Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread  (Read 85728 times)
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 10:46:04 »

So with the Summer over, and with a fair amount of cricket ahead, it's only right to start a new 'seasonal' cricket thread (Yes it's Autumn, but cricket only recognises Summer and Winter series')

The ICC World t20 fast is approaching (starts today) and England are away to India and New Zealand before The Ashes at home next summer!

Predictions? I can see England making the super 8 stage of the t20 and losing away to India, before beating New Zealand.

#VivaKenBarlow!
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 11:01:04 »

Looking forward to it all!Love a bit of winter cricket.Its always dark and freezing cold here but your sat at 5am watching or listening to the cricket in a country where its boiling and sunny.Plus with the baby i have the excuse to watch it,i've not got work during the week  Cheesy

Unhappy at all the kp stuff.Just all round depressing really.  Sad

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 11:06:27 »

Can my winter cricket posts in the summer cricket thread from today be moved across?
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 11:11:09 »

Can my winter cricket posts in the summer cricket thread from today be moved across?

N....Yes bring them on in, make the transfer!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 11:25:14 »

My initial offering ..

Maybe we need to begin a 'winter of cricket' thread but ....

England test squad for India named in an hour ... It looks like ....

Joe Root and Nick Compton will be named in it.  Also Monty Panesar will miss out.  Monty's ommision is an odd one as it must be down to the lack of trust in his fielding as he is by a country mile the 2nd best spinner in the country.  So it appears in the test series Swann will be back up by a bit of left arm twirl from Samit Patel with Tredwell in reserve.

Also T20 world cup starts tomorrow will about as open a field as I can remember. 

As much as I want India to win the bowling is dross so the batting against most decents sides will have to make in excess of 180 just to be in the game.

Pakistan are the other way around.  Great bowling especially Ajmal but will they make enough runs? 

I do like Sri Lanka especially with Malinga.

West Indies are my wildcard.  With Gayle and Pollard they xcould turn a game in seconds but dont fancy the bowling much.

England as defending champions .... Good unit.  Much will depend on how Morgan/Buttler/Bairstow play the spinners during the middle/late overs.

I think the Aussies have no hope (So lump on them)

Saffers are good, but I cant bring myself to back them!

Also Englands opener is on Friday v Afghanistan.  They aint bad.  The batting is dodgy especially against extreme pace but they have a decent bowling attack with a mix of slow bowlers potentially suited to the Sri Lankan pitches.  Either way they are a great story and I expect them to be better than Bangladesh in most formats in due course
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 13:15:06 »

My predicted team for the 1st test:

Cook
Root
Trott
Bell
Morgan
Bairstow
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Panesar

More likely they will leave out Monty and include Patel and go down the strengthen the batting option.  May even consider bumping Prior up to 6 and leaving out one of Morgan/Bairstow.  But think for first test they will want to make the batting as long as possible.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 14:37:48 »

India v Afghanistan in the T20 World cup!

Really promising start by the Afghans.  A couple of sharp quicks and have India 41/2 after 7.

Wonder what the battings like??
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 14:41:46 »

Industrial on the few occasions I've seen them, Sadiq & the keeper are both good at the old tonking.

Would like to see one or two upsets and the Afghans look the most likely.
DMR

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 14:45:03 »

My predicted team for the 1st test:

Cook
Root
Trott
Bell
Morgan
Bairstow
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Panesar

More likely they will leave out Monty and include Patel and go down the strengthen the batting option.  May even consider bumping Prior up to 6 and leaving out one of Morgan/Bairstow.  But think for first test they will want to make the batting as long as possible.

Cook
Compton
Trott
Bell
Morgan
Prior
Patel
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Thats my gut feeling. They will need 3 seamers to shoulder the load. I wouldn't pick Patel or Bres mind.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 14:51:00 »

Predicted: Cook, Root, Trott, Bell, Bairstow, Prior, Patel, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn

Whereas I'd pick:

Cook, Bell, Trott, Compton, Bairstow, Prior, Broad, Swann, Finn, Anderson, Panesar

Easiest time to score in India is against the new ball, two slow openers is just throwing away free runs against India's excuse for a seam attack.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 15:24:02 »

I reckon Morgans apparant expertise against spin will make the selectors desperate to have him in.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 15:35:07 »

I reckon Morgans apparant expertise against spin will make the selectors desperate to have him in.

Maybe not after his performance against Pakistan last winter. 82 runs in 3 Tests at an average of 13.66. 5 of his 6 dismissals to spinners. Dropped for subsequent Sri Lanka series.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 15:36:09 »

I figured that was sarcasm after his efforts against Ajmal. Not that any of the Indian spinners are in his class.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 15:46:13 »

I figured that was sarcasm after his efforts against Ajmal. Not that any of the Indian spinners are in his class.

To an extent.

None of the England batsmen covered themselves in glory in Pakistan and Morgan went largely as he was the last one in, and the England management had to get rid of someone.  You could have made a case for any of the top 6 to have been shifted.

Whilst the pitches are certain to turn and India will go with 2 spinners most likely Ashwin and Ohja.  Neither are in Ajmal's league.

They could also look at the one day series played in India last year where numerous English batsmen got themselves into a right pickle!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 18:37:35 »

It looks great to have the name Compton in an England side. On the few occasions I've seen him play he has looked very good, but that it is at Taunton, and I think I could bat on that track, and I didn't break double figures with the bat all season.

I've not seen Root. What do people think of him? I wonder if, at 21, he is going for the experience, with one eye on the future, but then he is the only addition who opens in first class cricket, so he may be straight in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: