Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Orange/T-Mobile To Launch 4G September 11th 2012...  (Read 7820 times)
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 16:42:10 »

... and will re-brand the 2 networks as Everything, Everywhere during October. Any of you geeks out there know if my iPhone 4s can support this new technology or as I suspect, is it a cunning ploy to encourage people to upgrade to the iPhone 5 which by amazing coincidence launches the same month?  Hmmm
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 16:51:02 »

4s won't have it.

pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 16:52:30 »

But your internet speeds will still be faster than it is now. But not to the 4G/LTE extent

jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 17:29:23 »

iPhone 4/4S do not have any LTE/4G support.

The iPhone 5 might but it depends on the baseband chip that Apple use in it. The chip in the iPad 3 doesn't support the UK LTE frequencies so if they use the same in the iPhone 5 then it won't work in the UK. Chances are that it will use a new baseband chip with support for more frequencies, including those in use in the UK.

All a bit pointless though as even if you do get LTE, with the tiny allowances the UK networks give you'd go through it in no time at all. Don't think it's much more than a marketing gimmick at present.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 20:34:41 by jonny72 » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 18:38:14 »

Interesting....lte license auctions haven't even happened yet so I wonder how they are providing "4g"?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 18:54:02 »

Interesting....lte license auctions haven't even happened yet so I wonder how they are providing "4g"?

They're re-allocating some of their existing network.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 19:42:21 »

They're re-allocating some of their existing network.

Cheers, ill take a look when I get home.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 21:17:14 »

Aha, LTE @ 1.8Ghz.  Wonder if we have any tri-bands dongles kicking around at work for LTE band 3 (assuming it is band 3) Smiley
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 22:08:45 »

How long until it's over subscribed and shit like 3G?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 08:00:53 »

Depends how expensive they make it Barry!

And also how much coverage will be provided. Don't know if the existing (spare) 3g nodeB base stations are upgradeable to eNodeB bas stations in order to run LTE - its not impossible but IF it needs new equipment then who knows where and how quickly service will be provided. They are providing continued 3G service so its not like they can turn off existing equipment.

I reckon a year or two before it really kicks off as people won't be chucking their latest Android handsets in the bin...unless the networks make it financially attractive to do so. Which they will, but since Voda and O2 can't enter the market yet there won't be much competition or insentive.

I'd also be wary of buying an expensive handset that is locked to 1800Mhz unless you are convinced you won't switch networks, voda and O2 will use a different part of the spectrum (800Mhz). If a handset doesn't support both you will be unable to use it on an 800Mhz network. Mind you, people upgrade handsets pretty frequently these days so maybe its not so important.
Barry Scott

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 09:23:05 »

To be honest it doesn't affect me. I only stumbled into the world of the smart phone last year and I as I hate social shit, I struggle to use my 100mb a month allowance.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 09:54:41 »

[bold] Has Everything Everywhere already won the iPhone 5 race?[/bold]

Vodafone is angry at Ofcom for doing the unthinkable: trying to let UK consumers get 4G. "How dare a phone network actually deliver next generation broadband!" I imagine them saying.

"Network operators are supposed to be in the threatening-Ofcom and delaying-4G business!"

I'm being a little bit unfair, but only a little: one of the main reasons pretty much everybody in the world has 4G apart from us is that our 4G process has been delayed, delayed a bit more and then delayed a bit more after that by networks shouting at each other and at Ofcom.

However, Vodafone's clearly angry and it's easy to see why: while the other networks won't have 4G licences until next year, assuming the spectrum auction isn't delayed further, Everything Everywhere gets the green light on 11 September (though 4G won't actually be with us from that date).

And guess what's probably being announced on 12 September?

Here's a clue: it rhymes with "skyphone" - and it'll probably be 4G.

The famous 5

Ofcom reckons that letting EE out of the 4G gates early won't affect anybody else, but I'm not so sure: if the iPhone 5 has 4G LTE, which most people reckon it will, then there will only be one network where you can get the most from the device.

I doubt Apple would sign an exclusive deal with Everything Everywhere - it likes selling iPhones too much to want to do that - but I don't see Apple taking LTE out of its Euro iPhones just to keep the UK operators happy either. As we've already seen with the iPad, Apple doesn't mind selling technology that the UK networks don't currently support.

That could be bad news for Everything Everywhere's rivals, because while they'll be selling the same iPhones they won't be selling the same experience. While Everything Everywhere won't have a national 4G network on day one, it'll still be able to offer 4G to lots of people long before its rivals can. No wonder it's delighted.

I think that will make a difference. 4G isn't like visual voicemail, a nice enough feature that you can manage perfectly well without; it's a really big deal, especially for the sort of people who'll happily drop a few hundred quid on an upgrade while signing up for a stupidly expensive data plan. Who's going to spend all that on an iPhone 5 that doesn't work properly?

Courtesy of Gary Marshall, Techradar
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 13:53:36 »

Sorry for slightly redirecting the thread but what are Orange/TMobile like for coverage these days? My Voda contract ran out in June and I'm fed up with the poor/no signal in some areas, largely on my journey to/from work (Swindon->Brizzle via M4/M32) but also periodically around Swindon. Including my own kitchen. So was thinking of moving to O2 but the 4G thing got me thinking plus I know Orange used to be not great for coverage outside major towns but was wondering if now they've combined with TMobile if they've got better coverage or did they just basically overlap each other? Anyone any experience using O2/Orange/TMobile between Swindon->Brizzle?
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 14:50:19 »

What's Paul's post got to do with di Canio?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 15:24:53 »

What's Paul's post got to do with di Canio?
It's his fault I get blank spots on the M4/M32. The bastard
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: