Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC v Doncaster Rovers FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 19328 times)
kerry red

« Reply #165 on: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 21:20:00 »

Anyone know any origin for 'pop your clogs'?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 21:28:56 »

Anyone know any origin for 'pop your clogs'?

A quick google suggests pawning (pop) your cloggs (warn by poor millers)  in order to pay for a funeral, i.e. someone pawning cloggs as they don't need them any more because they are dead.

But why would you pawn them, surely the family wouldn't buy them back again.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 22:55:56 »

What I didn't realise, and what was in no way evident from yesterday's performance, was that Doncaster had the best away record in league 1.

Where was barn door Billy* for them? Injured I assume ?

* Can't remember who named him that, I like it.
Thats right Batch. They were saying on the radio yesterday that Donny were struggling for numbers because of a virus had hit the squad this week. Think I'm right in saying they have only lost one away game and have only failed to score once away from home. With those stats I wouldn't imagine they normally play so defensively. You would have to say under the circumstances we would of probably done the same and been happy with the point.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 23:05:29 by Notts red » Logged
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 23:03:12 »

If Thompson doesn't get skinned, the o.g doesn't happen, but Hollands dealt with it worse than Risser at Wembley - just put your fucking foot through it, man! Dreadful.

One thing i liked about Doncaster, their goalie always looked to play it out short, no hoofball from them.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Monday, December 10, 2012, 07:35:15 »

Their keeper couldnt kick for shit
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Monday, December 10, 2012, 09:16:28 »

Their keeper couldnt kick for shit
I didn't think ours was much better either, and don't get me started on the number of times our players slipped over during the game!
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Monday, December 10, 2012, 09:18:39 »

I'd agree with the Gary Roberts "good player, no confidence" diagnosis.
I am not sure how fit he is, they trained indoors at the Cirencester Arena twice last week (Tuesday and Wednesday) and GR sat out both sessions. 
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Monday, December 10, 2012, 11:01:32 »

Just back.

Frustrating day overall but can't fault the effort of the team. A gift of a goal for Doncaster who I thought started quite brightly and I liked the look of their left winger who skinned Thomspson a couple of times early. After that, it was all us. The amount of balls we were putting into their box, we really should have won about 4-1. You could see clear as day Williams pulling out of rounding the keeper but I guess this is because the last time he went in with a keeper he got injured so that must have been at the back of his mind.

The back 4, De Vita and Bostock were the stand out players for me. I thought JB at times oozed class.

Its a real shame we don't have a 20 goal striker in this team as I think this is going to be the difference between promotion and mid table this year

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Monday, December 10, 2012, 11:05:08 »

Oh and Gary Roberts coming on for Rafa was a bad substitute. GR clearly has zero confidence, his first touch was a miscontrol which luckily he managed to rectify and make a neat pass and the chance he got on the box, swing your foot at it man! I think someone mentioned it but he never looked like he wanted the ball from Devera, he should have hugged the touchline but kept going infield meaning that Devera had to give the ball backwards to Ward.

On another note, it was quite refreshing to see that we weren't just launching the ball into the box second half and trying to work an opening. Ward got a lot of possession which he tried to use (not always well) and we worked the ball well, without resorting to lumping the thing into the mixer.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
STFC4LIFE
Fence Fucker

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Monday, December 10, 2012, 11:12:43 »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Roberts gone next month to be honest, it's just not happening for him here.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Monday, December 10, 2012, 11:18:45 »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Roberts gone next month to be honest, it's just not happening for him here.

Maybe he just hasn't settled here. Has he been plying his trade oop north for most of his career?

nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Monday, December 10, 2012, 11:35:16 »

I would be surprised, as I don't see anyone wanting him.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Monday, December 10, 2012, 11:44:22 »

He has played 40+ games for Huddersfield in each of the last few seasons so it's fair to say that he doesn't have injury problems and has clearly been a consistent performer in a decent Huddersfield team.

I haven't seen him play but surely he can't be that bad? Is it just due to the hype when we signed him that people are so disappointed or is he Ricky Shakes all over again?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Monday, December 10, 2012, 11:50:21 »

He has played 40+ games for Huddersfield in each of the last few seasons so it's fair to say that he doesn't have injury problems and has clearly been a consistent performer in a decent Huddersfield team.

I haven't seen him play but surely he can't be that bad? Is it just due to the hype when we signed him that people are so disappointed or is he Ricky Shakes all over again?

At least Shakes had some pace!

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Monday, December 10, 2012, 11:50:51 »

Its quite painful as we all want him to be a success but as the games progress, its just not happening.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: