Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shrewsbury Preview - Opposing View - Betting preview  (Read 6405 times)
SwindonTownFans

Ignore
« on: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 16:16:16 »

A jam-packed preview of Swindon’s game at Shrewsbury this Saturday is at your disposal....The preview includes a look back to our most recent clash with the Shrews, the key information you will need if you are travelling to Shropshire this weekend, the ‘Opposing View’ with Salop fan Sam Morris and the all important betting preview...

http://stfcfans.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-shrewsbury-preview-npower-league-one.html

Join the STFC Fans' Facebook page: www.facebook.com/theswindontown

Visit our Blog: www.stfcfans.blogspot.co.uk/

Follow us on Twitter: @SwindonTownFans, @RW_Sharpe, @olliehowitt
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 08:55:14 »

Another short preview from the shrewschat forum.

The first of two tough games against fancied sides in League 1 sees Town host last seasons League 2 Champions Swindon Town.

Moneybags Swindon spent a King's ransom in winning the League 2 title last season and are clearly pushing the boat out financially this season too with several eye catching summer additions which the majority of clubs in the division couldn't hope to have signed. Whilst many seem only too happy to heap plaudits on Paolo Di Canio for me he remains very much unproven as a manager, his achievements last season in the context of what they threw at it financially prove little such was the advantage he had over his competitors and it's a similar story this season. The pressure is clearly on Di Canio to deliver again this season so it will be interesting to see how his highly suspect temperament and questionable man management abilities stand up to the test ahead.

I think it's fair to say there is plenty of tension around between the two clubs going into this game and not a great deal of love lost. This being down to the very controversial nature of our defeat at the County Ground last season, the saga of the James Collins transfer, Collins' comments soon after joining Swindon and most recently the tribunal ruling over his transfer. Having beaten Swindon at the Meadow last season and been robbed at the County Ground we proved to be more than a match for them last season with their huge financial advantage eventually only worth an extra five points. Whether we can still hold our own against them given their summer transfer activity remains to be seen but it is clearly a tough ask.

Swindon were in League Cup action in midweek, defeating Championship Burnley at the County Ground, so hopefully that game will have taken something out of them. They have also had a habit of throwing in 'after the Lord Mayors show' style performances following recent cup exploits so hopefully that is a trend which will continue on Saturday.

Graham Turner has yet to strengthen his squad further in the loan market but he has distributed details of some of his players who are available to go out on loan. This could indicate some imminent activity to freshen up a Town squad who have yet to really come to terms with life in League 1, particularly defensively where we have only kept one clean sheet to date. That must be a concern for the gaffer who likes to build his sides on defensive solidity as much as on attacking prowess. Barring injuries or late transfer activity changes from the last two games look unlikely.

Given we are making two very tough trips to Brentford and Doncaster next week we could really do with taking all three points from this game, otherwise we may find ourselves in and around the relegation positions come the day of the big televised derby game against Walsall.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kerry red

« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 09:12:51 »

Well, if the only pre-requisite for promotion is for a club to throw money at it, how come Bornmuff are absolute dog shite?

All this knocking of PdC's managerial ability being lessened by the money spent is overshadowing just what he has done for the club as whole.

He has installed pride and passion back into the club from players through to supporters.

People believe
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 09:16:17 »

It does indeed take a lot more than just throwing money at players, many teams have tried this and failed.

Bradford did it a couple of years ago, Boremuff doing it this year etc etc it takes good management and leadership skills as well.

Look at Lee Clark at 'Udders who never managed it after spending millions.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 09:21:20 »

Not a lot of love lost from them to us maybe, I can't say I have any ill will for Shrewsbury whatsoever. Probably doesn't help that I couldn't point to it on a map though.
kerry red

« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 09:22:35 »

And Lee Clarke is doing a sterling job of getting Birmingham relegated from the Championship as well
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 09:54:21 »

Nice to read an unbiased and two eyed match preview from the slop fan there. 
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 09:57:25 »

Hahaha, they always make me chuckle.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 11:23:11 »

Just 5 points? That is 5 points that said we were the champions and they were not.

Looking forward to travelling up for this one, I have no ill feeling towards them either, but I do hope we trounce them.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 11:33:18 »

In a way I can see what they are getting at. A club our size was out of position in league 2, not so in league 1. So lets see how he does now we are back in our traditionally more natural habitat.

What the article doesn't mention in we didn't just have a league title to our name, but also a Wembley outing and several higher league scalps. We didn't buy those. We earned them.

So I suppose PDC is unproven in some regards. And he will be tested if we really do hit a bad run of form. And judged on how we do this season and next.

BUT he can hardly have done much more on the path to proving himself as a good if unconventional manager. I may not agree with all of his methods, but once the dust settled I could see if we'd have done it the same way as we always had then its a bit insane to think anything would change for us. Unlike Shrewsbury, who will do what they have always done and eventually return back to whence they came.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 28, 2012, 11:35:11 by Batch » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 11:49:13 »

So, can you see us becoming something of a Reading?

Their natural home, until recently, was the same as ours. Now they seem well established higher up the pyramid.

If we do get there again - can we stay there (with or without PdC)
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 11:56:55 »

Another shit jealous club. We're going to be coming up against more of these in the future.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 12:01:20 »

Moneybags Swindon spent a King's ransom in winning the League 2 title last season and are clearly pushing the boat out financially this season too with several eye catching summer additions which the majority of clubs in the division couldn't hope to have signed

That sentence takes some getting used to, in terms of it appreciating that it applies to us given the...er...financial constraints we've had in the past. That said, Shrewsbury like many other clubs seem to forget that there was a wage cap in League 2, which funnily enough applied to all clubs...

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 16:37:48 »

So, can you see us becoming something of a Reading?

I'd love to match Reading's achievements, but it will be very difficult. The infrastructure isn't there..yet. And I don't think we'll ever have something as "impressive" as the Madstad.

But sustainable championship football is the aim...Too early to tell just yet whether we can achieve it without more investment (outside ground redevelopment)..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 16:53:54 »

I'd love to match Reading's achievements, but it will be very difficult. The infrastructure isn't there..yet. And I don't think we'll ever have something as "impressive" as the Madstad.

But sustainable championship football is the aim...Too early to tell just yet whether we can achieve it without more investment (outside ground redevelopment)..

I've argued before about how difficult it is to make the transition from small to medium club as Reading have done. It wont happen for us without an impressive redevelopment....the forthcoming game v Villa shows the reason, I know plenty of fellas at work, who are football fans who live in Swindon.  They're keen to go to this one en bloc, but suspect they wont get tickets. These are the sort who could be become regulars, if not diehard fans....fellas with a bit of money who'd take a box etc..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: