Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737544 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1365 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 21:43:50 »

You can get a 4 series Domane or Madone for £2500- not a full personalised bike but different to stock.

If I was buying a road bike for the UK, I would go for the Domane- designmed for Paris- Roubaix so better on the shitty roads we currently suffer.

Good shout - Chap at work could have got me this years Domane, ultegra shod for £1800 and not the £2100 advertised. Really tempted but most of my bikes have been Treks so wanted something different.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #1366 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 22:03:50 »

I'm sure there's a better equipped Boardman for that money.

But wouldn't appeal to the Raffa crowd
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1367 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 06:56:24 »

Good shout - Chap at work could have got me this years Domane, ultegra shod for £1800 and not the £2100 advertised. Really tempted but most of my bikes have been Treks so wanted something different.

You said earlier that a bit of steel is nice. Genesis do some sweet steel framed road bikes. The Madison Genesis team race on steel frames. Very nice they are too.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1368 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 07:45:47 »

Do you lot not suffer with the crap condition of our roads? Buckled wheels, punctures etc?
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1369 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 07:57:32 »

Do you lot not suffer with the crap condition of our roads? Buckled wheels, punctures etc?

Not if you watch where you are going and develop the ability to bunny hop.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1370 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 08:02:19 »

As Fuzzy said if you are careful you are generally ok but you always get caught out with one or two which is why I have the helium cannisters that I can activate from the drops which makes the bike lighter and less prone to damage.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1371 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 08:09:41 »

All the surface water drains, the areas where the edges of the road have crumbled etc are bad enough in my car or on my mtb. I guess what I am getting at is that although I would like to get a road bike, I think I would soon get cheesed off with the bad road conditions,  the heavy traffic. At least with the mtb there is more choice in where to take it.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1372 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 08:15:27 »

All the surface water drains, the areas where the edges of the road have crumbled etc are bad enough in my car or on my mtb. I guess what I am getting at is that although I would like to get a road bike, I think I would soon get cheesed off with the bad road conditions,  the heavy traffic. At least with the mtb there is more choice in where to take it.

As I said above, if you keep your eyes open, avoiding potholes isn't difficult. Crumbling road edges aren't a problem either- you don't belong in the gutter. Best position to ride on normal roads is about a meter from the kerb/ edge of the road. When approaching pinch points like pedestrian islands, take primary position (middle of the lane) after an over the shoulder/ under the armpit look behind until clear of the pinchpoint.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1373 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 08:16:36 »

You soon get used to dodging potholes and drain covers.

It's the sections of road with 20 year old surfaces with large stone chippings that are the worst. Roads with brand new smooth asphalt are few and far between around here, but when you do find a bit it is very satisfying.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1374 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 08:17:31 »

Good advice. You obviously enjoy it. Might have to look a bit further into it.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1375 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 08:26:01 »

If you do similar routes you get used to where you have to be careful. The advice Fuzzy gives is spot on about positioning - I try to ride in order that cars see me and not tucked into the side on the road.

Gravel seems to be the worst thing as it gets washed onto the roads and on and collects on bends in between were car tyres go. Hateful stuff.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1376 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 10:10:09 »

Good advice. You obviously enjoy it. Might have to look a bit further into it.

I've got a hybrid...goes well on the road and sturdy enough to tackle tracks and fields etc. Quite heavy, so you wouldn't want to do cyclo-cross on it, but I can still chuck it over walls and fences, with a bit of effort.  If it's real MTB terrain, then I'll just wheel it for a bit and look at the views. 
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #1377 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 13:25:22 »

As Fuzzy said if you are careful you are generally ok but you always get caught out with one or two which is why I have the helium cannisters that I can activate from the drops which makes the bike lighter and less prone to damage.

How big are the helium canisters? They'd have to be pretty big to make your bike physically lighter.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1378 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 13:39:30 »

How big are the helium canisters? They'd have to be pretty big to make your bike physically lighter.

Cyclist use the special, compact, weight weenie canisters.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1379 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 13:45:47 »

Cyclist use the special, compact, weight weenie canisters.

Wink
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: