Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737394 times)
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2490 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2017, 19:38:15 »

I'm beginning to realise that modern-day cyclists are just gamer-geeks that feel they need to get out more. It's not working chaps.
Wha?

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2491 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2017, 19:39:58 »

So chaps...........Lets talk rubber.

I need to change the tyres on my old Trek road bike that I use for commuting and winter riding. I have some really old 23mm Conti Gatorskins which have been excellent but compared to my other bike which is running 25mm GP4000s the ride comfort is nowhere near as good.

So, what do I change to - some more GP4000s, 4 Season or move away from Conti and go for some Schwalbe ??

And do you think it really makes a lot of difference what make ? Are punctures just one of those things that will happen regardless ?

I run Schwalbe One's on my best bike and some cheap kevlar lined lifeline tyres on the winter jobber.
Punctures will happen regardless, enjoy the ride of One's...they're ace

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2492 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2017, 20:34:04 »

Wha?

Or petrolheads who've belatedly developed a conscience.   Wink

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #2493 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2017, 22:19:34 »

So chaps...........Lets talk rubber.

I need to change the tyres on my old Trek road bike that I use for commuting and winter riding. I have some really old 23mm Conti Gatorskins which have been excellent but compared to my other bike which is running 25mm GP4000s the ride comfort is nowhere near as good.

So, what do I change to - some more GP4000s, 4 Season or move away from Conti and go for some Schwalbe ??

And do you think it really makes a lot of difference what make ? Are punctures just one of those things that will happen regardless ?

Schwalbe Marathons for sure

Ive had them on my commuting Boardman CX for two years and no punctures
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #2494 on: Wednesday, August 9, 2017, 08:21:05 »

I'm beginning to realise that modern-day cyclists are just gamer-geeks that feel they need to get out more. It's not working chaps.

I have no idea what you are on about.

I run Schwalbe One's on my best bike and some cheap kevlar lined lifeline tyres on the winter jobber.
Punctures will happen regardless, enjoy the ride of One's...they're ace

There seems to be quite a few different versions of the One.

Schwalbe Marathons for sure

Aren't they notoriously difficult to get on and off ? Not sure they'd fit a road bike with rim brakes ?
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #2495 on: Wednesday, August 9, 2017, 20:15:37 »

well, you only have to get them on once, as they don't puncture !

Not sure about the rim brakes, as I have discs
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #2496 on: Wednesday, August 9, 2017, 20:18:16 »

Out of interest has anybody on here ever done LEJOG/JOGLE?

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #2497 on: Wednesday, August 9, 2017, 21:23:06 »

Lejog, start of August 2010. Rained every day.

Did it over 10 days, staying in B&Bs, with a support car - we had it easy. Planning to do a Jogle reunion in 2020, hopefully over fewer days.

A rite of passage for a British cyclist. Do it, you won't regret it even if it rains every day for you too.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2498 on: Thursday, August 10, 2017, 05:35:27 »

Quote from: FreddySTFC!

a guy at work did his share of 200km lead duty as help to a group going lejog last weekend. Said a few of the group have dropped out!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2499 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 14:45:38 »

Good to see the comic make it into the national news....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-41122033
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2500 on: Saturday, September 2, 2017, 09:44:15 »

Amateur hour for cycling news that

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2501 on: Friday, September 22, 2017, 17:35:14 »

Aside from the potential accusation of being very knee-jerk: does anyone have an issue with the proposed new laws for all those bloody people on bikes harming other people?

taking a wide birth from the comparison of cyclists vs vehicular injuries....my tuppence:
If i'm unlucky enough to be in that position where I've injured someone (other than myself) due to my cycling i'd say it's fair i should be prosecuted as any other road user would be, and they shouldn't have to find a victorian law to nail me.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 22, 2017, 18:09:15 by bennett » Logged

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2502 on: Friday, September 22, 2017, 17:55:49 »

Aside from the potential accusation of being very knee-jerk: does anyone have an issue with the proposed new laws for all those bloody people on bikes people?

taking a wide birth from the comparison of cyclists vs vehicular injuries....my tuppence:
If i'm unlucky enough to be in that position where I've injured someone (other than myself) due to my cycling i'd say it's fair i should be prosecuted as any other road user would be, and they shouldn't have to find a victorian law to nail me.

Firstly the little prick on the bike deserves everything he got...

I agree that if I cause an accident then I should be held responsible for my actions. However the need to review because its an 'old law' is a complete red herring, see https://thesecretbarrister.com/

Yes road traffic laws need constant review to address changes in road use (a more pressing matter in cycling terms is actually what the fucking hell to do about electric bikes which are considerably quicker and heavier than pedal cycles, are they bikes or motorbikes?)

In terms of the knee jerk response, its a good headline grabber and keeps their ideological steers at the Express and Mail happy, however for comparison 2007-2015, pedestrians killed by cyclists 24, by motorbike 98, by car 1391, by HGV/bus 534. If they honestly were interested in pedestrian safety they would look to why convictions for motor vehicle instances are so low, see the most high profile case http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/delivery-man-cleared-causing-neston-12781152

Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2503 on: Friday, September 22, 2017, 18:09:54 »

Firstly the little prick on the bike deserves everything he got...

I agree that if I cause an accident then I should be held responsible for my actions. However the need to review because its an 'old law' is a complete red herring, see https://thesecretbarrister.com/

Yes road traffic laws need constant review to address changes in road use (a more pressing matter in cycling terms is actually what the fucking hell to do about electric bikes which are considerably quicker and heavier than pedal cycles, are they bikes or motorbikes?)

In terms of the knee jerk response, its a good headline grabber and keeps their ideological steers at the Express and Mail happy, however for comparison 2007-2015, pedestrians killed by cyclists 24, by motorbike 98, by car 1391, by HGV/bus 534. If they honestly were interested in pedestrian safety they would look to why convictions for motor vehicle instances are so low, see the most high profile case http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/delivery-man-cleared-causing-neston-12781152

Agree with all of that, interesting article from the secret barrister too
« Last Edit: Friday, September 22, 2017, 18:16:05 by bennett » Logged

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2504 on: Thursday, October 12, 2017, 18:22:00 »

Gang, I have a cycling conundrum that i need your help with!
I've had two annoyingly similar and bloody "offs", almost a year apart, which have left me with very thin skin on my right knee.
Has anyone had any experience using MTB knee socks or pads for prolonged (3hrs+) pedalling?

Next time i come off and land on my right knee i think it might be curtains
 No

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: