Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737343 times)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #1335 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 19:38:00 »

I read this thread everytime I see a new post. I don't understand any of it. Still.

Ha, I do the same.

Although, I have just played football and I cycled there and back.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1336 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 19:41:11 »

What you need is to buy a bike.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1337 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 19:48:13 »

Maybe someone can enlighten me

I see a lot of people around Hertford with state of the art super-lightweight carbon bling machines.

Yet they are often a stone or two overweight.
I've always wondered why they pay over the odds to save a few grams, when a couple of weeks off the pies would save considerably more weight.

Does a gram of weight on the bike have more effect than a gram of weight on the person or something ?

Because there is a whole business and media based around telling people that buying a component which is x grams lighter will make you a better rider. 

Stories in the cycling magazines suggesting to gave a big dump before you go for a ride are few and far between but it's still a way of getting weight down and considerably cheaper than a carbon stem.

However to contradict myself saving weight on wheels does make big difference.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1338 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 19:58:34 »

I'll get there. My base fitness is someway below yours at the moment. Just need more time in the saddle which means a) organising my work diary better so I'm free in the evenings and importantly b) sorting my leg pain out.

Whats up with the leg Sam?
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1339 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:02:49 »

Because there is a whole business and media based around telling people that buying a component which is x grams lighter will make you a better rider. 

Stories in the cycling magazines suggesting to gave a big dump before you go for a ride are few and far between but it's still a way of getting weight down and considerably cheaper than a carbon stem.

However to contradict myself saving weight on wheels does make big difference.

If I had a choice and there was no weight difference I'd ride a steel frame. Or a least have N+1 with a selection of frames with one being steel. And maybe a titanium. And bamboo with a Di2 groupset (that's just to confuse Sonic)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1340 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:07:15 »

Jeg forstår ingenting.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1341 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:08:05 »

Soreness just below/to the side of my left knee.

Initially thought it was knee related and therefore was looking at saddle height and cleat angle, but have found that it is more of a tendon related thing as it eases with stretching. No pain really when on the bike, just sets in for a day or so afterwards and then goes.

I didn't change much on the bike apart from the bar height, which shouldn't (in theory) affect the lower body. I think it must've be just a 'spring' injury due to upping my mileage and intensity quite a bit recently.

Although I did discover that the cleat on my left foot was a good 15mm further back than on the right, so I think I've been over extending my left leg slightly. I've moved the cleat forward a little and combined with a stretching regime I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

Failing everything else, I'll have to stump up for a professional bike fit.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1342 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:08:56 »

Jeg forstår ingenting.

Yeah you do
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1343 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:09:43 »

do NBS still pay their annual bonus ? problem solved ;o)
they do, but it'll be sorting the flat out whilst i'm away! maybe if there's anything left i'll click "buy"

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1344 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:10:21 »

Jeg forstår ingenting.

Det du trenger er å kjøpe en sykkel.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1345 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:18:04 »

Soreness just below/to the side of my left knee.

Initially thought it was knee related and therefore was looking at saddle height and cleat angle, but have found that it is more of a tendon related thing as it eases with stretching. No pain really when on the bike, just sets in for a day or so afterwards and then goes.

I didn't change much on the bike apart from the bar height, which shouldn't (in theory) affect the lower body. I think it must've be just a 'spring' injury due to upping my mileage and intensity quite a bit recently.

Although I did discover that the cleat on my left foot was a good 15mm further back than on the right, so I think I've been over extending my left leg slightly. I've moved the cleat forward a little and combined with a stretching regime I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

Failing everything else, I'll have to stump up for a professional bike fit.

I suffer with similar issues / ITB pain on my left side due to crap hamstrings which goes down the left side of my thigh,  knee and below it. Not sure if its the same cause or injury but things that helped are strengthening and stretching hamstrings and moving my cleats inward so my feet go out - wider stance if you like.  If you have gym ball I'll can send you a link to some exercises that really helped.

On a bike fit front a local tri shop apparently has the South African national team bike fit chap in and he charges £150 for a session that lasts 2-3 hours. Anyone else had this done ? Everyone I have spoken to has said it is worth it.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1346 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:21:14 »

Ja. Med intern ruting  Grin

That came out better than I was expecting
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1347 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:23:23 »

Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1348 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:38:21 »

in the absence of owt all to do this evening i decided to look at bikes to buy
this seems well kitted and light:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-agree-gtc-pro-compact-road-bike-2013/rp-prod111918

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1349 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:45:30 »

in the absence of owt all to do this evening i decided to look at bikes to buy
this seems well kitted and light:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-agree-gtc-pro-compact-road-bike-2013/rp-prod111918

chap in Hargroves once told me that Cube carbon frames are notoriously poor quality and prone to breaking/splitting. Whether this is true or not I have no experience - however they do always seem to very well priced for the spec which would imply the frames are the price saving point as opposed to the groupset.

just a thought. He said that their MTBs are brilliant though.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: