,000 or 8,000 - a fanbase that most clubs would die for at this level.  I know it's a long wait (14 years and counting), but sooner or later it will be our time.

Oh, and Cooper - a pre-season game vs Leeds is not 'prestigious'.  I haven't read the article, but hope you were quoted out of context there.
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 06:56:10 »

Still waiting on 4 premier loanees that will supposedly transform the squad. Hard to see Lelan and Rodgers as other than squad players. Andy Williams needs goal or too quick as he is undoubtedly a confidence player and hasn't scored for a year now, although obviously injured for a lot of that. Crying out for experienced older head at back which isn't looking any too likely..............

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
lambourn red

« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:15:25 »

I must admit I am starting to worry a little , our back 4 looks really threadbare at the moment and the front 2 are not going to cause any sleepless nights for L1 defenders. I just don't see how 4 kids from premier academy's with little real football under their belts are going to be enough to compete, I hope cooper can prove me wrong and we get off to a flying start but at the moment it is looking like it could be a long season
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:22:34 »

I don't totally agree with you there delta.

Add a pessimist in not sure this season is going to be as good as last. I don't think it's certain relegation, but losing experience and replacing with youth we are going to have to be bloody lucky with those we bring in.

But there is no option. Power can't afford to subsidise us. So we have to do it. And it can be done. Ask yeovil or to a lesser extent Walsall.

I pretty much agree there.

But this season GJ at Yeovil has a large budget of around £4.5m (even though he hasn't spent much of it). He insisted they gave him the same budget this season as he had in the Championship or he would have left.

Paolo certainly spent money on shit. But 'spunking money' is not much different to the Bournemouth and Brentford model. You need to do it if you want to optimise your chance of getting out this league.

yes Paolo did "spunk money" much as Brentford and Boremuff did....but when Paolo left we were top of the league, it was only when the spending was reined in that we started to plummet somewhat.

The thing that depressed me is I know we are doing the right thing financially. The only thing we can do. But championship football looks a long way off and we have to settle for mediocrity for a bit. I don't see ant evidenced if is doing a Swansea, which is the other way of getting some momentum.

But while there is a club there is always a chance we will be surprised one day.
Again I agree with pretty much all of that.

I have fears about this season but its mostly due to the inexperience and lack of numbers in the squad, but if we get the 4 loanees that we are after then I think we will do alright, we wont set the league on fire but we will more than hold our own. I am sure Power and Cooper are doing their utmost to get in good quality players.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: