Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best seats in the County Ground  (Read 13700 times)
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 17:06:38 »

Now that details have been announced for next season I'm going to take the plunge and get my first season ticket.

I moved back to the Swindon area a couple of years ago so haven't been to many games in the preceeding few years, but since moving back I've been to most home games this season and have tried out lots of different places to sit/stand in order to figure out where I like.

These are my thoughts on what the different parts of the ground are like, but what I'm really after is your thoughts on the best place in the ground to buy a season ticket, especially if it's somewhere I haven't discovered yet.

Town End - Obviously the best atmosphere, and also cheapest, but lets face it the view leaves a lot to be desired. That being said I've only really stood in the front 5 or 6 rows so not sure if it's better further back. I reckon just to the side of the goal gives the best view, but you have to watch out for what part of the pitch will be blocked by the pillars.

Arkells - Usually a shit atmosphere with a lot of people who like a good moan, but the view is much better than the Town End and I like being close to the dugouts and the tunnel (although this might have been more of a factor with PdC in charge). Higher up than the VIP seating is too high for me so I usually go for the rows in front of the VIP seats as high up and central as possible (although row KK has really bad legroom). I also like having the Legends available for half time.

DRS - The rake of the seats combined with the proximity of the pitch means the view's really good, and the lack of a VIP area means you can get a pretty central seat at a decent height. I reckon the best row for this is probably the front row of the upper section (row H), although judging by which seats are available at matchday prices there are already a lot of season tickets here. The atmosphere is also better than the Arkells. If you go towards one of the goals then it has to be Town End side for the atmosphere. But, it's the other side of the pitch to the dugout and tunnel so you don't feel quite as involved in that side of things.

I'm still undecided, anyone got any thoughts/tips?
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 17:13:15 »

Plenty of space on the Bank but a bit lonely and draughty too!
SleafordRobin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 17:23:23 »

I'm in the DR, top by the "O", we sing when we're told!
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 17:25:07 »

This will open up a hornets nest of anti town end, followed by anti DRS banter

And dalumpymonkey will ask us what we mean by DRS, as it used to be called the Shrivenham road stand when he last went

Red Frog will then accuse me of having a go at him and 10 others.

Lets see how it pans out
wigglesworth

« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 18:47:15 »

Entirely depends on what you're looking for from your matchday experience

If you like to sit still for ninety minutes, grumble occasionally at the lino, and your favourite song is 'Glad all over' - go for the Arkells
If you like to sit still for ninety minutes, sing only when and what you are told, and you only have one song - sit in the don rogers
If you like to stand for ninety minutes and make a bit of noise, but don't mind only getting 45minutes worth of viewing - go for town end right side
If you like to sit for ninety minutes and make the odd bit of noise, but don't mind only getting 45minutes worth of viewing - go for town end left side

this could be summed up in a simple flow chart if I knew how to upload stuff to the internet...

« Last Edit: Friday, March 1, 2013, 18:55:37 by wigglesworth » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 18:50:04 »

Arkells.half time beer.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 18:53:28 »

They have a bar in the DRS.

Things get better but they never get good
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 18:58:49 »

DRS all the way for me. The atmosphere isn't as good as the TE, but the view is great. Anyway, I save myself for away games when it comes to standing and singing.

It's All Good..............
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 18:59:28 »

They have a bar in the DRS.
definitely the Don Rogers over the coffin dodgers stand.
GoSWINDON
Making the best out of the little I have.

going for a poo see you in two

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 19:03:52 »

Don Rogers easily , towards the Town End and you get a decent atmosphere

If I Don't See You Through  Week, I'll See You Through Window
Dirty Harry

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 19:09:43 »

I sit in the Don Rogers around the half way line on row K and the view is fantastic but the town end is cracking for atmosphere so when i have not got my kid with me and i go for a pre match drink i get my ticket transferred to the town end. I have sat in the Arkells a few times for Youth cup and i noticed that the rain gets you no matter where you sit.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 19:17:44 »

Don Rogers, back row, second last block towards the town end.

Never knowingly overstated.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 19:20:25 »

Only bad bit about the DRS is it takes ages to get out if you're at the back.
Dozno9

« Reply #13 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 19:23:29 »

If you don't wish to; hear any pre-match songs, know who just been put into the hall of fame or know who the fuck's playing, then my friend the DRS is for you.
WR5

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, March 1, 2013, 19:27:40 »

DRS Town End side. Row L good view reasonable atmosphere

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: