Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737534 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1230 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 22:25:37 »

Must have been a fucking big squirrel to do that amount of damage  Grin
Hope it was grey and not red! (Although it was probably red afterwards)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1231 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 08:09:57 »

re tyre fit problems, either toughen up your thumbs or, for on the road, get a VAR tyre lever and for at home, a Simson Tyre Mate
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1232 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 08:13:43 »

re tyre fit problems, either toughen up your thumbs or, for on the road, get a VAR tyre lever and for at home, a Simson Tyre Mate

Having ripped my nail using my thumbs wasn't an option (and I am weak)  Grin

I was reading about the tyre mate - are they any good ?
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1233 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 10:19:53 »

Having ripped my nail using my thumbs wasn't an option (and I am weak)  Grin

I was reading about the tyre mate - are they any good ?

Yes they are. I used one a little while ago to persuade a Marathon+ onto a rim where everything else had failed.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1234 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 10:45:30 »

Yes they are. I used one a little while ago to persuade a Marathon+ onto a rim where everything else had failed.

From experience are Schwalbe easier to fit ?
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #1235 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 11:17:01 »

Took a while of looking for it, but this is the video where i get my technique from.

There seems to be loads of videos that are just crap really. If you want to know how to do something...get an old english bloke with a beard and glasses to show you how.

I dont use toe straps or cable ties because im not putting on a marathon plus and im hard as...
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1236 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 11:26:28 »

For me it depends on the toughness of the tyre. A fast, soft carcass tyre nearly always seems to fit easier (though there are some rim/ tyre combos that are absolute bastards no matter what).

A good puncture resistant tyre with hardcase technology is generally a bastard whatever (though some rim/ tyre combinations (very few) result in more grief keeping the tyre on before you inflate Roll Eyes ). As a result, Schwlabe Marathon+ are notoriously real fuckers.

There is a YouTube vid somewheer of a mechanic fitiing an M+ using toe straps etc to keep the bead in place. I generally do it in the workshop and use this technique-

Get all the bead on one side into the groove then insert a very slightly inflated tube. Start to insert the second bead, starting at the valve. Insert about half the bead, working both sides of the valve, working with the tyre against your midriff, inserting the bead that is away from you. Once half the bead is done, push the valve into the tyre (keeping a bit of the valve sticking out of the valve hole so you can get hold of it). This gives you room in the rim to get the bead as far into the rim as possible, giving you more slack at the sectioon of bead you are about to work on. Keep working your way round the bead, forcing the seated bead into the rim as deep as you can. When you get to the last few inches where it gets really tight, place the wheel flat on a bench and use the axle stub or cassette as soemthing to hold the rim in place whilst you lean against it, providing more slack to work with. Now is the time to grip the tyre on both sides of the yet to be inserted bead and try and roll the bead into the rim with the heels of your palms- a lot less stress on the thumb joints. A lot of leaning and feeding the bead around the rim will give enough slack to roll the bead in.

Once the tyre is fitted, put the wheel down and down a pint of finest whatever. Youv'e earned it Cheesy

Edit- cross post with WEBBERhyde who sounds like he found the vid i mentioned
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1237 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 11:29:08 »

Thanks all.

I think I am a bit of big girls blouse  Grin
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1238 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 12:39:00 »

Took a while of looking for it, but this is the video where i get my technique from.

Do you think he'd fit in my saddle bag ?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1239 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 12:48:07 »

It worries me that everyone seems to complain about certain tyres being a 'bit of a bastard' but I haven't had that much trouble with mine nor my kids mtb's. Haven't had to change a tube on the road bike yet, but am guessing that road bike tyres must be harder to put on than mtb ones?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1240 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 13:09:08 »

It worries me that everyone seems to complain about certain tyres being a 'bit of a bastard' but I haven't had that much trouble with mine nor my kids mtb's. Haven't had to change a tube on the road bike yet, but am guessing that road bike tyres must be harder to put on than mtb ones?

Road tyres and, to a certain extent tyres for hybrids tend to put up more of a fight than MTB tyres as they are a narrower tyre with less carcass to get to grips with and flex. Some MTB tyres can be a snug fit- especially now tubeless tyres are becoming more popular.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1241 on: Friday, April 11, 2014, 17:58:57 »

Just took the tyre off to check for sharps etc and manage to get it back on using this technique with no tyres levers

Superb advice, worth watching.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1242 on: Friday, April 11, 2014, 20:41:01 »

Paris-Roubaix on Sunday boys and girls...who'd you fancy?

I'd imagine Cancellara must be favourite, having recently caned the Tour of Flanders. Sepp Vanmarke, was the only rider who could last the burgs with him there...and I've a feeling a Belgium will take it this year. Boonen has looked in decent form....Wiggo is riding, but he doesn't look like a cobbles man to me.  Ian Stannard might have been an outside bet, but he fell into a ditch recently and busted a vertabra  Sad

Johan Von Summeran...is another who could have contended, but crashed into a spectator recently.

Not sure if Sagan is in it...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1243 on: Friday, April 11, 2014, 21:40:56 »

Poor Sepp must hate the sight of Cancellara right now. Narrowly beaten by him in the Roubaix velodrome last year and then lost to him in Flanders too.

Sagan is trying to become a bit more of a one day rider, so could feature. I'd like to see Thomas get close, but seems to have the knack of getting caught up in crashes.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #1244 on: Friday, April 11, 2014, 22:19:51 »

Just took the tyre off to check for sharps etc and manage to get it back on using this technique with no tyres levers

Superb advice, worth watching.

It's amazing the amount of YouTube videos about that just say to use brute force and a tyre lever. With very tight tyres that's just asking for trouble for one or more of the tyre lever, tyre, rim, tube and and fleshy bits of human that get between any of that lot under a lot of strain. As I said before, if you want to know how to do something properly, get an old bloke with a beard and the shitest handycam he can find to show you. Amazing how so few people know how to do it properly.

Hard to look like Faboo again this year for Roubaix. Shame about stannard, he would have given it a right go, hopefully Thomas can avoid the inevitable plie-ups for once. But after last year, I'd really like to see Zdenek Stybar manage to hang on to wheels of the breakaway and see if he can make it to the velodrome with them this time. He was so unlucky last year, but still came out a hero with his incredible bike control.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: