Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gasheads are no saints  (Read 15408 times)
Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, September 8, 2013, 12:25:18 »

I went to Wembley in 2007? to watch rovers v Shrewsbury in the po final, went with a rovers supporting workmate. He wore the shirt. I was stood with him at Swindon station feeling uncomfortable  Embarrassed

He's a great bloke, a real family man who enjoys the football.

I can never understand this. I could never sit and watch our rivals play.  No

Now, ain't that just like me?
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, September 8, 2013, 13:20:08 »

I can never understand this. I could never sit and watch our rivals play.  No

'Cos there's more to life than petty rivalry?

My uni 5-a-side team included a Rovers fan, Stoke fan and Burnley fan. We all went to see each others' teams several times, including Rovers away at Wigan. I didn't witness any trouble and the Rovers fans' support of their team during the game was impressive.
Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, September 8, 2013, 22:32:43 »

'Cos there's more to life than petty rivalry?

My uni 5-a-side team included a Rovers fan, Stoke fan and Burnley fan. We all went to see each others' teams several times, including Rovers away at Wigan. I didn't witness any trouble and the Rovers fans' support of their team during the game was impressive.

Petty? I would not call rivalry petty at any point. There is nothing better than the passion and emotions of a good fashioned derby match, to sing songs about our rivals and detest the opposition players that play against us. To then go and sit with they're fans is morally wrong where I come from. You sound as though you are a new breed of 'fan', not the same ingrained morals imposed on you by your seniors? I am against modern football, you sir exemplify a modern 'fan' if you think its fine to go and attend a match in our rivals support.

Now, ain't that just like me?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 09:38:09 »

Petty? I would not call rivalry petty at any point. There is nothing better than the passion and emotions of a good fashioned derby match, to sing songs about our rivals and detest the opposition players that play against us. To then go and sit with they're fans is morally wrong where I come from. You sound as though you are a new breed of 'fan', not the same ingrained morals imposed on you by your seniors? I am against modern football, you sir exemplify a modern 'fan' if you think its fine to go and attend a match in our rivals support.

I've been to see numbers of games down the years as a neutral....don't think the generational thing enters into it, people just see going to games in different ways...for sure you have fundamentalists, but then you can others who are essentally tourists.

Personally setting foot in Ashton Gate as a neutral would be impossible, whereas I did once win some tickets for Bristol Rovers v Wigan in a quiz, and was quite happy to attend....the fact that the M4 was blocked by a crash, meant we never made it, and didn't care.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 09:41:31 »

I actually went to see the new Wembley for the first time  Smiley

Edit: Rovers fans were pretty loud too (with their one song  Wink )
« Last Edit: Monday, September 9, 2013, 10:28:58 by 4D » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 10:24:45 »

Blimey.  I have breached your moral code as well then.  I used to go in the Rovers end at Twerton with a Rovers supporting school friend and he would come in our end at the County Ground.  Not something I would choose to do every week, but interesting on the odd occasion.  It's got bugger all to do with being 'modern',  I can assure you.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 12:24:12 »

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm in my 40s, watched Town at over 80 away grounds, and trips to Finland and Holland, been given a good kicking by the Pox, and would prefer to stand on a terrace than sit in a plastic tip-up seat, so hardly 'new breed', and I certainly don't need a 'senior' (whatever that is) to impose some morals on me.

So it is morally wrong to watch football matches with friends who happen to support 'rival' teams? What complete and utter bollocks. Perhaps it demonstrates I have massive balls because I've actually sat and stood amongst fans of rival clubs? Or, more accurately, it just shows that that I have the capacity to accept that not all my friends have to be Swindon Town fans and that I don't have to hate people I make acquaintance with just because they support a different football team to me.

A few years back I stood in the Blackthorn End (not with my Rovers-supporting friend) to watch Rovers lose to Wycombe, with the consequence that Rovers were relegated and Town escaped heading to the basement. Now that was tense, and at times a bit hairy. Apparently there were Town and City fans in with the Wycombe fans that night. Was that a morally wrong act on my behalf?

And, where I come from, it is 'their' not 'they're', and the odd apostrophe would not go amiss. Perhaps you need a 'senior' to impose some education on you?  Cheesy

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 12:27:21 »

Rivalry !!

I would NEVER watch Oxford Utd play other than against us.
To actually think of putting money in their coffers would make me sick.
I would not even consider going to the Cinema or Bowlplex where Oxfords ground is due to some of the money lining Kassam's pocket.

I guess it has something to do with age, history and where you came from.

I don't even consider both Bristol Clubs or even Reading as rivals.

Right or wrong I will never change...........Pure hate of the filth.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 12:31:14 »

Rivalry !!

I would not even consider going to the Cinema or Bowlplex where Oxfords ground is due to some of the money lining Kassam's pocket.

Yeah, but Uncle Firoz has done a decent job of screwing them over...surely you should want to encourage him, by putting money into his pocket.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #39 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 12:35:27 »

Rivalry !!

If you are going to refer to "history", you need to remember that Reading and the two Bristol clubs were our local rivals long before those upstarts along the A420 came on the scene.  They only entered the league in the early 1960s.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 12:35:47 »

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm in my 40s, watched Town at over 80 away grounds, and trips to Finland and Holland, been given a good kicking by the Pox, and would prefer to stand on a terrace than sit in a plastic tip-up seat, so hardly 'new breed', and I certainly don't need a 'senior' (whatever that is) to impose some morals on me.

So it is morally wrong to watch football matches with friends who happen to support 'rival' teams? What complete and utter bollocks. Perhaps it demonstrates I have massive balls because I've actually sat and stood amongst fans of rival clubs? Or, more accurately, it just shows that that I have the capacity to accept that not all my friends have to be Swindon Town fans and that I don't have to hate people I make acquaintance with just because they support a different football team to me.

A few years back I stood in the Blackthorn End (not with my Rovers-supporting friend) to watch Rovers lose to Wycombe, with the consequence that Rovers were relegated and Town escaped heading to the basement. Now that was tense, and at times a bit hairy. Apparently there were Town and City fans in with the Wycombe fans that night. Was that a morally wrong act on my behalf?

And, where I come from, it is 'their' not 'they're', and the odd apostrophe would not go amiss. Perhaps you need a 'senior' to impose some education on you?  Cheesy

Well put !  Grin I can remember going to watch Stoke play just because Macari was their manager. Am I guilty too ?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 12:49:43 »

Long time ago now, but I saw Rotherham and Portsmouth play at the Manor with friends.  The Pompey game was bizarre.  Ended 5-5 with two Oxford goals in the last minute.  I think the Duke would have expired!   Grin
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 12:53:06 »

"Morally wrong" what a ridculous phrase to use about anything football rivaly related.

The Slave Traders are my biggest rival, detest them far more than Oxford. However me and few mates (inc 2 city fans) go on the piss a couple of time a season in Bristol and watch a game at Ashton Gate in between drinking, i go in the away end. Does that make me morally wrong as I'm paying into City's coffers?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 12:55:38 »

Shall I just go back and delete my post?  Zipped

I went to support Shrewsbury  Cheesy
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 12:55:43 »

It's amazing how many different angles people can find to proclaim themselves better fans than others.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: