Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread  (Read 88112 times)
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: Sunday, December 16, 2012, 16:43:32 »

I'd say Ian Bell is the worst batsman in the England team at the moment.

The thing with Bell is he never looks massively out of form.  England are not due to tour the sub continent for a fair while now so he wont be exposed to spin on turning surfaces so much. 

The quality of spinners around the world isnt much to write home about anyway (Swann and Ajmal excepted).

Looking forward to the 2 T20's and the 5 one dayers after christmas.  Hopefully England will have learnt something from the 5-0 defeat in the one day series last year.  Big series for Kieswetter.  Also will be interesting to see how England re integrate KP.  Bell made a couple of hundreds opening in KP's absense in the summer and so probably deserves to carry on opening so maybe KP will come in 3 or 4?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #616 on: Monday, December 17, 2012, 08:00:23 »

Bell playing solidly today, which is excellent. Don't personally think it undoes all of my concerns, but would be nice to end the series with every batsman having contributed.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 17, 2012, 08:05:32 by Nemo » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: Monday, December 17, 2012, 10:01:13 »

And it's a draw and England win the series, magnificent since the rather unfortunate first test.

Cook tops the averages with 562 runs at 80 (Root is nominally on 93 but only played one test with a not out) with KP, Prior and, at the last, Trott and Bell all going over 40.

Bowling wise, Swanny took 20 at 24, Panesar 17 at 26 and Anderson 12 at 30. Bresnan wicket-less in two tests.

On the Indian side, rather grim, Pujara excepted, only Gambhir over 40 from the rest of the top 6. SRT 76 runs in the entire series. Ashwin was the second best batsman, but rather unfortunately took his wickets at 52.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: Monday, December 17, 2012, 10:36:29 »

Fantastic series win for England, they have outplayed India in the last 3 test matches and it is a credit to them to come back from 1-0 down! 1st India home test series defeat since 04 and 1st time they have lost at home when 1-0 up since 84 I think I read somewhere?! Cook awesome throughout and probably would have made a few more in this test had he not been given out twice by the umpire for dodgy lbw and 'nicking off'...! Swann/Panesar really outbowled their Indian spin counterparts and Jimmy was excellent in the last 2 test matches! Good to see Trott/Bell score 100s, Joe Root looks a real find and one to watch, Compton looked steady, KP is an enigma looks world class at times but so frustrating at others-really pleased to see him back in the England team though, Prior solid as always both with bat and gloves and a word for the others like Finn and Patel who also contributed in the series! Bresnan and Broad struggled with the ball, but overall we had enough in the end!

Big questions for India, and the 'older guard', but I think the ODI series will be a lot closer contested than it was a year ago!

#VivaKenBarlow!
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: Monday, December 17, 2012, 13:04:05 »

It's been a great tour of india, after the first test I was considering missing the last one but the fightback from England was superb.  As said above every player apart from broad and bresnan has done a great job on this tour and Cook lead from the front.  Only a few more.days left then back to chilly Blighty...
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: Thursday, December 20, 2012, 15:15:40 »

1st T20. England got 157-6.  Which looks a bit short on a belter but never know.

Good knocks by Hales and Buttler.  Injection of youth showing in the Indian fielding being 10 times better than we saw in the tests.
kerry red

« Reply #621 on: Thursday, December 20, 2012, 15:22:29 »

Mind you, shite England bowling aint going to help
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #622 on: Sunday, December 23, 2012, 03:07:16 »

So t20 series tied 1-1 each, which I'd say was a fair reflection over the 2 games! I think England have a few big players to come back in for the ODIs in January and I can see them shading it over the series! 2012 has been a mixed year for England but good to sign off with a victory! Losing in the UAE to Pakistan, drawing with Sri Lanka, beating WI and losing to South Africa at home before winning in India under new captain Cook...a big 2013 ahead with 2x ashes series and the ICC Champions Trophy to name a few!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #623 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 11:30:09 »

Two bits of overnight cricket news ....

First up the passing of tony greig from a heart attack. The former England captain and now respected pundit who most famously announced his intent to make the famous West Indies side of the 80's grovel.

RIP Greigy

Next up news from down under that the New Years test will be mike husseys last. Englands quest for back to back ashes just got easier. Michael Clarke apart an Aussie top 7 that should have jimmy and finny licking their lips!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #624 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 12:53:51 »

RIP Tony Greig.

Probably the man who got me into watching cricket years back with his determination to win.
Good all rounder.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #625 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 15:01:40 »

RIP Tony Greig, a South African who captained England and supported Australia! Don't think you'll get that again!

Mike Hussey retiring will help England massively, Mr Cricket was one of the only Aussie's I enjoyed watching and he'll be a big miss in their middle order!

#VivaKenBarlow!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #626 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2013, 11:30:39 »

Christopher Martin-Jenkins died this morning, sad news
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #627 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2013, 11:57:05 »

A bad week for cricket commentators. Very sad to hear about CMJ in particular but by the sounds of it he was suffering a lot towards the end.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2013, 13:57:17 »

Shocking! Crap start to 2013. RIP CMJ.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2013, 14:16:44 »

2 sad losses from the cricketing world in the last week. RIP

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: