Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737334 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1215 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 15:33:14 »

I've only suffered one puncture on the road bike and that was a very loud 'pop' followed by a very rapid deflation.

That was on an original tube that came with the bike, can't remember the make. I replaced it with a Spesh tube and haven't had any trouble since. Saying that, I'm bound to get a puncture this weekend.

For tyres I have Schwalbe Luganos. Seem to be a decent all rounder tyre and when I did have the puncture it was an absolute piece of piss to get off.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1216 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 15:39:25 »

Cheers Reg/Sam

It'll be interesting to try a different tyre and see if its any different or whether its hindered by my wheel choice.

Be good to hear Bennett/Horlock/NBR views
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 19:12:42 by Bewster » Logged
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1217 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 18:18:02 »

i've had one puncture, and it must've been slow as i commuted in, left the bike in the bike shed and came back to it and was running on the rim. being a tard i didn't have a spare inner or repair kit (lessons have since been learned).

michelin pro course 4's (black on black, naturally) and for innertubes i use the cheapest naff crap i could get my hands on through wiggle. i think it was 6 inners for £5.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #1218 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 18:47:25 »

Currently running conti 4 seasons, quite tight, but not as bad as gatorskins.

Never really really struggled to get a tyre on or off though. Trick when getting the tyre back on. Wen you've got as much of the bead as you can get into the rim in, put your hands on the tyre directly opposite where the bead is not on the rim and run your hands either side of the circumference of the wheel, pushing the tyre into the rim as you go round. It usually moves the excess bead of the tyre in the rim, round to where it is too tight. You should have enough slack to hoick the remaining bead into the rim with a tyre lever if need be.

I've never had trouble with getting a tyre on after doing that. My technique might be quite good because I've changed lots of tyres and inner tubes though.

4 seasons seem to have a good balance between speed and durability for me. Most punctures I get are from pinch punctures from hitting potholes or shallow kerb edges at speed. Keep your tyres at a decent pressure, I run 100psi on 28mm, and that shouldn't happen.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1219 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 18:58:11 »

Just don't hit any squirrels, like the bloke Bennett and I encountered last weekend.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1220 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 19:14:24 »

Just don't hit any squirrels, like the bloke Bennett and I encountered last weekend.

You cant just say that and not give us more info  Grin

Cheers Webber - sound advice
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1221 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 19:32:50 »

Front wheel was fucked. Busted a spoke and the wheel was well out of true. Bennett had to give the bloke a lend of his Allen keys to undo the brake calliper so the guy could limp it home.

And yes, we saw said squirrel painted across the road as we went on our way.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #1222 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 19:36:40 »

Front wheel was fucked. Busted a spoke and the wheel was well out of true. Bennett had to give the bloke a lend of his Allen keys to undo the brake calliper so the guy could limp it home.

Heartless bastards cyclists. Bet he accelerated to hit it.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1223 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 19:39:06 »

Sounds nasty. Was he ok ??
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1224 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 19:52:39 »

The cyclist was fine. He was desperate to get home and grab another wheel so he could get back out!
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1225 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 19:53:11 »

The squirrel on the other hand... RIP.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1226 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 19:56:22 »

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1227 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 20:12:36 »

I run gator skins on whatever tubes happen to be on sale when I happen to be in stood in a queue in a bike shop... think we are running on Bonty ones at the moment.

Tyres are a total arse to get on and off rims,  running on winter wheels at the moment and dreading putting them back on the fulcrum summer wheels shortly as it normally means at least one pinched tube.

Last puncture was 30+mph pinch flat,  frightened the balls out of me and wrecked the tube,  but suspect caused by road surface rather than anything else.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1228 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 21:30:13 »

Tyres are a total arse to get on and off rims,  running on winter wheels at the moment and dreading putting them back on the fulcrum summer wheels shortly as it normally means at least one pinched tube.

Glad its not just me
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1229 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 21:47:48 »

Must have been a fucking big squirrel to do that amount of damage  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: