Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737485 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1290 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 17:35:22 »

Callas Hill....up out of Wanborough....shortish but sharp. Along with the hill up past the Swindon Golf Club Course, the only two to merit a single black arrow on my local 1958 OS inch sheet.

I went up over Uffington to Lambourn then over to Baydon, Aldbourne, Ogbourne today - some quite nasty climbs in there.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1291 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 17:55:38 »

I went up over Uffington to Lambourn then over to Baydon, Aldbourne, Ogbourne today - some quite nasty climbs in there.

Ooh...I was out the back of Liddington, but off road following Ridgeway Path....didn't quite make it to the Ogbourne/Aldbourne road dropping down by the mast on Whitefield Hill.  Now that's a steep old thing, bad enough going down, the last time I went up it there was snow on the ground.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1292 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 18:40:16 »

Ooh...I was out the back of Liddington, but off road following Ridgeway Path....didn't quite make it to the Ogbourne/Aldbourne road dropping down by the mast on Whitefield Hill.  Now that's a steep old thing, bad enough going down, the last time I went up it there was snow on the ground.

I was looking at the Ridgeway path map online the other day and it is quite surprising how it loops round and heads north to Foxhill and then east to Uffington. I think it must be good mountain biking. Don't know where Whitefield Hill is though.

On an aside note I've been doing parts of the South Downs Way (Winchester to Eastbourne) - so far I've got from Winchester to Shoreham. It is really tough going, very lumpy with quite a bit of riding across mud and fields rather than trails.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1293 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 19:33:40 »

I was looking at the Ridgeway path map online the other day and it is quite surprising how it loops round and heads north to Foxhill and then east to Uffington. I think it must be good mountain biking. Don't know where Whitefield Hill is though.

On an aside note I've been doing parts of the South Downs Way (Winchester to Eastbourne) - so far I've got from Winchester to Shoreham. It is really tough going, very lumpy with quite a bit of riding across mud and fields rather than trails.

I quite like a bit of riding across fields etc....don't want to be doing too much, so I try and mix routes up a bit. Plenty of scope  around Swindon.

Have you ever done the London to Brighton?  I notice they've now got a 75 mile MB route.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/bike-rides/london-to-brighton/london-to-brighton-off-road.aspx
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1294 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 21:19:19 »

Haven't done London to Brighton and 75 miles off road sounds horrific. I have done part of that route - the Guildford to Shoreham  along the Downs Link which is about 40 miles.

I like to get away from the roads and cars so I go out and follow bridal paths and trails, which down here are plentiful and I am only 8 miles from the South Downs.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1295 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 11:37:38 »

Amstel Gold today....going to be a grind if Netherlands is getting the same weather as us. Very open race...maybe Gilbert?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1296 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 11:42:37 »

Coverage starts at 1pm Smiley I've managed to bin-off lunch at the in-laws to stay home and watch it.

Wouldn't mind seeing Gilbert do well. Apparently Rodriguez has abandoned, so that's my first choice gone.

For British contention, maybe Ben Swift. Favourite has to be Kwiatkowski now though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1297 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 11:52:06 »

Coverage starts at 1pm Smiley I've managed to bin-off lunch at the in-laws to stay home and watch it.

Wouldn't mind seeing Gilbert do well. Apparently Rodriguez has abandoned, so that's my first choice gone.

For British contention, maybe Ben Swift. Favourite has to be Kwiatkowski now though.

It's on Sky, but I'm going to stay loyal to Eurosport....would like to see Swift win it, he's stepped up a bit this year, but Sky just don't seem to do Classics yet.

Not a bad day for slobbing in front of the box, rather than being out  Smiley
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1298 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 11:54:45 »

I've recently lost a friend to cycling addiction.

Every conversation and every social network message refers to cycling, "just had a nice walk around Hyde Park and all I could think about was how I wish I had my bike". He's started wearing comical t-shirts referring to his love of cycling.

I wish my friend well on his journey....

Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1299 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 11:57:53 »

I've recently lost a friend to cycling addiction.

Every conversation and every social network message refers to cycling, "just had a nice walk around Hyde Park and all I could think about was how I wish I had my bike". He's started wearing comical t-shirts referring to his love of cycling.

I wish my friend well on his journey....

Smiley

Cycling can be addictive....it's all the endorphins.  I've always countered the tendency by dampening the endorphins with copious quantities of beer.

Another problem, as lovers of Flann O'Brien's Third Policeman will know is De Selbyism....whereby molecular transference happens between man and bike  Smiley
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 12:02:06 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1300 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 11:59:20 »

everyone should applaud me for riding in excess of 250km in one week, and provide me with a comic cycling based tee shirt

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1301 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 12:08:25 »

everyone should applaud me for riding in excess of 250km in one week, and provide me with a comic cycling based tee shirt

Great achievement. I was happy with my 100 miles.

What size t shirt?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1302 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 12:13:48 »

congratulations for being a freak
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1303 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 12:15:17 »

It's on Sky, but I'm going to stay loyal to Eurosport....would like to see Swift win it, he's stepped up a bit this year, but Sky just don't seem to do Classics yet.

Not a bad day for slobbing in front of the box, rather than being out  Smiley

We'll Wiggo and Thomas didn't do too bad last weekend. Thomas looks to be turning into a bit of a one day type rider, although I'm sure in the long term he'll be aiming at the stage races.

Froome is riding the LBL, but that'll just be for his Tour warm up more than anything else.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1304 on: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 12:15:39 »

Out tomorrow?
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: