Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread  (Read 88087 times)
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 16:43:23 »

According to the ICC test rankings, we've got 5 batsmen in the top 20. India have only got 1 and the best any other country has is 3. So they should be more than capable of scoring enough runs without having to rely too much on the tail.

This should really happen on paper but sadly it doesn't what with different conditions and different bowlers bowling better to different conditions. At home I'd back any England batsman, but away on these type of pitches anything can happen and we really struggle to adapt to slow, turning pitches. As Jonny says we should be more than capable of scoring runs but for some reason we can't without having some collapse away from home (Think this test, Pakistan in UAE, Sri Lanka and for those who remember the 1st test away in The Ashes 2010)

I would bring in Panesar and think that much is a given now, I'd bring in Bairstow for Bell.

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 18:34:49 »

I don't understand the fascination with Pietersen. He has to be the worst batsman in the England team! Totally panicked in the first test. Can't play spin. No technique but can club the ball. Suggest that if he is picked it is in the number 6 or 7 position up against Patel.

I would love to go for:

Cook
Compton (Got to persist with him now)
Trott (Will forgive him one bad game)
Morgan (Left and right hand mixes)
Prior (He needs to move up the order)
Bairstow
Pietersen/Patel (Neither are good enough spinners. Dropping Pietersen down the order would send a message!)
Broad (Cos he can be a workhorse and bat a bit)
Swann
Finn (There will be no swing for Andersen and Finn makes things happen)
Panesar

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
DMR

« Reply #407 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 10:31:31 »

Each to their own but anyone who thinks KP should bat at 7 is fucking mental
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 10:50:48 »

Has Broad made any significant runs since his infamous hundred in that test match against Pakistan at Lords?
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 11:09:24 »

Has Broad made any significant runs since his infamous hundred in that test match against Pakistan at Lords?

4 50's in 25 innings, average a bit over 23. Not terrible for a number 8. Not as strong batting overseas certainly, but he's hardly alone in that respect.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 11:15:08 »

Meanwhile, Bangladesh #10 Abul Hasan has scored a hundred on test debut, having only played 6 first class matches up until this point.

It'd be fair to say I don't think he'll bat that far down again for a while.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 16:08:29 »

Each to their own but anyone who thinks KP should bat at 7 is fucking mental
Thanks for that. But please refer to me properly. I am a fucking mental L2 ECB cricket coach. What cricket qualifications do you have?

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 16:10:20 »

More than Anderson and Bresnan. With the wickets not suiting any of them, none of them are likely to be match winners in their own right. So play them in the same roles as Yadav and then add a bit more in the batting department being as we are so frail.

fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 16:34:07 »

Thanks for that. But please refer to me properly. I am a fucking mental L2 ECB cricket coach. What cricket qualifications do you have?

In all fairness, from the team you suggested I think coming to the conclusion your mental was almost sensible.

The difference between Yadav and any of the three England seamers was sheer pace.  Broad in particular seems to get more pedestrain by the series.  As for Big Bres, there was one ball in the first test I think he almost overtook in his follow through!
DMR

« Reply #414 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 16:56:49 »

What the fuck has that got to do with anything? So am I, for what it's worth, I also captain a league side in the WEPL structure and coach our U9s... next question...?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 20:00:12 »

In all fairness, from the team you suggested I think coming to the conclusion your mental was almost sensible.

The difference between Yadav and any of the three England seamers was sheer pace.  Broad in particular seems to get more pedestrain by the series.  As for Big Bres, there was one ball in the first test I think he almost overtook in his follow through!
So, on the seam bowling front the choices appear to be:
Finn - Who is fast and seems to be able to get the odd bit of movement now and again. He's a strike bowler who goes for a few. He bats and 10 or 11.
Broad - Medium fast who can be a bit sharpish and get the ball to move around when he wants to. Seems to have gone off the boil for the last 12 months. Seems to have good spells amongst some average ones. Can bat at 7 or 8.
Bresnan - Medium fast. Bowls from too wide of the crease and slants it down leg. Not a strike bowler. Can bat at 7 or 8.
Anderson - Fast medium. Excellent in English conditions. Moves the ball both ways. Lost the battle with Steyn imho in England to prove he was the best. Excellent fielder, although his standards seem to have slipped. Good night watchman against seam bowling, otherwise a number 10 or 11.

I would want to play 2 spinners - Panesar and Swann. That leaves room for 2/3 other bowlers. For me, Bresnan would be the first to go. I would like to pick Finn, because I think that his pace (even on a slow wicket) could be an asset - Although I think you would want him to bowl in short bursts. I thought Anderson looked ineffective in the first test, so my preference would be to go with Broad as the second seamer.

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 20:37:11 »

I don't understand the fascination with Pietersen. He has to be the worst batsman in the England team! Totally panicked in the first test. Can't play spin. No technique but can club the ball. Suggest that if he is picked it is in the number 6 or 7 position up against Patel.

I would love to go for:

Cook
Compton (Got to persist with him now)
Trott (Will forgive him one bad game)
Morgan (Left and right hand mixes)
Prior (He needs to move up the order)
Bairstow
Pietersen/Patel (Neither are good enough spinners. Dropping Pietersen down the order would send a message!)
Swann
Finn (There will be no swing for Andersen and Finn makes things happen)
Panesar

Anderson is almost certainly the first name on the sheet.........his fielding is exceptional as well.

Broad needs to buckle down a bit....at batting he flatters,looks brilliant then does something silly.
Also his attitude and twitter account is getting tiresome......why the hell Onions is on this tour baffles me also.

Pick the same team and bring Monty in for Bresnan and Morgan for Bell.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 20:46:06 »

What the fuck has that got to do with anything? So am I, for what it's worth, I also captain a league side in the WEPL structure and coach our U9s... next question...?
I don't have any more questions thank you. You asserted that I didn't know what I was talking about - But I do.

The thing about Pietersen is that I don't believe that he is 'that good'. I don't think you can rely on him, which is what I think you need at the top of the order. His technique is flawed, which means that he doesn't have the ability to consistently score runs. He can be devastatingly brutal when he gets it right, but I can't see him doing that in India. I'd be happier to take the risk if he batted down the order.

Morgan is also flawed, which is why he is successful in the shorter form of the game rather than in Test matches. However, I believe that he has the mindset and ability to improve. I also like the thought of mixing right and left handers, because no matter what level you play at, its always a pain to bowl against both.

Prior is going through a form period. There is also the fact that India don't have bowlers to expose his technical flaw chasing wide balls outside his off stump. I'd therefore capitalise and push him up the order.

Bairstow is an exciting talent. I think putting him in Bell's place gives a bit too much pressure. I would like to develop him as soon as possible in the middle order. But the problem that England have is there is not a lot of solidity in the batting line up. Maybe having a senior pro like Pietersen coming in behind him might help relieve a bit of pressure?

Also, the bit about sending Pietersen a message, meant that I think Pietersen would be angry at being dropped down the order, which might motivate him the show everyone what he is capable of.

Anyway, at the end of the day, opinions are like arse holes - Everyone has one.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 20:48:14 »

Anderson is almost certainly the first name on the sheet.........his fielding is exceptional as well.

Broad needs to buckle down a bit....at batting he flatters,looks brilliant then does something silly.
Also his attitude and twitter account is getting tiresome......why the hell Onions is on this tour baffles me also.

Pick the same team and bring Monty in for Bresnan and Morgan for Bell.
His fielding wasn't that great in the first test. But I do think he has been England's best bowler in the last few years. Conditions aren't great for him. So why burn him out?

gingernuggets

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Thursday, November 22, 2012, 07:01:39 »

What a fucking score by the Aussies to wake up to!

441/4 with 10 more overs in the day - unbelievable! Clarke about to get his double ton on the first day.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: