Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: PDC Personnel  (Read 12945 times)
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 13:13:33 »

and if he makes promises expect them to be all bluster with no substance and you won't be disappointed.

With regard to matters on the pitch, Di Canio delivered on every promise he made. I can forgive him the tattoo.

I'm pretty sure all of Di Canio's important backroom staff from his time here are now with him at Sunderland. I'd wish you luck for the season, but you've got a great manager now and won't need it.
SKPhillips

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 13:15:08 »

Leon Clarke might be worth a call?

I had considered it but I think I might have a few problems with that one as it was never resolved. I'm gonna try for big Wes but doubt they'll be too fond of that either, even though it was resolved, allegedly.
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 13:19:27 »

Cheers, I'll try Paul Bodin. If anyone else has any suggestions then keep them coming!
I'm sure Jonathan Tehoue would love to share his opinion on Di Canio

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 13:21:13 »

A self-opinionated prick who puts himself before everything else except his immediate family!!  Also well versed in the art of breaking into football stadiums - well he had a key and came back in the middle of the night to "collect" some personal belongings, STFC still have it on tape so try Mark Isaacs (stadium manager)!

PS We actually loved him here, but it has all turned out bad now!!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 13:22:55 »

There's a lot of revisionism going on here.  When he was with us, the ego was forgiven...mostly.  He was charismatic, and the fans loved it.  (Does he do the thing with the scarf at full time at your place?  He honed that one at the County Ground.)  But now he's gone, the charisma means nothing and it's all 'ego, ego, ego'.  In fact, bring up the subject of PDC and a lot of the opinions on here start to resemble those on an Oxford forum circa 2011.

It was the same when Hoddle left...from God to Judas in the space of about 5 minutes.  And there are some out there who still haven't forgiven him.
SKPhillips

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 13:36:44 »

Yeah I can understand if fans aren't his biggest fan anymore, we have a similar situation with Martin O'Neill, only O'Neill obviously didn't break into the Stadium of Light to retrieve his Sherlock Holmes books, or leave in a strop, so it's not as sensitive. To be honest I don't think the old fella has it in him.

It probably will end in tears with Di Canio, but that seems to be the theme with most managers these days, it would be hard for any Sunderland fan to argue that he's not an egotist. There's a very fine line between genius and madness and Di Canio has made a career of dancing on that line. Hopefully he'll do us right in the meantime though.

I can't see myself getting any joy, but I'll let you know how I get on and if I find anything out.

Cheers for your help!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 13:49:04 »

There's a lot of revisionism going on here.  When he was with us, the ego was forgiven...mostly.  He was charismatic, and the fans loved it.  (Does he do the thing with the scarf at full time at your place?  He honed that one at the County Ground.)  But now he's gone, the charisma means nothing and it's all 'ego, ego, ego'.  In fact, bring up the subject of PDC and a lot of the opinions on here start to resemble those on an Oxford forum circa 2011.

It was the same when Hoddle left...from God to Judas in the space of about 5 minutes.  And there are some out there who still haven't forgiven him.

I suppose I could be accused of revisionism, as I was happy with him when he was here, proud of the club and proud of our achievements. But it's the stuff that's come out after he's left, the stuff that smacks of selfishness, his lack of loyalty despite preaching it repeatedly as the most important thing at the club, and his general 'I don't give a shit about your football club anymore now they're not paying my wages, despite repeatedly stating that it was not about the money, it was about integrity and principle and loyalty' nature that has pissed me off and made me change my mind.

His 1.5 seasons in charge will go down in my memory as some of the best football I've seen at the County Ground, and some of the most fun I've had following the team (I'm young, so I'm not arguing they're the best- just the best I've seen). But those memories will be tainted by everything that happened after Ritchie was sold. I was a staunch Di Canio supporter (I didn't worship his very existence mind, I knew he was a flawed genius), but I do look back on all that with some bitterness.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 13:59:19 »

Football fans in fickle shock.

When he was here, he was great and his shortcomings were largely ignored. After he left he was a cunt.

It's All Good..............
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #23 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 14:03:10 »

Football fans in fickle shock.

When he was here, he was great and his shortcomings were largely ignored. After he left he was a cunt.

It was the manner of his leaving.....
fatbasher

« Reply #24 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 18:07:10 »

Paul bodin and Kate cady would have interesting thoughts on Di canio
As would one of the admin staff who under pain of death and a wedge is swore to silence "allegedly"
chunky monkey

« Reply #25 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 18:27:09 »

As would one of the admin staff who under pain of death and a wedge is swore to silence "allegedly"

Ha, ha, wonder what went on there
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 18:38:10 »

Spill?
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 18:50:33 »

I suppose I could be accused of revisionism, as I was happy with him when he was here, proud of the club and proud of our achievements. But it's the stuff that's come out after he's left, the stuff that smacks of selfishness, his lack of loyalty despite preaching it repeatedly as the most important thing at the club, and his general 'I don't give a shit about your football club anymore now they're not paying my wages, despite repeatedly stating that it was not about the money, it was about integrity and principle and loyalty' nature that has pissed me off and made me change my mind.

His 1.5 seasons in charge will go down in my memory as some of the best football I've seen at the County Ground, and some of the most fun I've had following the team (I'm young, so I'm not arguing they're the best- just the best I've seen). But those memories will be tainted by everything that happened after Ritchie was sold. I was a staunch Di Canio supporter (I didn't worship his very existence mind, I knew he was a flawed genius), but I do look back on all that with some bitterness.

In terms of his commitment to the job he is pretty much faultless. There aren't many managers who would carry on working in the immediate aftermath of both parents deaths, who'd shovel snow off the pitch with the fans to get a game on into the early hours of the morning, who would put in the hours he does in training and in preparatory work/ analysis of the opposition before a game.

It's his commitment to the club and its supporters, or moreover his proclamations of commitment to the club and its supporters, which form such a central part of his cult of personality, that ring hollow in hindsight, and will, in time, ring equally hollow for Sunderland fans I'm sure, though I don't doubt they'll get swept up in it in the same way we did while he was here (and why not? footballs an entertainment/ community sport at heart, and in terms of entertainment, and forging a sense of community, you won't get many better managers for that while he lasts).

I think what's different with Di Canio from others who preach loyalty without practising it (which is, lets face it, a pretty ubiquitous characteristic in the game) is that the sense of relationship and unity he forges between fans/ players/ manager is so strong that, like any extremely close relationship that comes to a messy end, the manner of the break up, and the fallout of having to pick-up the pieces in the aftermath (which we are currently going through now), and the lingering questions of what could have been, mean the memory of his tenure, and the excitement of all that went on during it, will always be qualified by what followed, and not taken for what it was while we were in the midst of it: probably the most enjoyable period to be a Swindon fan since the early/mid 90s.

To the Sunderland fan, if you want a summary of what are, in my opinion, the contradictory character traits that make up the man from what we saw of him in his time here: he's a great tactician, an incredibly hard worker, a hopeless man manager, a financial liability in the transfer market* and a staggering egotist who will leave a trail of entertainment and destruction in his wake in equal measure when he departs.

In short:

Enjoy him while you've got him. Don't expect to love him once he's left.

*don't think having a DOF will protect you from this. If Di Canio falls out with a player (he will) that's it for them. They'll either be ostracised from the squad while continuing to drain you of wages, sold on the cheap, loaned out or have his contract paid up. And don't think he picks his battles either; he fell out with our top scorer and our captain while here and neither were seen again.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 19:00:34 »

^^ good post ^^ not much to add.

In summary you get commitment and results if the premier poofs can hack it, but it comes at a price.

I wouldn't undo the time we had under him if I could. There were so many great moments.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, August 2, 2013, 19:01:37 »

Di Canio was the best thing to happen to this club for years,he had the carpet pulled from under him by the former chairman.
As for the comments on this thread....well some never ever saw the great man in action so tend to be doom merchants on the back of Paolo's actions when he left.

Great manager,great motivator......great man maybe not,but who gives a fuck when you have someone like him in charge....all the best and enjoy the ride because it will be fun.

Cringeworthy reading these muppet comments from the like of DMR....if you aint got nothing to contribute to the forum which is slightly interesting why not do me a favour and get yourself banned.
If ever there was a miserable sad cynical person...it is you.

And the truth is Paolo took us up....and had us top of League 1 when he left....not exactly his fault he was given the funds....in fact it was the reason why he took the job here in the first place because he was promised them.

Can understand the comments by many fans on here....but i beg to differ so there you go.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: