Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 741185 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1305 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 14:47:53 »

Well called Reginald.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1306 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 17:13:59 »

Out tomorrow?
nah! too sleepy

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1307 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 17:20:19 »

Pfft... weekend cyclists...
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1308 on: Monday, April 21, 2014, 16:22:18 »

I hate stupid segments like this that finish through traffic lights etc.

I didn't even turn left to go through the end of the segment and it still recorded a time for me, after I'd patiently sat waiting at the lights (no RLJing for me, thank you).

http://www.strava.com/segments/1388376
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1309 on: Monday, April 21, 2014, 19:44:06 »

I am aware this might be a slightly self indulgent post, but bare with me chaps:

I'm pretty nippy on my 11kg ish (inc tyres, pedals) Triban 3, and don't think i have that much more i could lose in terms of body fat.

I want to be able to take it to the next level (having gone travelling for a quarter of 2014), but am really not sure how much of a difference getting a bike 2.5-3kg lighter will actually have.

Would anyone like to offer an opinion?

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1310 on: Monday, April 21, 2014, 19:50:54 »

What kind of improvements are you looking for/expecting?

A lighter bike will probably help with climbing and acceleration.

You'll just have to splurge £2k on a full carbon steed and let us know Smiley
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1311 on: Monday, April 21, 2014, 19:59:40 »

I am aware this might be a slightly self indulgent post, but bare with me chaps:

I'm pretty nippy on my 11kg ish (inc tyres, pedals) Triban 3, and don't think i have that much more i could lose in terms of body fat.

I want to be able to take it to the next level (having gone travelling for a quarter of 2014), but am really not sure how much of a difference getting a bike 2.5-3kg lighter will actually have.

Getting rid of the Triban Huh?

« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 21:28:24 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1312 on: Monday, April 21, 2014, 20:00:48 »

good question! not sure if i'm honest, i might ask chaps who have significantly lighter bikes if they'd mind me having a ride on their steed!

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1313 on: Monday, April 21, 2014, 20:30:33 »

Just checked a bike forum, someone suggested having a dump before you go out  Cheesy
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1314 on: Monday, April 21, 2014, 22:27:35 »

When I upgraded from my 2004 Cannondale R800 (CAD8 Aluminium frame- ALUMINIUM NOT ALUMINUM! and carbon fork) to my 2013 Wilier Izoard XP (full carbon)  I did notice the difference. This difference was caused by a few factors though-

1) Lighther package overall.
2) Stiffer frame- less flex when putting the power down.
3) Compact double chainset as opposed to a traditional double.
4) Far better wheels.

Here is the last ride I did on it-

http://www.strava.com/activities/130998304

I regulalrly ride to work in Maidenhead and ascend Quarry Wood Road. On this ride I did an ascent, turned at the top, hacked down, turned and climbed, hacked down, turned and climbed, did a loop with a couple of other climbs followed by another hack down Quarry Wood Road, another ascent and descent. The last ascent was pushing it though, as by the time I summited, I was riding a bit slower than walking pace Doh A classic bonk.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #1315 on: Monday, April 21, 2014, 22:40:00 »

Cover yourself in lighter fluid before the ride and then as you start light a match.

You'll have to go faster to put out the flames.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1316 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 08:18:44 »

Having recently traded up I can say that it makes a difference -I even let the wife have a go at the weekend (  Eek ) and the first thing she said other than complaints about the saddle was that it was easier to go up hills on.

What is it that you want to achieve ? Going faster or more comfort ? There are a lot of bikes specifically design to go faster or to have longer days in the saddle.

A lot of shops will let you try out bikes before you buy if you leave a credit card - why not take a few steeds out for a ride ?

Another point that Fuzzy metnioned is lighter wheels. The wheels that came with my new bike were very heavy and got swapped out immediatedly for my Fulcrum Racng 3s - if you are thinking about a new bike then consider building into the budget another £400 for better wheels. 
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1317 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 11:58:13 »

He already powers away from me up hills on a heavier bike than mine, I don't want him powering away even more!

Having watched Bennett ride (ooh-err), the Triban does have a very upright style. Perhaps you may benefit from something with a bit more racier geometry? Although, having said that, I don't think I've ever seen you riding on the drops, so maybe upright is how you prefer to ride.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1318 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 16:51:49 »

What is it that you want to achieve ? Going faster or more comfort ? There are a lot of bikes specifically design to go faster or to have longer days in the saddle.

He already powers away from me up hills on a heavier bike than mine, I don't want him powering away even more!

Having watched Bennett ride (ooh-err), the Triban does have a very upright style. Perhaps you may benefit from something with a bit more racier geometry? Although, having said that, I don't think I've ever seen you riding on the drops, so maybe upright is how you prefer to ride.

I want to be able to go faster and for longer, and on my bike (wayo!). I don't think it's too much of a knobby thing to say i can go faster and longer than people i currently ride with so have a good starting position.

I've never really used the drops, the hoods are comfy enough and i've got thumb shifters, so i'd only have to come off them to change up a gear or two anyway.

In my head:
lighter bike + better kit = better ride, with some variation between models and brands for comfort/fit etc.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1319 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 16:54:39 »

A lot of shops will let you try out bikes before you buy if you leave a credit card - why not take a few steeds out for a ride ?

Another point that Fuzzy metnioned is lighter wheels. The wheels that came with my new bike were very heavy and got swapped out immediatedly for my Fulcrum Racng 3s - if you are thinking about a new bike then consider building into the budget another £400 for better wheels. 
both of these are excellent points, many thanks!

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: