Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 740608 times)
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2475 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 05:12:50 »

No
I baulk at paying £35 for the wiggle sportives

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2476 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 07:19:18 »

I think Flanders Sportive was £40 which included shit loads of food, drink, timing chip and on-line tracking so others could track progress, and a T Shirt at the end.

They are pretty extortionate over here, we looked at Etape Caledonia, who make a big deal that its closed roads, but thats £85. Mate who lives in Scotland pointed out that whilst its a glorious route, the roads are dead apart from in high summer anyway so I think we are just going to go up there one weekend and ride the route off our own back!

Quite fancy doing one round Oxfordshire as the roads are where I rode my mountain bike as a kid and would be interesting to ride them now, and possibly the white roads one on the downs but that's about it. I am not a big fan to be honest as they tend to be highly populated by twats doing stupid things...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #2477 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 09:02:22 »

Pick a route. Post it on here. Then we can have our own TEF sportive for free!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #2478 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 09:10:58 »

I don't mind paying a reasonable fee - you get freebies, food, drink and a medal and you find roads you've never been on. I certainly wouldn't pay a fee to ride the roads around me.

In fact as few years back I came across a wiggle feed station so I stopped and helped myself.  I thought that I had spent enough over the years to justify this theft. The fact that I was traveling in the opposite direction was probably a give away.  Grin
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2479 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 19:29:30 »

Pick a route. Post it on here. Then we can have our own TEF sportive for free!
I've plotted out the route for the wye valley warrior...

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #2480 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 19:38:57 »

I've plotted out the route for the wye valley warrior...
What, this one:

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/13920083

Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2481 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 20:17:19 »

No the 162km one  Too Cool

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #2482 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 20:24:54 »

Look forward to viewing your Strava!
No the 162km one  Too Cool

Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #2483 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 21:58:12 »

I know people are criticising the cost, and that's a fair point.
But........the organisational challenges are enormous, and I think the price was great value.

The organisation was amazing - I was given a start time a month before, of 7.04. I went through the starting gate at 7.04.27, when you have 30k (I think) people cycling, that's amazing.
There were loads of volunteers (free ?), but also loads of normal "event staff" (I assume paid for ?)

Because of the ISIS cunts, every side road for the whole route had security guards sealing it off, presumably to prevent some nutter driving the wrong way in a lorry.

I think the cost to run the event far outweighed what was raised in entry fees.

I routinely pay £25 for a 50 mile sportive, to jostle with cars, and get dogs abuse from drivers, to do 100 miles without cars is worth 10 times that - easily

I would recommend anybody who enjoys cycling to enter the ballot, it's a once in a lifetime event.

(oh......and before you ask 5.38, which is about an hour faster than I was expecting)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #2484 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 22:01:10 »

I know people are criticising the cost, and that's a fair point.
But........the organisational challenges are enormous, and I think the price was great value.

The organisation was amazing - I was given a start time a month before, of 7.04. I went through the starting gate at 7.04.27, when you have 30k (I think) people cycling, that's amazing.
There were loads of volunteers (free ?), but also loads of normal "event staff" (I assume paid for ?)

Because of the ISIS cunts, every side road for the whole route had security guards sealing it off, presumably to prevent some nutter driving the wrong way in a lorry.

I think the cost to run the event far outweighed what was raised in entry fees.

I routinely pay £25 for a 50 mile sportive, to jostle with cars, and get dogs abuse from drivers, to do 100 miles without cars is worth 10 times that - easily

I would recommend anybody who enjoys cycling to enter the ballot, it's a once in a lifetime event.

(oh......and before you ask 5.38, which is about an hour faster than I was expecting)
Have done for the last 3 years...Not successful each time

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2485 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 22:12:46 »

hmm, I choose the croft  MTB track just to piss off the roadies.

mind you my biking powers are so pathetic they're still beat me!
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #2486 on: Thursday, August 3, 2017, 00:02:57 »

Batch - I'm MTB at heart
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2487 on: Thursday, August 3, 2017, 08:33:17 »

Having had the pleasure of following the Tour of Britain in an Official Car and listening to race radio, I suspect its more likely to be British Cunts in Cars ignoring the closed roads and trying to get on the course as the roads should not be shut for a cycling event. I remember on the way into Blackpool there were motorists threatening the NEG security lads trying to enforce the rolling road closure and some old dear came sailing down the closed road towards the peloton, until stopped by a police motorbike!

Have done for the last 3 years...Not successful each time

Likewise.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #2488 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2017, 08:17:26 »

So chaps...........Lets talk rubber.

I need to change the tyres on my old Trek road bike that I use for commuting and winter riding. I have some really old 23mm Conti Gatorskins which have been excellent but compared to my other bike which is running 25mm GP4000s the ride comfort is nowhere near as good.

So, what do I change to - some more GP4000s, 4 Season or move away from Conti and go for some Schwalbe ??

And do you think it really makes a lot of difference what make ? Are punctures just one of those things that will happen regardless ?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2489 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2017, 19:11:23 »

I'm beginning to realise that modern-day cyclists are just gamer-geeks that feel they need to get out more. It's not working chaps.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: