Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peterborough United v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 51397 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 16:47:14 »

Sounds like we gave a good account of ourselfs.

Give Cooper the job and let us stop messing around.

Going to be an interesting season for sure.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 17:45:37 »

Eerily quiet on here after a defeat..

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 17:47:41 »

Normally we like a good moan.  A rare defeat where we walk away relatively pleased.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 17:54:00 »

Seems to be a few people disappointed that we didn't get stuffed and the TE goes into meltdown!
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 17:57:50 »

Sounds like we gave a good account of ourselfs.

Give Cooper the job and let us stop messing around.

Going to be an interesting season for sure.

You do know we lost, right? What does that make his record now, as a league manager, 1 win in 14?
Quick, sign him up, before PSG come in for him
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 18:00:54 »

Yes have to say it would be good to take a considered approach to appointing a manager rather than just giving it to the bloke that is there just for the sake of appointing someone.

Depends on who else is available I suppose.

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 18:22:38 »

Glad to hear the lads didnt do badly. Expected defeat and my concerns remain. Obvious we need forwards of quality and quickly.  I also think our side will struggle with direct football and sides that press high.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 18:35:27 »

I expect our rabble will be back soon with their own comments. In the meantime a Posh fans view, quite well written:

http://www.not606.com/showthread.php/222873-Posh-vs-Robins?s=6800e8cf1d802d54da5f7ab0272dcb4f

Posh 1 (Assombalonga) Swindon 0

After what seemed a never-ending summer break football finally returned to London Road, hopefully to put the heartache
of the last minute defeat that sent us down to bed.

Posh started brightly enough although it was former loanee Alex Pritchard that had the first shot at goal.

Danny Kearns buzzed about in midfield, harrying the Robins players, leaving McCann to control play.

Swindon played neat and tidy football with good movement off the ball and accurate passing matching the Posh, where they were lacking was upfront, whilst Posh had recently signed Britt Assombalonga.

Ironically it was 'route 1' football that led to the only goal of the game, a fine pass from the boot of Michael Bostwick lofted forward and well anticipated by Britt, sprinting away from his marker to latch onto the ball and fire it into the net past a helpless Foderingham.

This lifted the crowd and we were of the opinion that the goal would settle any first day nerves of the Posh players and we would run out comfortable winners.

Apart from one fine save by Olejnik there was little goal-mouth action worthy of note at either end of the pitch.

At the end of the first half many of us thought that Fergie's team talk during the break would get the Posh to raise their game and show their Championship pedigree.

Not a bit of it! Such was the quality of possession I thought for a moment that Posh had changed into red shirts, yet it was Swindon running the show leaving Posh chasing shadows, loose balls unchallenged, a mere shadow of the team that started the match (apart from the Defence), thankfully we no longer leak goals at an alarming rate,
though Swindon were unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions, only good defending and the woodwork preventing a well-deserved equaliser.

Perhaps Posh were playing with only 10 men I wondered, which might account for the plethora of Red shirts which seemed everywhere. It was only when Lee Tomlin was substituted that I realised that he had in fact been on the pitch during the second half, such was his lack of impact in the latter part of the match.

Posh were far from their best and won,whilst Swindon can count themselves unlucky not to salvage a point, or indeed even win the match. There is much to admire about the Swindon team, Pritchard, Reis and Foderingham amongst others. Sign one or two proven goalscorers and they need have no fear of relegation and may even find themselves at the other end of the table.

The positives for Posh? A win, a good Defensive performance and a goal for the debutante, but a much needed improvement is needed in Midfield if we are to maintain a winning run, especially away from home.

After all their pre-season turmoil and changes, well done to Mark Cooper and Swindon, you deserved better
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 18:37:53 by Batch » Logged
SleafordRobin

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 18:42:58 »

Just got back, and although disappointed with the result, I'm really encouraged by the performance.  Went to Charters pre-match and mingled with load of Posh fans who were critical of Cooper's route one tactics.  Ironic that thats exactly the way they scored & threatened first half.

Great finish for their goal though & as has probably already been mentioned that's the difference between a 1.5 mil striker & Williams, who I thought was poor & lazy.

I reckon we have a gem in Mason, he was class throughout & I thought he & Harley played well.  Reis also looks quality.

I feel a lot more upbeat after today, I wasn't sure what to expect & saw some really good stuff, we need a striker that can play the lone role though.  I'd give Cooper a run, I quite like him!
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 18:44:31 »

Came away today far from disappointed.  Like most I has no idea what to expect at the start, but on the basis of today reckon it won't turn out too bad.  Considering that many of the team have hardly played any competitive football, I can see them coming on and adapting better as the season progresses.
The blindingly obvious is that we need a striker. Williams just didn't get in the game and doesn't seem to suit the system.
After a dodgy start, being done by a well taken route 1 goal, I envisaged a tough afternoon ahead but by the end Peterborough were grateful for the game to draw to a close.
Was most impressed with Mason this afternoon and Luongo looked good as the game developed.
I was a bit disappointed with Pritchard; he's been billed as the class act but seemed to get muscled out far too much today.  Hopefully, a few games on he'll start to shine.
Tijane showed some lovely skills but not always the best distribution and I wondered at one stage if he'd last the match after a couple of very late challenges from him.
I thought Kasim looked solid when he came on, so hopefully a good acquisition.
I wasn't too sure about Smith; seemed a bit dodgy in the first half, maybe nerves, but contributed more as the game progressed.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 18:47:50 »

Tijane has to be short of match fitness doesn't he, having spent most of pre-season waiting for international clearance.
SleafordRobin

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 18:50:28 »

I expect our rabble will be back soon with their own comments. In the meantime a Posh fans view, quite well written:

http://www.not606.com/showthread.php/222873-Posh-vs-Robins?s=6800e8cf1d802d54da5f7ab0272dcb4f

Pretty much agree with all of that!
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 18:57:34 »

Tijane has to be short of match fitness doesn't he, having spent most of pre-season waiting for international clearance.
Also, I'd imagine the style and pace of league 1 is bit different to the Portuguese 2nd or 3rd division.  Can imagine it'll take a little while to adapt.
chunky monkey

« Reply #193 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 18:58:03 »

Poole Town 0-1 Burton Bradstock  Pint

Poole Town didn't have a game today, they played Wimborne last night in a friendly  Hmmm

All sounded very promising, but the lack of a striker that can play the lone role is something that needs addressing if the system is going to work. Certainly not concerned at the moment
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 20:47:19 by chunky monkey » Logged
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 20:23:40 »

Could someone who went to the game do player ratings from 1 to 10 please?

Regarding Benson, a natural striker he might be but is he capable of playing as a lone striker at his age for the entire season?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: