Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737369 times)
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1785 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2015, 22:35:28 »

I've got a communal bike share here, so I don't think my household cover will extend to that (guess I could call them). But was thinking of covering both bikes, juuuuust in case.

Also, I'm doing this on Sunday if anyone fancies coming along and being social
http://www.performancecycles.co.uk/mini/

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #1786 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2015, 23:01:46 »

Are you in Swindon NTNIIH?

I'll keep an eye on the for sale:Swindon FB group just in case the thieves are really dumb. Sounds more like a proper job to me though.

No I'm in Hertford, but Thanks anyway
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #1787 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2015, 23:03:44 »

My bikes were specifically named in my house insurance, with a value.

Trouble is they won't pay over that for the accessories, so if you do the same, add a bit on the value to cover your pedals and lights etc
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1788 on: Tuesday, February 3, 2015, 20:13:33 »

Nearly witnessed a dead cyclist tonight. Fucking imbecile sailing through a red light without a care in the world, car came through the lights around the corner literally a second after they had gone past. Very lucky. No surprise the cyclists killed in London sadly.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1789 on: Thursday, February 5, 2015, 10:25:08 »

Neither myself nor three mates got a place in the Ride London ballot, and then to add insult to injury they send you a magazine with a training plan - thanks chaps!

We are now looking at other options (including possibly doing London to Paris (on our own for charity) next year - however has anyone done the below - is it an absolute bitch!

http://southernsportive.com/?go=gwestern&eventid=150517&page=routes
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #1790 on: Thursday, February 5, 2015, 19:41:36 »

Neither myself nor three mates got a place in the Ride London ballot, and then to add insult to injury they send you a magazine with a training plan - thanks chaps!

We are now looking at other options (including possibly doing London to Paris (on our own for charity) next year - however has anyone done the below - is it an absolute bitch!

http://southernsportive.com/?go=gwestern&eventid=150517&page=routes

I did that a couple of times a few years ago, when it used to run in June. Nice route. Couple of tough climbs in the first half, Hackpen and Snap, then Hatchet Hill towards the end on tired legs can be difficult. Well sign posted, good organisation and a manageable about of riders.

I too missed out on Ride London... three years running. Roll Eyes
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1791 on: Thursday, February 5, 2015, 19:55:21 »

I too missed out on Ride London... three years running. Roll Eyes

Same here.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1792 on: Thursday, February 5, 2015, 20:21:32 »

Same here.

so that's now 6 people I know entered and no one got in!
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #1793 on: Thursday, February 5, 2015, 20:45:44 »

Of the four people I know who entered, one got a place. First time applicant. We already had hotel booked for the weekend, so I'll go down in support role. Last year I was offered a friend's place the day before the event, so might get lucky again.

Anyone on here have any experience of racing? Time trialling doesn't really interest me, but seriously considering getting a licence and giving racing a go. Castle Combe has a regular series through the summer, starting in May. Just don't want to be spat out the back after half a lap.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1794 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 16:01:48 »

Of the four people I know who entered, one got a place. First time applicant. We already had hotel booked for the weekend, so I'll go down in support role. Last year I was offered a friend's place the day before the event, so might get lucky again.

Anyone on here have any experience of racing? Time trialling doesn't really interest me, but seriously considering getting a licence and giving racing a go. Castle Combe has a regular series through the summer, starting in May. Just don't want to be spat out the back after half a lap.

Not raced but watched a few. Knowing a few competitors leads me to believe getting spat out the back is a good learning process.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1795 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 18:27:23 »

If you like tinkering with the bike as I do you might find this guy a good follow

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor-D/151367174964293

and this is cool too

http://www.wimp.com/rideswheelie/
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1796 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 09:54:14 »

Can anyone recommend a universal rear mounted (not towbar) bike carrier? Don't want to spend loads, but want something that will do the job.
Ta  Smiley
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #1797 on: Friday, March 20, 2015, 21:25:42 »

Having not paid too much attention to this thread before, I thought is resurrect it as I've accepted a challenge to cycle from Bath to Swindon via Stonehenge (approx 70 miles). As a novice rider, what advice would you suggest?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1798 on: Friday, March 20, 2015, 22:13:20 »

Having not paid too much attention to this thread before, I thought is resurrect it as I've accepted a challenge to cycle from Bath to Swindon via Stonehenge (approx 70 miles). As a novice rider, what advice would you suggest?

Pick your route carefully, I was on the 303 at Stonehenge today and I wouldn't cycle it.  But 70 is a tidy distance, for a novice, so you want to do a few rides previous, to work your way up.  If you're starting from nothing, then maybe a 10 miler, 15 miler etc, until you can comfortably do 50....if you can do 50 comfortably, then you should be able to dig deep and enter a world of hurt to find the extra 20.

Then really it's just making sure you keep hydrated and have sources of energy releasing foods....I use things like nanas, figs, dates and Frusli bars.  As a good emergency anti knock, I find butterscotch sweets decent....but these things are personal, and there's trendy stuff on the market, for most of the regulars on this thread.

One slightly silly thing to be aware of, is that if it is sunny even in Feb or March, and your body hasn't seen sun for a while, you can burn, as the same bits of body tend to be exposed for fairly long spells.

And finally, do make sure you carry a bit of a tool kit, puncture repair, spare tubes, that sort of thing, just in case.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1799 on: Saturday, March 21, 2015, 10:43:04 »

Wot Reg sed.
Cannot stress the point of spare tubes (note the plural). Nowt worse than fixing a flat on the back to realise the front is gone as well.

In terms of food - Lidl flapjack for 49p is great. Loads of sugar and carbs.

Mainly enjoy and treat yourself to a pint afterwards

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: