Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 43   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Friendlies 2013  (Read 116240 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #375 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 05:48:10 »

I'd echo those who are struggling to get excited for the season ahead. Whilst I suppose it is only sensible for the club to manage expectations, I would personally rather have a effective, winning side than an attractive losing one. Stoke fans have more fun than Crewe fans. I don't remember the last time I walked in on a Saturday evening and said "we lost, but it's OK, it looked nice." I'll still go mind you and look forward to eating my words as we carve up League 1 with our direct, aerial prowess.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 06:11:45 »

Sounds like we did ok ref official write up.

Still about three players short I reckon.

How did Rodgers do?

Clems Army!
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 07:04:24 »

I'd echo those who are struggling to get excited for the season ahead. Whilst I suppose it is only sensible for the club to manage expectations, I would personally rather have a effective, winning side than an attractive losing one. Stoke fans have more fun than Crewe fans. I don't remember the last time I walked in on a Saturday evening and said "we lost, but it's OK, it looked nice." I'll still go mind you and look forward to eating my words as we carve up League 1 with our direct, aerial prowess.

I get the sentiment behind the post i.e an effective side v a pretty side. Amen to that!

Not sure comparing Stoke v Crewe is the best though. Massive difference in size of club there. Also with the players we have on the books we'd be pretty mental playing long ball football I'd say.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 08:43:59 »

Some comments from my old man who went to the game last night -

Reasonably enjoyable match last night, both teams playing the ball around with little cutting edge. Not sure how strong Southampton were as there were no names on the shirts, but they were the more competent team in the first half and threatened more.

They scored a scruffy goal from a corner, our defence didn't react to the second ball, and only when we switched strikers for 2 midgets (again no names on shirts) did we start to press. We finished the better team and could have pinched a draw.

Kasim, Luango and Fods looked good even if Kasim played out of position at centre back. The Thompsons were competitive but let themselves down with poor passing but both, especially Louis, have great engines. Branco started lethargic but improved and was not disgraced. Whoever came on for us didn't look out of place and one fair headed lad looked very competent for 10 mins when he came on at the end.

Disappointing was Smith and Williams. Neither threatened, Williams created one chance, but put in a powder puff shot. Smiths inability to control the ball is still present and i'm not sure it they can play together. Byrne is Bryne, not my favourite player, gets himself in good positions but doesn't do anything with it.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 08:47:09 »

Last one i attended was v Wham,cant remember if it was late 70s early 80s though  Huh?
It kicked off in the Brunel rooms on the Friday night,The Jam were playing and the "banter" carried on right through the Saturday.Must be the most unfriendly  friendly ever .

Was that the game when Club Tropicana drinks were free?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 09:33:32 »

Was that the game when Club Tropicana drinks were free?
No. That was just a careless whisper.

It's All Good..............
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 10:02:06 »

That's bad boys!
kerry red

« Reply #382 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 10:03:24 »

Did they do one called

'Tug in a Public Lav'
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 10:51:21 »

Wrong thread?  Smiley
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:04:16 »

Certainly not our worst player over the years, but IMO he will be remembered more as about the generation of players who cared more for protecting  their own Image than the team, and therfore will not be remembered well. I include others like Ferdinand,Cole,Terry,Beckham and Rooney in that amongst others, so therefore only 1 remaining to ditch, and maybe some of the things that made us all like following England might return, when they've all gone.

That's not a bad set of trialists for a friendly match though Smiley

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
dalumpimunki

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #385 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:05:20 »

Really? I don't remember repeated fan protests outside Crewe games calling for the board to sack the manager. I do remember hearing Stoke fans spending the best part of two seasons banging on that Pulis had to go because his "effective, winning side" was so stunningly dull that fans were drifting away from supporting the side. And I do remember the Stoke board sacking him once the season ticket sales and match day walk ups had dropped off to the point that they couldn't ignore it anymore.

..never go back.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:20:43 »

Wrong thread?  Smiley

Yeah I'm a dumbass Smiley
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 20:28:31 »

Did they do one called

'Tug in a Public Lav'
No but Bruce Foxton whacked me over the head with his bass guitar  Too Cool
Hammer

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #388 on: Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 02:18:52 »

Really? I don't remember repeated fan protests outside Crewe games calling for the board to sack the manager. I do remember hearing Stoke fans spending the best part of two seasons banging on that Pulis had to go because his "effective, winning side" was so stunningly dull that fans were drifting away from supporting the side. And I do remember the Stoke board sacking him once the season ticket sales and match day walk ups had dropped off to the point that they couldn't ignore it anymore.

Not quite true. Stoke attendances have always held up around the 26-27,000 mark. 13,000 plastic supporters have always ensured that. It is true that many of their traditional supporters have declined due to the "over-paid" syndrome of the greedy, arrogant Premier League.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #389 on: Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 10:24:01 »

Not quite true. Stoke attendances have always held up around the 26-27,000 mark. 13,000 plastic supporters have always ensured that. It is true that many of their traditional supporters have declined due to the "over-paid" syndrome of the greedy, arrogant Premier League.

This is hardly my main point. You argued that Stoke fans were happy regardless of the type of football they played, and the evidence is that a sizeable enough proportion of them were unhappy enough to make sufficient noise to get the manager sacked.

Ask West Ham fans if all they're interested in is winning. Most of the Boleyn booed their team off the park after a WIN last season for chrissake.

..never go back.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 43   Go Up
Print
Jump to: