Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stockholm  (Read 4677 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, November 30, 2012, 12:16:57 »

It's a lovely part of the world, and quite accessible from Swindon....used to go there loads, but not for a while. Think it was the closeness of Milford Haven, which put me off that particular corner....definitely an oversight on my part.
Pembrokeshire is beautiful, especially Tenby.

i thought Milford Haven was ok to be honest
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, November 30, 2012, 12:20:57 »

Spent a long weekend there when I was younger and single.

Great City - Expensive drinking but the night life fantastic.

Women stunning and like English guys. Plenty of people getting pissed though despite the expensive prices.

Stayed in the Sheraton Hotel.

A cracking weekend............and those Women.........go for it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, November 30, 2012, 12:27:27 »

Pembrokeshire is beautiful, especially Tenby.

i thought Milford Haven was ok to be honest

Pre internet, my modus operandi, was to look at maps, which would then give a feel for a place. Select an area by that method, and visit....I always felt that Milford Haven, being a stonking great oil terminal, was one to miss.  This perception wasn't helped when being down that way, mid 90's just after the Sea Empress had shed a load of crude into the sea, and you could find globular crap still washed up on the beaches.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #18 on: Saturday, December 1, 2012, 12:14:30 »

Milford Haven = a few pubs and old people.

You'd probably love it Reg.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, December 1, 2012, 12:36:17 »

Milford Haven = a few pubs and old people.

You'd probably love it Reg.

Yep...apart from them being Welsh, which would make things difficult.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, December 1, 2012, 20:26:41 »

One of my sons lives there and we were there in September.  It's a great city.  If the weather's OK ( a bit unlikely!!) try to get a boat trip around the city's waterways.  If it's cold it will be really cold and the water will ice over.... There is a brilliant daily ferry to Helsinki, which we really liked - you go overnight, have the day in Helsinki and then return overnight again....the evening buffet is amazing....set price for as much as you can eat and drink!!!  I disagree with whoever said it is spectacular countryside - certainly around Stockholm.  Once you've done water and trees, there's not a lot else!!  It IS expensive....but the food is excellent.
Hexagon

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, December 1, 2012, 23:38:25 »

One of my sons lives there and we were there in September.  It's a great city.  If the weather's OK ( a bit unlikely!!) try to get a boat trip around the city's waterways.  If it's cold it will be really cold and the water will ice over.... There is a brilliant daily ferry to Helsinki, which we really liked - you go overnight, have the day in Helsinki and then return overnight again....the evening buffet is amazing....set price for as much as you can eat and drink!!!  I disagree with whoever said it is spectacular countryside - certainly around Stockholm.  Once you've done water and trees, there's not a lot else!!  It IS expensive....but the food is excellent.

I'll be doing it the opposite way round in a couple of weeks. The two overnight trips on the ferry are always good fun!

Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 02:35:33 »

Anyone been to Skokholm?  It's a small island off the Pembroke coast, near to Skomer.  Been to Caldey, which is a bit more civilised and inhabited.

When I was staying in Merthyr a few weeks back, whilst visiting the Brecon Beacons, I caught a programme about Skokholm on ITV Wales. Episodes 3, 4, 5 and 6 are linked to below:

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/story/2012-09-21/dream-island-2012/#dream-island-episode-3_95679
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: